• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

RIP Fitz

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
John Fitzgerald of Concord, Massachusetts, a member here since 2013 under the screen name Fitz, passed away yesterday from cancer. He was a lover and restorer of wood/canvas canoes.

Sorry to hear that. Rest in peace. May his family feel the support and love of those around them in this difficult time- my condolences

What a great guy talking to a newbi here when I met him up in the ADK's a few times.. Loved his posts, RIP Fitz.

RIP Fitz. I never had the pleasure of meeting Fitz in person, but he was always generous with sharing his knowledge of wood canvas canoes. I'll miss his posts. Condolences to his family.

Horrible news.

Unfortunate to have not met Fitz other than on the net. Fitz was generous sharing pertinent information in many areas of canoeing and tripping. Truly an admirable trait.

Life is not fair. As the saying goes: with every death, a library closes.

Thank you Fitz, may you part waves with the greatest of ease.

A very nice obit. I wish I could have made the time to take Fitz up on his offer to meet him for a paddle in Concord and try out one of his E.M. White canoes.

Here is a post by Fitz from August 2019 discussing his cancer in some detail:

John was a good friend who helped me many times by answering my endless Chestnut Canoe restoration questions. We shared more than a few campsites, from NY’s ADKs to Maine, he was just a friendly interesting humble guy.
John also helped me as we shared our battle with cancer, he seemed genuinely interested in my situation which helped me thru the low times.
Tomorrow, as I sit in the chair down at the VA while they begin my 4th out of 6 chemo treatments I will think of John and say a prayer for both of us.

Back