• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Quality Phillips head screwdrivers?

G

I have been playing with a minor shop tool reorganization using those magnetic tool bars, and working on some Philips head screw into wood outfitting projects at the same time.

Both tasks made me stop and really look at the tips of all my Phillips head screw drivers.

Eeeeshhh, I should throw half of them away right now. Maybe more than half. They are all Stanleys and Craftsmans, and if there was a Sears within 30 miles I might try to return the Craftsmans.

Not sure why I would want more crap screwdrivers though, I would like to be done with gouging up screw heads for a while.

Recommendations for a decent quality 6 or 8 piece set of Phillips head screwdrivers?

Phillips head

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...d=0ahUKEwju44Xn96rZAhVINd8KHQkvDHAQ_B0I6QIwEw

I have had very good success with the Wiha Brand. They have some very nice sets and at least three different grades. I have the Micro Finish set and like it very much. They also have some great precision size and offset screwdrivers. However, they are not made in the USA. Best of luck.

I buy cheap ones from the local hardware store. Never had a problem with them not fitting screw heads. I do inspect the tips before I buy them to make sure they're the correct shape and not mis-formed. A properly shaped head on both the driver and screw lock together well. Some screws seem to be better than others as well. I used to use Mac screwdrivers when I was working in the shop full time. They didn't seem to fit any better/worse. I have seen some cheap ones that were worthless because of tip shape.

Alan

Get a screw driver that you can replace the bits ! There are several different grades available, and you can buy several in a pack. Just in case you loose them like I do !

I had a couple Snap-on screw drivers that I really liked. Unfortunately, they grew legs and walked away.

https://store.snapon.com/Hand-Tools-C700010.aspx

I replaced my Snap-on with Klein Tools screw drivers
http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/screwdrivers-and-nut-drivers

Both these brands are on the expensive side but, they will not fail you. With either if these in your tool belt, grown men will shudder and young women will swoon in your presence; or at least you'll be equipped to turn screws.

Yup, Robertson or Torxx for me nothing else. Philips are as bad as slotted but don't look as good!!

YA, $26/screwdriver for Snap-on is not going to happen.

I use Torxx screws for most of my projects but set almost exclusively with a screw gun.

I have a set of Craftsman drivers that I've had for 30+/-years, mixed with cheapos that I've picked up. My go to Phillips driver for electrical work is an unknown German make.

I use Torxx screws for most of my projects but set almost exclusively with a screw gun.

I have a set of Craftsman drivers that I've had for 30+/-years, mixed with cheapos that I've picked up. My go to Phillips driver for electrical work is an unknown German make.

German is usually good...

I have one of these SNAP ON SCREWDRIVERS and I use THESE BITS . I also have the stubby version of the screwdriver. I"m an airplane mechanic and I have a drawer full of virtually unused screwdrivers except for my two ratcheting screwdrivers. It's an investment for sure but the part that wears out (the tip) is replaceable. I'm sure I've driven a million screws with this driver, I even have one for home because anything else just doesn't cut it by comparison. I'm not specifically advocating for the snap on brand here so much as a ratcheting screwdriver with replaceable tips followed by using quality tips.

Last edited:
I'm with you Redoleary. Ratchet drivers with replaceable bits. I have a couple of the Snap-on ones (only one I bought new about thirty five years ago) but I also have a couple of ones made by Stanley I think and in some ways I like them better. The ratchet is a little bit finer. Good bits make the difference. The Stanley is the one I use out on a boat over/near the salt water, I wouldn't cry as much if it ends up in the drink.
Jim

Yup, Robertson or Torxx for me nothing else. Philips are as bad as slotted but don't look as good!!

I have Robertson drivers, and two boxed sets of Torx bits. When you need one of those nothing else will do, so I always bring them when travelling for unknown work. Torx, Torxx, Torex?

But I also have thousands and thousands of size sorted Phillips head screws, including nearly all of my stainless steel and self tapping.

No sure why I have an aversion to using a ratcheting screwdriver and tips, I have a couple but usually just grab the appropriate screwdriver.

I am sure most of the wear on the Phillips screwdriver tips is my own faulty use and abuse, but a lot of other folks, family and shop visitors, use those tools and I have winced at witnessing some awful misaligned tip grinding.

No pricey Snap On screwdrivers for me either. I will probably just find a six pack of various sized Phillips head screwdrivers at the hardware store, avoiding the cheapest Chinese made junk, and replace the really worn out ones.

Pro tip: when you have a less than perfect screw head but you still need to get it out without drilling, fill the screw head with valve grinding compound then push hard and turn, if it's not too far gone you'll get enough traction to get it out.

Some tips from a retired mechanic.-- Phillips screwdrivers come in 3 different sizes-#1,#2, and #3. Grinding a little off the tip often makes them grip better. carefully grinding or filing the 4 angle edges flat makes them grip better. Just tapping the screwdriver into the recess a few times before turning makes them grip better. Tapping while turning makes them grip better. A hand or power impact screwdriver makes grips better. Push in hard when turning and NEVER let the screwdriver slip-even once.

Some tips from a retired mechanic.-- Phillips screwdrivers come in 3 different sizes-#1,#2, and #3. Grinding a little off the tip often makes them grip better. carefully grinding or filing the 4 angle edges flat makes them grip better. Just tapping the screwdriver into the recess a few times before turning makes them grip better. Tapping while turning makes them grip better. A hand or power impact screwdriver makes grips better. Push in hard when turning and NEVER let the screwdriver slip-even once.

Turtle, thanks. I am frugal enough that I will try to grind a little off the tips and file down the chewed up angle edges. Still, I will probably buy a new set of better quality Phillips screwdrivers, and maybe hide them away from everyone everyday use, as I do with the good scissors and quality duct tape in the shop.

Tapping the Phillips into place helps. On boat refurbishments with Phillips head screw removal I clean the gunk out of the screw head with a pointy Exacto blade and duster can before attempting extraction. A lot of stuff builds up in that Phillips cross section over time.

Keep the pressure applied while turning is critical, but I am not always successful. Some canoe or kayak outfitting always seems to end up being upside down, backwards, blind or otherwise awkward.

I am moving at a glacial pace on reorganizing the shop screwdriver collection. I have at last, and at least, segregated them into flat head, Phillips head and specialty drivers.

Ishkabibble, I have 11 Phillips head screwdrivers, eight of which are bound for some filing and grinding, or failing that, for the trash can.

The glacial pace is mostly due to my lack of enthusiasm for reorganizing everydamnthing on the peg boards for the third time. Once when I first set up the shop 25 years ago, once after it was emptied and denuded of every bench and tool for renovation enlargement 10 years ago, and, eh, soon for a third time.

Ten years on I have a better idea my most commonly used tools, and where I want to most conveniently access hang them. At least the pegboard and magnetic tool bars will make that reorganization easier, but I dang near need to start over from the top down.

Here is another tip that has saved the day many times for me. Heat! If the screw is really tight or is already buggered I put the tip of a soldering iron on the head of the screw for just long enough to warm up the screw but not char any wood around the screw. I've used a pistol style iron, a pencil style and a real old plug in one with the copper tip. If you don't have a soldering iron you could heat up a nail and the place it on the head of the screw to get it hot. If there was any epoxy used while setting the screw it will soften it. I had to remove a drift bolt from an old boat keel one tine and no matter what size hammer I used it wouldn't budge, I heated the exposed end with a propane torch and when I hit it again it slid right out. I'm not sure how/why it works but it does.
Jim

Some tips from a retired mechanic.-- Phillips screwdrivers come in 3 different sizes-#1,#2, and #3.

I really thought there were more sizes, but I never really looked closely to compare.

Excepting the really tiny ones, yup, essentially three size Philllips head screwdrivers. One massive blunt tipped one, five medium, five small. But the actual design of the tip flanges between same size heads varies considerably. As of course does length.

And, on close inspection, so does the amount of crud encrusted in the flanges. Some are clean, some are pretty gunked up and probably once lived in a truck bed tool box when I carried a bigger roadside repair kit.

I kinda knew some were grungy, I would occasionally snatch a really filthy one off the wall, look at it and put it back for a better choice.

How to clean the tips? Wire brush or file card? Soak the tips in some solvent first? Alcohol? Mineral Spirits?

Before I get too anal about grinding and refilling those tips I oughta see what is actually there.

Back