• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Removable Stern Seat

Reaction score
The other topic got me thinking about maximizing space when paddling the prospector solo from the bow. Anyone done this? Perhaps with a lowered thwart to which a seat could be attached for tandem use?

Haven't done it but since most seats just hang from the gunnels with a few bolts, one could easily remove the stern seat if you anticipated paddling backwards from the bow and easily reattach the original seat in a few minutes to convert it back to tandem use if you were taking a trip with a paddling partner.

In my 16’ Bell, there was a thwart immediately behind the bow seat which you won’t have to deal with. I had to remove it so I can paddle it backwards and don’t notice any added flex. I occasionally remove the front seat for more dog room, but it is so infrequent that I do as Alsg describes. In my Northstar the seat is permanently removed and stored in the basement. It looks like you won’t have any support between the carry handle thwart and yoke with the seat removed, so if it feels like it needs stiffened, you could always cut one to size and install in a pair of holes used by the seat. Both my Prospector and Northstar have a intermediate thwart between the yoke and carry handle. Enjoy the new boat!

Barry

Back