• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Risk management is sucking life out of paddling trips

Gotta agree that schools and time spent in the classroom and school yard have changed a lot... in my day, the worst that happened was kids getting the strap from the principal, or getting tongues frozen to the iron fence. Now it's shootings, unwanted sex ed, evolution vs creation, climate change denier rights, anti-sex-ed rights, bullying, girl gang violence, and probably worst of all, bans on cell phones in the classroom. I'm sure there are kids there smart enough to figure out how to fight back against that.

frivolous_lawsuit.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	frivolous_lawsuit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	101305

I can see where schools would start asking, "what's in it for us?" as they look at continuing similar programs. I'm guessing those programs don't bring in the money that sports do but they still incur significant expense and risk. What responsibilities do/should schools have for "getting kids outside"?

What would it take for more schools to participate? I'm assuming if a school decides they want a football program there is already a system in place and they can climb on board with everyone else; most important of which is probably insurance and a public that accepts that as being a "normal" school activity and is likely to give plenty of support and money. What if a school decides they want a program that takes kids outdoors? I'd assume that would be more difficult to get off the ground and sustain than a football program.

If your football coach leaves you hire another one. And if he turns out to be a terrible coach you start loosing games. If your remote trip leader leaves where do you find another one? And if he turns out to be a terrible leader you start loosing kids.

Is there/could there be anything else available that offers kids a similar opportunity without excluding the majority due to cost?

Alan

I'm guessing those programs don't bring in the money that sports do but they still incur significant expense and risk.

Certainly a big D1 football or basketball program brings in the bucks; see palatial college football stadiums, basketball arenas and training facilities. Some dribble of that cash flow hopefully keeps the field hockey and cross country teams afloat. I wonder if any filters down to non-“athletic” programs like caving or paddling clubs?

Depending on where you live a successful high school football team may be a cash cow (see facilities again).

What responsibilities do/should schools have for "getting kids outside"?

Responsibility? I think public schools have a responsibility for (I’d prefer semi- unstructured) “recess” early on and some later introduction to athletics in gym class.

Of course Dodgeball is out. And everyone gets a trophy. Some high schools now offer varsity letters for. . . .”Electronic Sports”. I want a Letterman’s jacket for Grand Theft Auto.

Maybe not “responsibility” for outdoor pursuits but, if possible, at least “opportunity”. I had the good fortune to attend high school with teachers who led hikes, paddling trips and even took groups caving. I do not believe there was any special insurance for those beyond a permission slip. I have several friends who got their start in the Penn State clubs, came out knowledgeable and continued the experiences.

This indoor “recreation” era seems the worst of times to lose some introduction to the outdoors.

Is there/could there be anything else available that offers kids a similar opportunity without excluding the majority due to cost?

Scouting, although that has, um, prices to pay. And the pseudo-militarized, uniformed, oath talking aspects undoubtedly turn off some kids. Or parents.

On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

(I expect to catch some heck for that).

Church groups, but Lordy I have encountered some terribly organized and poorly led church groups. Jesus is not your bowman, and mid-rapids prayer is often ineffective.

There is one other group. What are they called? Oh, yeah - Parents. But that supposes the parents have the skills and experiences to lead even their own kids.

Catch 22, those may be skills and experiences developed in an Outers program, Scouts or bold teacher. Or via their own parents.

I stated early with my dad. My sons started early on family trips. A lot of those trips included other families with like age kids. Many of those kids still paddle.

There is always that family tradition pass-down method. Best started early to catch them young, and best made enjoyable before any hardship trips begin.

My local high school, on the edge of the Adirondacks, has a segment of spring gym class for several weeks to teach canoeing on the nearby canal with a 5 minute bus ride from school. I have been assisting the phys ed dept coach for a couple of years in helping to instruct the finer points of paddling. Mostly the program is met with indifference (just another gym class where "I can't use my phone"), or worse with incompetence and an "I don't care" attitude. Even though most do make notable progress by the end of the program. But that probably is all that can be expected with a sesson of only 40 minutes once or twice a week. Unfortunately I don't know that any of the students actually get much inspired, or expect to add canoeing to their activity routine in the near future. But we try.

Last edited:
Back