• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Questions about sassafras for a paddle

Reaction score
I am a solo paddler, usually in a tandem with my dog. I am wondering about a new paddle, a north woods handle, made of sassafras. Most of my paddles are ash or cherry. But as I older, I have come to appreciate some flex in my paddles and wondered about sassafras. I have never used one, but as a boy roaming the Indiana Timber I have always had a soft spot for it. The three shapes of leaves, root bear tea made from its roots … it has special memories for me.

so, for those who have used sassafras as a paddle, does it “ feel better” than say ash or cherry? Is it more forgiving on joints when paddling for hours? I look forward to responses from those in the know.

Bob.

Bob, I've never used a sassafras paddle but I've heard its a good wood for paddle, light and springy. Here's a video about Badger Paddles that starts at the spot just before where Mike Ramsey shows a sassafras paddle.

Glen, I watched the video … thank you. I really like visiting with Mike, have not spoken with him in over a year. That Woodland in Sassafras has me thinking real hard on getting one in an oiled finish. Thank you for the video post, very informative.

Bob

Bob, in my quest for an ottertail paddle that I documented, I would have gotten the Badger Woodland in sassafras if I had wanted a very flexible and light paddle, instead of the Bruce Smith butternut paddle I finally got, which I knew would be stiff. I like the idea of a more unusual wood than cherry. I also like the secondary grip, which is variously called a guide grip, northwoods grip or running pry grip, to allow different hand placements. As Mike Ramsey illustrates in the video, it's easier to do a J stroke with a secondary grip.

In its blog, Shaw and Tenney, whose paddles I generally think are too heavy, over built and over priced, says these favorable things about sassafras:

If you’ve read this far we’ll let you in on a little secret. If you wanted to know what most of the paddle makers here at Shaw & Tenney would create their own paddle out of it would be sassafras. Sassafras is a hardwood so inherently it is a durable paddle material, but the key features are its weight and flex. A sassafras paddle will be nearly as light as a spruce paddle in the same length. Add to that the incredible flex characteristics and you have, in our opinion, the perfect wood for a traditional or performance paddle.

Sassafras also has the unique characteristic that it continually darkens over time. A sassafras paddle that is 20 years old will be as dark as a piece of walnut. If you are looking for a paddle that performs well, is durable and looks like a piece of art, Sassafras is the choice.

Greg Fishell told me he would make one but couldn't get sassafras wood from his suppliers.

As to price for a Badger sassafras Woodland, I was quoted (USD) $199 plus $45 shipping by Mike Ramsey for factory direct and $200 plus $20 shipping by Kate Westphal at Rutabaga. Both were special orders that would have to placed at least 8 weeks in advance.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck in your search.

I have had good experiences with Mikes paddles. I am intrigued with his woodland mode, I think I will really like Sassafras.

Bob.

I have a Shaw & Tenney sass ottertail. It has wonderful flex and is my favorite paddle. I will see if I can get a photo of it to post.
S&T Sass Ottertail.jpg

Last edited:
I can offer some personal experience with Sassafras. Years ago, I was lucky enough to purchase some milled 5/4 boards from a fellow paddle maker located in Ohio. Since then it's been a challenge to find quality stock in my local area. I've made a bunch of paddles from it. The designs were all based on historical samples from old photos or surviving museum pieces and most featured some variation of a "Northwoods" style grip.

DSCN0559_rs.jpg

Sassafras%2BRecurved%2BCree.jpg

Sassafras%2BTripper%2B3.jpg

K%2Bpaddle1.jpg

DSCN9832_rs.jpg

DSCN0512_rs.jpg

Scarfed%2BSassafras%2BComplete.jpg

I've used all these paddles for everything from day use to heavy-tripping. As long as you are aware of (and appreciate) the flex, sassafras can make for wonderful solo paddle.

A fellow at my cottage who comes from a racing background hated the whole concept and feel of flex in my long sassafras blades, but he was a bow paddler used to short & rigid bent-shafts and the sit-and-switch technique.

It will definitely have more give and flex compared to cherry and is much lighter in the hand then a comparable paddle of ash. Sassafras does have an open grain structure like ash, but my personal experience is that it sands quite smooth so feels great in the hand. It also has great rot resistance (unlike ash) so doesn't need to be overly coated in sealants.

But like any other one-piece paddle, the maker needs to select wood stock with the proper grain pattern to maintain strength. Perhaps particularly so because Sassafras can be quite brittle. It also has less impact resistance so it will dent a bit easier if things pound against the shaft or you rub heavily against the gunnels. A while back at the end of a solo trip, I used two paddles tied to the center thwart to form a temporary yoke on my 14' Chestnut (about 65 lbs). One paddle was maple the other sassafras. When I flipped the canoe onto my shoulders and the weight of the boat rested on the paddles, the shaft of sassafras paddled cracked. It's been my only "in-the-field" failure with the wood so far. None of them have failed or cracked during in-water use.

Overall, it is still my favorite wood for paddle carving. On an aesthetic note, the wood also shades well with pyrography. I've decorated a few of the paddles with some double curve motifs...

Sassa%2BPenobscot%2BDecorated2.jpg

Sassa%2BShousugi%2BPenobscot%2Bfullsize.jpg

If you can get one unfinished, you might be able to personalize with some wood-burning designs too!

Bob, see my post from August 15, 2021 in the related post at the bottom of the page, titled 15‘ Willow updates.

I purchased the JB Special paddle in Sassafras from Woodstrip Watercraft here in PA http://woodstrip.wcha.org/ Consult his paddle sales page.

I have been very happy with it. It is exceptionally light, and quite flexy- so much so that at first I was afraid I would break it. I have come to realize that it’s suited to a reasonable, all-day cadence and is easy on the user’s shoulders. I would not, however, use this paddle in beast mode against a headwind trying to make it to a campsite before night falls! For that I would the cherry paddle I carved myself. The one I thought was reasonably slim and trim until receiving the JBS.

One caution, the owner, Al Bratton, knows canoes and paddles from long experience, and you will get a unique paddle, with all the character of a made one-at-a-time piece, not a perfect machine made item. I mean that as a compliment to the maker! Lastly, Al varnishes his paddles (except for the grip) so if you prefer an untreated paddle which you can oil yourself you’ll have to ask for it.

Thanks Patrick, I may call and ask Al some questions. I appreciate the info …and your info on the other post, 15 foot willow updates.

Murat, you are amazing!

Bob, see my post from August 15, 2021 in the related post at the bottom of the page, titled 15‘ Willow updates.

Just an interjection about site features. Here's how you link a specific post from another thread (such as Patrick's 15' Willow updates) into a post you are writing in a different thread (such as this one):

1. Go to the post you want to link.
2. Click on its number in its upper right corner (which is post #16 in Patrick's thread).
3. This will put that post's specific address in the address bar.
4. Copy the address.
5. Paste the address in the post you are writing, as I will now do with the post Patrick is referring to. It will unfurl and be easily readable to the audience.

Ah, thank you Glenn. I pondered how to accomplish just that task, but failed to notice the post number you referred to. My clumsy ‘link’ has been made more efficient and I’ve learned something!

I'm a fairly new paddle aficionado (paddled for decades, only recently started exploring the finer points of wood paddle design and creation). I'd watched the video interview with Mike Ramsey posted above, read the S&T blurb on wood options posted above, and read many posts on Murat's blog (stunning and informative work, Murat!)

So when I found Collinsville Canoe & Kayak had listed some Badger paddles in sassafras last fall, I rushed to buy one online with an in-person pick-up. The only one left in my size was a 'Badgertail' model. I went to pick up the paddle, and found it to be kind of heavy and bulky compared to my cherry Badger Sliver. I honestly didn't even check the flex - it just felt heavy and wrong in my hands (I'm on the smaller size of average). I assume that Mike felt that particular piece of sassafras needed to be a bit thicker to protect against the downsides of sassafras as noted above, or because of the grain of that plank. This is no knock on Badger paddles - I love my Sliver, and I ended up swapping the sassafras Badgertail for a cherry Tripper they had in stock - also a fantastic paddle. I was just a bit surprised by how much beefier the sassafras had been kept to make sure the paddle wouldn't fail. Again it seemed bulkier and heavier than the cherry Tripper, despite the supposed lighter weight of sassafras and similar listed blade areas of those two models. Part of that might be the model design and intended use (Badgertail has more material at the blade tip vs Tripper). I know the final paddle dimensions and weight varies by individual plank, and I 100% respect the expertise and decision making that goes into paddle-making at Badger and these other quality outfits- just thought I'd share my experience for those ordering paddles remotely.

The robots fed this thread back to me at the bottom of another thread I was recently viewing. I either persisted, or failed to learn from past lessons, and ordered a sassafras Badger Tripper from Rutabaga when they popped up for sale on there. I have to say, this one is a dream, lighter weight than the cherry, quite thin, flexes in a way I like (some might find it too bendy) and slices nicely on an underwater return stroke. I suspect my reaction to the sassafras Badger Woodland might have been to the model and not the sassafras.

ordered a sassafras Badger Tripper from Rutabaga when they popped up for sale on there. I have to say, this one is a dream

Good to hear praise about this particular paddle. I'd like to get something in sassafras.

I suspect my reaction to the sassafras Badger Woodland might have been to the model and not the sassafras.

I'm a little confused about this comment, Tsuga, as you were discussing a sassafras Badger Badgertail at Collinsville in your prior message.

Ooh yup, so I was - got my wires crossed there because I also looked at a Woodland while I was at Collinsville, which also felt chunky in hand.

So, maybe it was the individual piece of wood that needed to be a bit thicker on the sass Badgertail, or maybe because it's supposed to pull more water and thus should be beefier?

I will mention that my cherry Tripper and cherry Sliver should have the same grip but don't- I think it's partially the individual piece of lumber and partially how long Mike or whoever lingers on the sander with each paddle. That's my guess anyway - chaulk it up to hand-crafting!

It's probably related to the characteristics of the individual pieces of wood. Very light pieces or very bendy pieces often have to be made thicker so they don't break or bend too much.

I really like my new sassafras Badger Tripper. It looks good, feels strong, and is light, at just over 22 ounces for a 57 incher.
It's not really about the type of wood for me. As long as I like the design and the weight, I'm good.

Glenn, when I picked up my paddle from Raquette River Outfitters there were two 57" to choose from. The one I didn't take was also very nice looking and only about a quarter ounce heavier. (I took a scale with me) If this fits what you're looking for, I wouldn't hesitate getting it.

My other activities have been hard on my shoulders: fractured, torn, separated and dislocated over the years. As one doctor said: "This will hurt you when you're older." I like springy paddles and oars.

My friend gave me a sassafras paddle made by Shaw and Tenney and I really like it. It’s light and springy and handles like a dream.
Jim

Last edited:
Back