• Happy National American Red Cross Founder's Day (1881)! 🇨🇭🚑🏥

WCHA Canoes & Bumming about the Adirondacks

Reaction score
I have made another trip to the Adirondacks. The primary goal was to attend the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association's annual assembly at Paul Smith's College. The event draws the largest collection of beautiful canoes, and likewise, canoe minded folks that can be experienced on our planet, an event that will trigger palpitations in any paddler. The location is prime with opportunities to paddle as well, which was also on the agenda.

My normal, uncommitted schedule was locked into the date of the WCHA event, which unfortunately was the same as my 40[SUP]th[/SUP] high school reunion. I vexed over the conflict daily, in the end, the lure of the wilderness won, as it always has.

A secondary goal of the trip was to explore the newly opened Santa Clara Tract and access to its rivers. All additional time was invested in visiting more of the ponds of the Five Ponds.

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/114267878012874538920/WCHACanoesBummingAboutTheAdirondacks

Lovely photos! And a Very intrepid pose on the glacial erratic at Rainer Pond, I must say. Looks like the title page of an old "Boys' Own" annual from the early 1900s. Thanks for sharing those.

What a trip! I saw your sign in at Lila and your destinations, scoured the map for a local Buck Pond, and wondered how you would get there. Never even considered the tracks.

We spent Tuesday through Friday on Lila. I think it was Wednesday and we heard the train go through.

I think it was Wednesday and we heard the train go through.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure, you heard a train? I'm no RR guy but the tracks I was on didn't seem to be up to a standard that would allow active use. One short section was under water, I was able to stay dry walking on the rail while lining the canoe behind me.

Nice TR, I will be back East this fall and may have time for a few day trip to try out my new boat and Lake Lila seems like a good place to start. Early November would be the time I could go. Does anyone have any info on how it would be at that time like how the fishing would be or would I have to be concerned about deer hunting season?

I was surprised to hear it as well. Blew it's whistle quite often and slowly went from east to west. I didn't hear it return...

Back