• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

The History of Blue (originally green) Barrels

Great thread resurrection! I got a contract last Friday to teach Outdoor Ed at the high school. Yesterday I loaded up barrels with 30 pounds of weights and went on a hike, ten kids walking through town carrying blue and yellow barrels. I gave them a generic history, but will use this thread today to deliver the real deal
Good luck with the new job, it sounds like a good gig for a retired guy.

I've only recently been trying out the barrel method. Like the ease of opening/closing while remaining relatively waterproof, and it really excels in a campsite that is overrun with rodents etc. however... when it's full, it's full. No sneaking additional items under a flap, and I cringe every time I place the barrel into the soft cedar inside of a WC canoe. Having a hard time turning away from Duluth packs, pack baskets, and wannagans.

I've only recently been trying out the barrel method. Like the ease of opening/closing while remaining relatively waterproof, and it really excels in a campsite that is overrun with rodents etc. however... when it's full, it's full. No sneaking additional items under a flap, and I cringe every time I place the barrel into the soft cedar inside of a WC canoe. Having a hard time turning away from Duluth packs, pack baskets, and wannagans.
Barrels in a w/c canoe don't seem right. Plus that metal lever can gouge wood. So be true to yourself.

Great thread resurrection! I got a contract last Friday to teach Outdoor Ed at the high school. Yesterday I loaded up barrels with 30 pounds of weights and went on a hike, ten kids walking through town carrying blue and yellow barrels. I gave them a generic history, but will use this thread today to deliver the real deal.

Barrels were a game changer for our club. Previously, we had a bunch of canvas packs. We instructed the kids on lining them with three heavy duty garbage bags, but kids being kids, there were always some with wet clothes and sleeping bags by the end of day one. Not good in early June in Northern Ontario. The packs always need constant attention and replacement as well. The only way we lose barrels is when they get "borrowed" by staff members who "forget" to return them.

The best harnesses I ever bought were Hooligan, made in Canada. I got them around 20 years ago, put them on the food barrels, and they are still going strong. The cheap "one size fits all" are prone to straps breaking when used hard for long periods of time. However, they are all easy fixes with industrial thread and a heavy duty needle.
I really like my Granite Gear barrel harnesses. Readily available, and not too costly. Paired up with my GG Quetico pack and thwart bag, I get out regualrly.

Back