• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Reason the site was down 8/12/15

Reaction score
I had been receiving notices that my SQL size was over limit. As has been the case from day one here, finding a reliable webmaster with experience with vBulletin has been difficult to say the least.
So the when my current webmaster ignored my requests for help with this issue, the folks who host the site shut it down to get my attention.
Bottom line is I need to find an affordable webmaster who is experienced with vBulletin to go in and clean up some unneeded files to keep the site under the quota and also to perform the needed updates.
The other option is to sign up for a new plan which would go from $16 a month to $150 a month with unlimited quota. That would require too much of a commitment to come up with the funds.
I'm open to leads in finding a new webmaster. First, and most importantly, they must be experienced with vBulletin. This is a must, I tried ojt and it was an expensive mistake. They also must understand this is a small website and probably will always be small, the work load and income derived will not be all that much. Ideally, if you have an idea, before you make a suggestion, do the homework, find out if they know vBulletin, will they commit to such a small amount of revenue and then let me know.
Thank You

I have asked around with my IT techs, no one seems to be up on the V Bulletin stuff. I'll keep looking. In the meantime, I bet there are quite a few people who would be willing to finance a month. If 24 people ponied up 150 bucks each, we'd have two years. I'm in for that.

Robin,

Thanks for all you do behind the scenes. I don't understand the technical side of any of it. What if you could get enough funds to float the site with unlimited quota, does that help the situation? Does it give you breathing room to find the right person to handle the IT? I'm with Memaquay, I'd be in for four months if it helps get another year to work things out. Maybe some online raffles. I could come up with something for a virtual raffle (certificate for a paddle of pack?). Or pay for materials if one of the boat builders would donate the time for a stripper or W/C renovation (that may have some logistical issues for the winner but I'd help with that too). That would be a heck of a raffle right there. But alas, maybe the issue is bigger than money. I don't know bojangles about computers. I don't even turn mine off because I'm afraid I might not be able to start it up again.

Cheers,

Barry

I really don't want to go with that big a monthly expense, I'll find a new host before I go that route. A big monthly expense turns this into a job, too much pressure to met everyone's expectations.
I had someone give me $50 once and with it came a long list of names and how I didn't want to be remembered like them so I would do well to follow his advice or something like that. Once I saw where his email was going I barley read it. I just sent the money back.

I have a new guy looking at the site, he's offshore but his resume includes many vBulliten sites so I'm waiting to see what he says. Dealing offshore is a communication nightmare, I'm sleeping when he's working so it's a 12 hour delay between emails...haha, what next.
He's looking at what files the site doesn't use and he will delete them, which is what the sites Host wants done to keep us under the quota.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate your time and ideas.

The site was down a while today for updating to the latest version of vBulletin 5.1.9 . I have found a guy who seems to know vBulletin and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yes, I check ADKforum just about everyday and noticed that they where down this morning. Hope it's just a small glitch and they get back up soon.

Yes, I check ADKforum just about everyday and noticed that they where down this morning. Hope it's just a small glitch and they get back up soon.
I notice there is an issue when I hit Post Reply, hope this gets worked out...haha

There is an issue with the new vBulletin just downloaded, when you hit post reply there is a strange message, I have notified current IT guy.

It's good now, it seems every update has it's issues, but all the IT guys I have had say it's better to keep the site running on a new version than running on an old version, less chance of major issues from outside.

Back