• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Recommendations for fixed blade knife

I have a cold steel Canadian belt knife. great blade shape,great corrosion and edge holding steel. holds a nice edge,and unbelievably cheap. yes I know it's not full tang. My go to deer hunting knife. Wish there was a way to be sure of getting the same steel in another cold steel knife.
Turtle

I have have the Benchmade 940 Osborne folder
I have a Spyderco 79mm Rescue folder with VG10 stainless steel for that.
my Benchmade Mini Griptilian 555 with 154CM stainless steel,
or my Kershaw Blur with Sandvik 14C28N steel

Still thinking.

I’m thinking “Dayum, you got a lotta nice knives for a guy who trips with few (or none) and wants another.

And I’m right there with ya. I want a new/different rescue knife for my PFD lash tab. But that’s another story

Originally posted by Glenn MacGrady

I have have the Benchmade 940 Osborne folder
I have a Spyderco 79mm Rescue folder with VG10 stainless steel for that.
my Benchmade Mini Griptilian 555 with 154CM stainless steel,
or my Kershaw Blur with Sandvik 14C28N steel

Posted by Mike McCrea

I’m thinking “Dayum, you got a lotta nice knives for a guy who trips with few (or none) and wants another.

Well, Mike, it's not logical to assume that just because I don't have and know nothing about clamps that I don't have and no nothing about everything. (Is that a sentence?)

A few years ago I lost my best folding knife in the rest room of a Burger King the morning of a seven day trip in the Adirondacks. Pissed. So when I got home, I went on a research binge about current folding knives and blade steels. I ended up buying four different folders, each with a different type of blade edge, blade shape and blade stainless steel.

The Benchmade Mini Griptilian with combo edge has become my favorite EDC knife, for ergonomic reasons, even though I like the S30V steel of the Benchmade Osborne better. I originally bought the Mini Grip as my PFD knife, but I liked it so much for EDC that I bought the Spyderco for the PFD.

However, folders can't do any serious batoning or slash chopping. The folding mechanism can't take abuse. Hence the cold winter slutty desire for a decent fixed blade, which I haven't had since my boy scout knife.

You can find lots of discussion of blade steels on Bladeforums.com, not always informed, and there are knife metallurgy sites with technical info.

I have a number of MORAs and a couple of the Condor knives. The MORAs are cheap and come sharp. The carbon steel MORAs will take a very nice edge with a little work on Japanese water stones. The stainless MORAs are good water knives with the plastic sheaths. I prefer the 840 Clipper (now called the Companion). Neither of my Condor knives were sharp when I unboxed them and I believe that they both had drunken edges. I have a four inch Bushlore knife and a five inch Bushcraft Basic knife. I was able to sharpen the Bushlore knife to a nice edge and it seems to hold up pretty well. The handle is full tang, but a bit small for my hand. The Bushcraft Basic knife is a kind of westernized Leuku knife with a full tang handle. I was able to sharpen it, but couldn't keep the original blade angle, as it was too acute to hold up. I think that I went with a 22 Deg. angle. The Leuku knife is pretty close to a universal knife, as the Laplanders seem to use them for everything, including batoning.

Last edited:
EGAD, I spent all day looking at videos, reading reviews and searching for prices. I have three favorites as of now.

My top favorite for function and quality is the Fallkniven S1 Forester with Zytel sheath, but it's the most expensive. The best price I can find is $168 total.

SWEDS1K.jpg

My second favorite as to function and quality, and my top favorite for aesthetics, is the Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter, which I can get for $116 total with a one-time special code 51% discount direct from Benchmade.

benchmade_bushcrafter_fixed_blade_knife_1361565_1_og.jpg

My third favorite as to function and quality, but by far the least expensive, is the Mora Bushcraft Black Carbon, which I can get for $36 and probably free shipping with a coupon code. There is also a model with more expensive sheath, which has a firesteel loop and a built-in sharpening stone, but that adds at least $20.

m-12043-bushcraft-black.jpg.png

It's really hard to pass up the Mora, which gets high marks from all reviewers, for the price of two pizzas. It's also hard to pass up a one-time 51% discount from Benchmade, which I have no use for other than this knife.

Who started THIS KNIFE CRAZE HERE. We used to have normal crazes about bears and guns.

I'm thinking you'd like the Benchmade drop point knife. When I suggested the Buck it was because I didn't understand your price point (6) and was looking for the cheapest acceptable knife in this style.

I'm thinking you'd like the Benchmade drop point knife. When I suggested the Buck it was because I didn't understand your price point (6) and was looking for the cheapest acceptable knife in this style.

Second the Benchmade. I was also thinking you were after a less expensive knife thus my Buck model suggestion. I do my wood management with a small GB wildlife hatchet thus no real batoning experience though.

is there some designated code for variations of stainless steel. As in some letter/number code to look for that indicates higher quality stainless?

Glenn answered part of that question – yes there is some letter/number code that indicates various stainless steels.

my favorite S30V stainless steel.
Spyderco 79mm Rescue folder with VG10 stainless steel
Benchmade Mini Griptilian 555 with 154CM stainless steel

I may end up with something in Spyderco’s H1nitrogen-fixed steel, since it has proven absoutley rustproof over 10 years of saltwater trips with zero maintainence, but for a lash tab attached knife the surety of attachment may be my overriding concern. If I find a PFD knife in stainless that I feel assured will stay in place I may go that way.

So, the second part of that question – what SS code to look for in a knife that will see a lot of salt water exposure?

Edge holding and sharpening are lesser concerns, as I do not use my PFD knife for camp chores, cooking or wood play.

My lizard brain price point always drifts upward whenever I start seriously shopping for anything. Unfortunately, my wallet no longer lives in the same zip code as my brain. I really can't afford the quality I'd like for anything any more.

I've been impressed in the videos as to how much batoning can be done with certain fixed blade knives and how I lack some basic wood processing skills like feathersticking and extracting dry tinder from the center of logs. It seems clear that a fixed blade of a certain size, blade width and full tang is best for batoning and aggressive bushcraft usage, especially if I don't have an axe.

The Mora Bushcraft Black Carbon is the widest and strongest blade in their product line, so that's the only Mora I'd consider for bushcraft/survival type applications. The price is so tempting, but I don't really like the black and tactical look on any knife.

The Fallknivens are unquestionably a leading quality contender for these applications. Some, however, are actually made in Japan. The price of the S1 is probably too much for me. I can get Hoop's blade, the F1, for about $130. But the Benchmade is half an inch longer, even less money with my discount, and I like the aesthetics of the Benchmade a lot better. The Fallkniven, meant for Scandivian climate survival, probably has a better handle for cold weather and non-slippery grip, but I don't do any cold weather camping and don't really like the looks of black thermoplastic handles.

The 162 Bushcrafter is only Benchmade's second foray into that market, the first being a failure, in 2012. The 162 was initially snubbed by online "bushcraft experts", mainly because it was stainless steel instead of carbon and it had a very different grip. The named designer is Shane Sibert, and the Benchmade 162 is modeled very closely after his $425+ custom knife called the Sibert Cascadia Bushcrafter. The Benchmade 162 is now getting a lot more recognition and was named Field & Stream's best fixed blade knife of 2013. There are now a lot of online reviews for it, this being one by a seeming actual bushcraft instructor, who recommends the Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter as his favorite with the Mora Bushcraft Black Carbon as an inexpensive backup:

The grind on the Benchmade is unusual. It's a tapering flat saber grind that ends with very sharp secondary edge. Hence, it's stronger and has better edge retention than a Scandi grind, which tapers more sharply and completely flatly with no secondary edge. And the S30V "super steel" is a much, much higher quality steel than the carbon or stainless steels used in Moras.

Mike, does your last question about stainless steel corrosion "codes" belong in this thread or your PFD blade thread? My feeling is that any SS is sufficiently anti-corrosive for PFD usage, just as I think any SS would be sufficient for a fixed blade on my belt in a canoe. Various SS's have many different properties, including corrosion tendency, Rockwell hardness, edge retention, ease of sharpening, bend and torsion strength, grain size, etc. You can find tables of these things. If absolute corrosion resistance is the only Holy Grail to the exclusion of every other SS attribute, then I would look at the SS in the Spyderco Salt Series and in the Benchmade H2O Griptilian, which I identified in your PFD thread.

Geeze, I remember back in the day some older guy would tell me that something was good and I would buy it. What the heck was I thinking? How did we buy anything before the interweb?

Geeze, I remember back in the day some older guy would tell me that something was good and I would buy it. What the heck was I thinking? How did we buy anything before the interweb?

Yeah, but now Glenn is the older guy. Gotta be tough taking advice from whipper snappers. ;)

Alan

Mike, does your last question about stainless steel corrosion "codes" belong in this thread or your PFD blade thread? My feeling is that any SS is sufficiently anti-corrosive for PFD usage, just as I think any SS would be sufficient for a fixed blade on my belt in a canoe. Various SS's have many different properties, including corrosion tendency, Rockwell hardness, edge retention, ease of sharpening

Glenn, I think this thread is where I had asked about SS “codes” and what they indicated, so I came back to that question here.

I would look at the SS in the Spyderco Salt Series and in the Benchmade H2O Griptilian, which I identified in your PFD thread.

Thanks. I will probably look first at a Spyderco Salt H1 fixed blade, that material having stood ny salt water test of time, but I’ll consider the Griptilian as well. The choices in lash tab security will probably be the deciding factor.

I can attest that not any or all SS is sufficiently corrosion free in salt water use. Having lost my Spyderco Salt folder off my PFD I’ve been carrying one of the rusty “stainless steel” Byrd Cara Caras on the lash tab.

Yeah, now that probably belonged on the PFD blade thread.

Originally posted by memaquay

Posted in repartee by Alan Gage

Yeah, but now Glenn is the older guy. Gotta be tough taking advice from whipper snappers.

Yes, to my great surprise and disappointment, I am now one of the older guys.

And if I have any wisdom to pass on it's this: Listen to other people's opinions on things, but then do your own bloody and thorough research. This internet is miraculous for that very purpose.

Of course, one old age advantage I have is that I'm unemployed; and I've been a lifetime researcher plus I like to write. So I have the time and affirmatively enjoy researching things and then writing them up for the information, education or amusement of others.

Well, Glenn, I really admire the research you have conducted on these knives, and the way you did it so quickly. In fact, you may cause me to put another knotch in my mastercard before the night is out. I like that Mora knife, well, in particular, I like the price. My goodness, a purchase that small wouldn't even register on my Master Card. I bought a book for my kobo last night that cost more. I bought supper for the family tonight, and it cost way more........gosh, I'm almost there....did you pull the trigger yet? If so, what did you get? Ha ha, I guess I'm just living up to my code, waiting for you to tell me what to buy. Not that I'm calling you old....but you can call me fat if it makes you feel better.

And if I have any wisdom to pass on it's this: Listen to other people's opinions on things, but then do your own bloody and thorough research. This internet is miraculous for that very purpose.

I'm with you 100%.

Alan

I like that Mora knife, well, in particular, I like the price.

Memaquay, the best price I've found on the Mora Bushcraft Carbon Black is at the Cutlery Shoppe, $35.99 US. You may get free shipping with the code "nutnfancy", at least in the US. Don't know about Canada. (Nutnfancy is one of the best known knife reviewers on YouTube.)

HERE is a very thorough written review of the knife in the field.

Last edited:
Well Glenn, I too use the internet to check out things, the wealth of information is sometimes overwhelming. But at the end of the day if you're going to buy a knife for use, it's got to fit your hand for you to really like it. Oh, you can hang on to every knife out there assuming you've got fingers and a thumb, but for it to feel right, only your hand will know. Of course, if it's mostly for looks it doesn't matter.

Frankly Glenn, I'm a little bit puzzled how you got to retirement age and never fiddled with knives much. As I understand it, you don't want to take care of it, sharpening and what not, this is pretty basic stuff for anyone in the outdoors. All this inquiry in to steels and various grinds is rendered moot if you let the edge become blunt and rusted and or gummed up.
Re-reading your original post, you say you want a fixed blade knife and then start in on all the things you don't want to do with it. The little bit you do want to do, can be done with any of your folders.

About the self defense stuff: You're not a knife fighter if you're thinking about bad guys and to be able to kill a bear with a knife, for you or me, about the only way is if he laughs himself to death. You really need to think about all this some more.

Best Wishes, Rob

Back