• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Robin's move

Reaction score
Robin........
I googled Appleton Maine to see what part of the world you are moving to. First map on google maps that popped up, showed Robbins Lumber, when I clicked on them I saw all the beautiful White Pine products that can be bought.
I have long enjoyed reading about all the outdoor things a person can do in Maine.
Last book I read was Randy Spencer WHERE COOL WATER FLOWS about being a Maine Guide. if you like fiction, I have also liked reading the Game Warden stories by Paul Doiron MIKE BOWDITCH MYSTERIES.
Good luck on the move, many happy days In Maine.
Be Safe
.........Birchy
p.s. tried to send this as a PM but your message center tell me that it is full.

Robin........
I googled Appleton Maine to see what part of the world you are moving to. First map on google maps that popped up, showed Robbins Lumber, when I clicked on them I saw all the beautiful White Pine products that can be bought.
I have long enjoyed reading about all the outdoor things a person can do in Maine.
Last book I read was Randy Spencer WHERE COOL WATER FLOWS about being a Maine Guide. if you like fiction, I have also liked reading the Game Warden stories by Paul Doiron MIKE BOWDITCH MYSTERIES.
Be Safe
.........Birchy
p.s. tried to send this as a PM but your message center tell me that it is full.

Lol Birchy.. The PM message box confounds me too.. I can't seem to empty mine. Farmy country Appleton is but it is rolling and forested too.. A great place to get veggies and meat right from the farm. In the area there are Amish too. And not far from the North Maine Woods nor the seacoast. The best thing is that area is ...filled with country general stores and the tourists have no idea it is there.

DougD do you have any emptying the PM box advice? Not meaning to hijack here.

Hijack away, as that is what happens with my own posts, just train of thoughts. I read something, sparks a thought, add that to a thread. Like the other day, Mike mentioned Ham & Lima Beans in C-rat's, I responded. Still thinking about them and Vietnam days later. What old people do.

Robin........
I googled Appleton Maine to see what part of the world you are moving to. First map on google maps that popped up, showed Robbins Lumber
Be Safe
.........Birchy

Thanks Birchy, Yup[SUB], Robbins Lumber will be my go to place. We are looking forward to the move, while we loved our place in Connecticut we felt it was time to support our daughter and her family. I am looking forward to spending time with my grandsons and exploring some great country with them, Actually there is some really nice paddling nearby, the St George’s River for one. Here’s an open invitation to any members heading north and beading a place to hang your hat, we have plenty of room. I will need to clean out my in box first.

ps-Boreal Birch and I have never met, we live on either side of this great country, yet we share a Brotherhood that was formulated 50 plus years ago in a country half way around the world.[/SUB]

Robin........
Be Safe
.........Birchy

Appleton is the finish of a delightful canoe race, down the St George River from "downtown" Searsmont to the ME 105 bridge. Traditionally that's the beginning of the race season, always the last Saturday in March. A certain amount of ice is considered normal. According to my shirts Robbins Lumber is a longtime sponsor (thanks guys), and their mill is just downstream from the most entertaining rapid.

On the subject of Maine books, David Cook's Above the Gravel Bar, about native canoe routes and the canoeing way of life, is my favorite.

Robin, hope you enjoy Maine. I know I have. Some of the best social distancing in the lower 48.

Good luck with your move Robin

David Cook's Above the Gravel Bar is a great book

Thanks for the heads up Sweeper, I’ll look for that book.

The horses have found new homes, one in far northern Maine. As 3 year old mustangs they needed to start proper training, my job of getting them out of the federal holding areas and gentling them was done. I’m leaving the chickens with the new owners, good for both my girls and the young family moving here.

Good luck with the move Robin. I have genealogical roots in northern Maine which is probably the one state I'd be comfortable to live in. Some of Maine's wilderness reminds me of home. Enjoy the grand kids and being close to family. Once you are settled in and comfy and a trip to LV crosses your mind you have a Quebécois up here looking to paddle with you again.
Stay safe,
G.

Last edited:
Good luck with the move, Robin. Sounds like a real good deal. Now I have a couple of excuses to visit Appleton - a lumber yard and a chance at a cold one around the burn pile.

Best wishes on your new adventure.

Fitz

Thanks Gerald, I tried to renew my passport card, they didn’t like the picture, sent it back. Geez, They know how to hurt a guy. Someday we will share a campsite, always enjoy our talks.

Hey Fitz, Your on, my door is always open.

Back