• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

PO says "Allagash" but not sure what it is.

I have an old Mad River, with no serial number showing anywhere. I heard they put it under the gunwale sometimes.

Took advantage of some warm December weather and stripped the rotted wood off and scrubbed with some TSP, then power washed. Now I'll put it away in the loft till I find some long ash for the gunnels. Looks good when it's still wet.

DSC01499.JPG

DSC01500.JPG

DSC01501.JPG

Wow, that does look nice. It has been a December to remember.

Alan

Robin
I see you mentioned finding long gunnels.

I've had the same problem, It's hard to find anything over 12'. I have resorted to splicing ash. It works great, and not that hard to do. Besides shipping on premade gunnels is scary !

Good luck !

Jim

Robin
I see you mentioned finding long gunnels.

I've had the same problem, It's hard to find anything over 12'. I have resorted to splicing ash. It works great......

Jim

Hi Jim, In the past long ash was not hard to find around here 16'-18' down at Condon Lumber, but recently it's hard to find. A logger just north of where I live told me to get back to him in the winter, he might be able to help me. This tells me that he needs to wait for frozen ground to get to it or maybe some other reason, but I will buy all he will make for me.
I can get 12', splicing is a good option, my co-worker Bob makes a splice you can't hardly find when it's on the canoe, me not so good!

Did you ever find a HIN, or deduce who manufactured (or factory finished*) the hull?

*I refurbished a couple of Shenandoahs, which were in fact Blue Hole RX hulls outfitted with odd gunwales (square oak) and even odder seats (slat seats with a contour similar to an Adirondack chair).

The carbon Northstar is a helluva find. 16’ 6”, nice asymettrical shear and decent rocker (Bell says 2.5” bow, 1.5” stern).

For rebuild funsies Bell specs it at Max Width 34.5”, gunwale width 31” and 4” waterline at 31”.

Back