• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Sawyer Summersong restoration

Alright I need some explaining. That looks great. Was that sanding, filling, sanding, painting? Did you also have to strip that ugly brown off or just sand?

Thanks Kaine

Stripping, lot's of sanding, filling in, sanding again, primer, final coat then clear coat. Next time, I'd go to home depot and buy cheap spray paint.

Thanks, she's a nice ride too. Coming from fast sea kayaks and a surf ski, I found the Summersong very easy to paddle and quite fast, with a double blade paddle.

I have seen mailboxes on piers on some lakes where the USPS (remember them?) actually delivered mail by boat. Given the original brown color of the Sawyer I wonder if that wasn't the UPS canoe for some lake.;)

Andy,

That's a beautiful job you completed. I've always had a soft spot for those DY Sawyers, the hull shape is very similar to my DY Special.
What paint did you use? And what spray equipment?
I am building a J Winters Kite soonly, and I am undecided whether to paint the exterior or use pigmented covering coats.

I have seen mailboxes on piers on some lakes where the USPS (remember them?) actually delivered mail by boat. Given the original brown color of the Sawyer I wonder if that wasn't the UPS canoe for some lake.;)

I spent my summers on a lake where that was done. The mail boat was a 20-ft Thompson inboard.

Oh my ... what a beautiful job. The boat deserved better than cheap spray paint (which comment I suspect was made tongue-in-cheek). The Summersong is indeed a fast boat. I believe it takes something like 8 strokes to the side (single-blade paddle) to get it to start turning.

About the paint. I bought cans of a "good" quality automotive spray paint. I drove around for weeks looking at cars. I knew I wanted an ivory color and found that Chrysler had a nice ivory that I thought would look good. Each can cost me nearly $20. The boat scratches easily, and I'm Ok with that. Next time I paint it, Home depot epoxy based spray paint is what I'll use, much cheaper.

Took it out yesterday and was on the water at dawn, all alone, falls colors, and saw 3 otters. Took the photo below with my cell. Boat photographs well.

1377242_637576132959906_975459906_n.jpg

Back