• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Sea kayak in the shop.

Reaction score
A kev/glass Current Designs Solstice ST ended up in my shop. A little wet sanding, and wax should fix up the deck. A new SeaLect hatch in the bow, new back band and new straps for the rear hatch, will finish her off nice.

Last edited:
What year?

I think CD has been making the Solstice for quite a while, and that looks like an older style hatch.

Golly that hatch looks like the bow hatch of hubbys Wilderness Systems Shenai.. he got a sleeping bag stuck in there good once and was trying to pull it out from above..laying on a chickee

No Title

I can't find a HIN. I did find this build plate. That 8" round hatch was redesigned in later boats.

Attachments

• photo2945.jpg
    photo2945.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 0
I can't find a HIN. I did find this build plate.

I have no idea how to “read” that build plate. July of ’03 maybe?

Out of curiosity how is the inside of the hull in the heel scuff area? Or, if you can get a look, under the seat?

Those seem to be the heavy wear areas in well used kayaks.

EDIT: Heel scuff areas are readily apparent. Not so visible the seat.

We did some repairs to a friend’s old and abused Impex Assateague. The seat hanger to the cowling had cracked and we removed the seat entirely before making repairs.

The underside of the seat had 3 thin wedges of foam cushioning and protecting the hull below the seat. Or had had, only two were still there; one was missing entirely and the other two had been compressed to paper thin and worn through in the places, hence the abrasion below the seat (and probably why the “hanger” bit cracked).

The hull below the seat had been seriously scuffed and abraded, well into the cloth.

Even if you can’t remove the seat or see below it might be worth stuffing some wedges of minicel underneath with a bit of epoxy smeared atop and below to hold them in place.

Last edited:
No Title

What do you know, one other sticker under the grime. No wear at all on heel areas. No signs of damage below the seat.

Attachments

• photo2951.jpg
    photo2951.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 0
Back