• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Portage Pack recommendations?

Reaction score
I did a quick google for portage pack in Canada and did not see much to be desired... I'm after a large pack similar to Granite gear or CCS, but sold in Canada. With exchange and shipping, ordering from stateside is not likely viable option. Anyone care to make a recommendation?

I currently have 2 packs that I may sell to fund the purchase of a new one.

first is a "cheap" North49 100L pack, I think these are sold under a few different brand names, Bang for your buck, really not a bad pack but not quite what I want.
second is my Duluth Original #4, It pains me to consider selling it but I prefer the harness on "modern" packs better. The capacity of this pack will be hard to beat.....

DSC_0051.JPG
DSC_0063.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0063.JPG
    DSC_0063.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can you PM me how much you want for the Duluth #4, I'm really interested!!

Not sure what I would recommend cause the Duluth #4 would be my choice. Can't beat the craftsmanship and/or warranty.

Not sure what I would recommend cause the Duluth #4 would be my choice. Can't beat the craftsmanship and/or warranty.

Don't get me wrong, the Duluth Bag is great. I'm just looking at options that may work better for me.

My original plan was just to sell the low end blue bag pictured and keep the Duluth. Out of curiosity I loaded them both up to compare them with the same gear in each. That backfired as the Duluth has 30L more capacity.... couldn't get everything in the blue bag.

Of the 2, I actual found the blue bag more comfortable, now this may be because of the hip belt and modern harness or quite possibly just the fact that the Duluth had more gear in it and it was heavier. The tumpline certainly takes the weight off the shoulders but I haven't used it (or one) in a real world situation.

Don't get me wrong, the Duluth Bag is great. I'm just looking at options that may work better for me.

Yeah, in the end it all comes down to personal preference and that's the way it should be. In most gear choices there isn't really a right and wrong, just what do you prefer. I like the Duluth pack options and you might not and that's OK. I do like a pack that rides upright in a canoe without being too tall. Been thinking a lot about building a wannigan that fits to the contour of my canoe except that right now I am planning on a new canoe for the summer and I'm not sure yet what that will be.

We snagged a Woods pack last year and it is pretty awesome. However, for years we have been using Eureka 115Li drybag style packs and they have served us extremely well. Very similar to a Seal line. They have all of the modern harness systems but we take the waist belts off to make them pack in the canoe easier.
So far we have not had any issues with using them that way and we have done ports upwards of 1 Km a number of times with them. If memory serves me right we got them at Cabelas in Winnipeg. I think Willderness Supply carries them also.

Christy

You could check with Harlan at Red Lake Outfitters in Ontario to see if he's selling any rental gear. He uses CCS packs if I remember correctly and rotates out the used gear fairly regularly.

Alan

Unfortunately, the Ostroms don't make them them anymore. You'll have to keep an eagle eye on the Canadian Canoe Routes For Sale forum or other similar fora (is that a word?). I had one when I first got into canoeing, but it was too big for solo use, so I foolishly sold it for a song a few years ago. Right after that, they stopped making them. Now i use the North 49 pack in your fist picture when i have a biggish load. It just needs a few modifications, like the addition of a top pocket and maybe side sleeves and map holders. Might take it to my local tailor for these additions.

Back