• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Ponds of the Five Ponds (Adirondacks)

Reaction score
It was not an original idea but one I stole from William M. Harlow, a professor at SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry. The ESF alumni newsletter was publishing journal excerpts from his summer stay at the Cranberry Biological Station from the early 1920's. He and a companion committed to visiting many of the ponds in the region during their summer study. Tales of their adventures were interesting to me because I was familiar with some of their destinations. I do not know how many ponds Mr. Harlow visited but I adopted the idea and set the goal of making it to each of the 94 named ponds within the boundaries of the Five Ponds Wilderness, to that I have added 21 unnamed ponds bringing my list to 115. I started making trips into the Five Ponds in the summer of 1971. Last week my goal was fulfilled with adventures to the last four ponds on my list.

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/114267878012874538920/6308005576968843233

Once again CanoeTripping.net saves my morning!

Conk: Thanks you for the great photos from your adventure. It is so important to add captions with photos and I like the way you do that. The "Mr. Wizard" ones cracked me up. It was really great to see the strippers too. What a cool event that had to be.

Cary

Conk, as always a joy to ride along via your photos.

115 out of 94 shows some dedication. Or obsession. Or something.

Sincere Congrats. The bummer from my end is the prospect of not having the pleasure of any more of these excellent photo journal trip reports of yours.

EPIC, and thank you for the 'ride' along you have given us through all of your excellent photos - and witty observations as well.

Back