• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Plus size canoeing?

Reaction score
My question is this; where do I start as a plus size beginner? I've been reading and learning so much but mums the word when it comes to large people and what would work best for us. I have the money to spend on a nice lightweight canoe that would have to be strapped to the roof of my Subaru. I live in northern Minnesota and plan on bringing gear to hopefully camp riverside.

Hi Miss Katie and welcome. I agree with renting as you're in a great area for outfitter access. Another option might be to visit some of the factories if they offer advice and allow test paddles. You're in a great area for it as Northstar, Wenonah, Merrimack, & Sanborn (and probably others) are all built there.

Happy paddling & let us know what you find as I'm sure there will be others with the same questions.

Katie, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to the Account Details page in your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. Many of the site's technical features are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

There are plenty of canoes that can carry big people, whole families and even moose. It's all a matter of choosing the right length, width and depth for your needs. Are you looking for a solo or tandem canoe?

Welcome to the site. The rental suggestion is a good one if you are in MN.

Most large (17 ft +) tandems should be able to handle extra weight, especially if you aren't provisioned for an extended trip.

Many of us paddle tandem canoes solo. Most 16ft tandems have capacities in the 800 lb range, which is plenty for one paddler and gear.

The seats in many canoes are kinda small. Upgrades exist, such as the heavy duty seats Ed's Canoes sell. Perhaps some manufacturers have factory options.

Let us know how you do!

Katie, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to the Account Details page in your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. Many of the site's technical features are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

There are plenty of canoes that can carry big people, whole families and even moose. It's all a matter of choosing the right length, width and depth for your needs. Are you looking for a solo or tandem canoe?
Thank you Glenn, I'm very happy to be here. I am looking for solo.

Hi Miss Katie and welcome. I agree with renting as you're in a great area for outfitter access. Another option might be to visit some of the factories if they offer advice and allow test paddles. You're in a great area for it as Northstar, Wenonah, Merrimack, & Sanborn (and probably others) are all built there.

Happy paddling & let us know what you find as I'm sure there will be others with the same questions.
Thank you very much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I am looking for solo.

To further narrow down your choices, do you anticipate paddling mostly lakes, easy flow rivers, whitewater rivers—just one of them, some of them, or all of them? Do you plan on portaging much, as on overnight lake-to-lake trips, or just carrying to and from a vehicle on day trips?

Welcome to the site. The rental suggestion is a good one if you are in MN.

Most large (17 ft +) tandems should be able to handle extra weight, especially if you aren't provisioned for an extended trip.

Many of us paddle tandem canoes solo. Most 16ft tandems have capacities in the 800 lb range, which is plenty for one paddler and gear.

The seats in many canoes are kinda small. Upgrades exist, such as the heavy duty seats Ed's Canoes sell. Perhaps some manufacturers have factory options.

Let us know how you do!
Thank you so much for the great tips! I really appreciate it.

I weigh about 235, my brother has been around 400, we both paddle. Learning to get in and out of a canoe can be a bit of a trick for anyone. Study, practice and caution will help you enjoy this great pastime.

I know weight can be a touchy subject but if you don't mind sharing what weight range are we talking about? Plus size can mean different things to different people. Even people who wouldn't be considered plus size will still put a 300+ pound load in a canoe for a long solo trip.

Alan

I know weight can be a touchy subject but if you don't mind sharing what weight range are we talking about? Plus size can mean different things to different people. Even people who wouldn't be considered plus size will still put a 300+ pound load in a canoe for a long solo trip.

Alan
No worries, I weigh 265.

To further narrow down your choices, do you anticipate paddling mostly lakes, easy flow rivers, whitewater rivers—just one of them, some of them, or all of them? Do you plan on portaging much, as on overnight lake-to-lake trips, or just carrying to and from a vehicle on day trips?
Lakes and easy flow rivers as I am pretty close to the Mississippi headwaters and Lake Bemidji. But I think I'll hold off on portage until I get familiar with being on the water.

No worries, I weigh 265.

I think you won't have much trouble finding a suitable boat based on your needs of paddling the lakes and rivers around Bemidji. I'd guess most paddlers in the 250 pound range get along just fine with regular solo canoes. Something in the 15' range should be fine. You'll be looking for something with more volume rather than speed potential.

From Northstar canoes I'd think the Northwind solo would be a good choice. Plenty of other canoes with similar specs would work fine too.

Alan

Last edited:
I find the Souris River Tranquility to be stable and rugged for a Kevlar canoe and more than enough capacity for me at near 250 when I bought it and another 100+ pounds of gear. High initial stability as well.

The Clipper Caribou S is probably worth a look too for the same reasons Bill likes his Tranquility. It could be easily sourced in Winnipeg.

Something in the 15' range should be fine. You'll be looking for something with more volume rather than speed potential.

I agree as to length and volume. If you are a novice, you probably wouldn't want a solo that is too narrow in central width (called beam) because you will be unused to the tippiness. However, if you are short with short arms, canoes with a wide beam, although very stable, can be difficult to reach over the sides.

Also, some canoes are designed more for kneeling off the seat, others are designed mostly for sitting (and often have tractor/bucket seats), while still other canoes have seats that are amenable to sitting or kneeling. Sitting raises your center of gravity, so if you plan on being a sitter, this counsels toward a somewhat wider beam canoe.

Trying some canoes out at an outfitter or dealer would be a good idea if possible. There also should be a good amount of canoes on the used market in your area. If you find some that interest you, folks here will share their experiences or opinions of it.

I agree as to length and volume. If you are a novice, you probably wouldn't want a solo that is too narrow in central width (called beam) because you will be unused to the tippiness. However, if you are short with short arms, canoes with a wide beam, although very stable, can be difficult to reach over the sides.

Also, some canoes are designed more for kneeling off the seat, others are designed mostly for sitting (and often have tractor/bucket seats), while still other canoes have seats that are amenable to sitting or kneeling. Sitting raises your center of gravity, so if you plan on being a sitter, this counsels toward a somewhat wider beam canoe.

Trying some canoes out at an outfitter or dealer would be a good idea if possible. There also should be a good amount of canoes on the used market in your area. If you find some that interest you, folks here will share their experiences or opinions of it.
I'm interested in a canoe a guy is selling here. It's a 17' Alumacraft ultra light. What say you about that canoe?

Back