• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Pickup Truck and Fifth Wheel - Front Receiver Rack

Reaction score
We just sold our old motorhome and bought a used fifth wheel, which we tow behind a Ram 3/4 ton crew cab pickup. When traveling with the motorhome, we packed along a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak, which had its charms and went on a lot of adventures, but developed a terminal seam separation last year. The wife doesn't want to buy a new inflatable kayak after the last one failed, and we now also have a 17ft canoe.

Anyway, I'd like to start taking the canoe along on trips with the fifth wheel. The challenge is of course the fact that the front of the fifth wheel intrudes over the bed of the pickup. It looks to me like the only feasible way to carry a canoe with the fifth wheel is to install a front receiver and T-bar rack out in front of the truck. Has anyone used one of these? Can anyone recommend a particular brand? Is visibility a big issue?

Thanks in advance.

I carry my canoes on the roof. No racks, just pool noodles and straps through the door openings.

A rack out front would be nice though.

The tan one is 16' and the red one is 17'.

Attachments

• 20170730_200206.jpg
    20170730_200206.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20170730_202241.jpg
    20170730_202241.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220724_121557.jpg
    20220724_121557.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 25
I carry my canoes on the roof. No racks, just pool noodles and straps through the door openings.
Thanks for the input! That's a possibility. I need to stick it up on the truck and see how it fits. I think I'm probably going to have to have the canoe a little further forward though, because I have a 6'6" bed, not the 8' bed like you do, so the front of the 5er is a little closer to the cab.

Thanks for the input! That's a possibility. I need to stick it up on the truck and see how it fits. I think I'm probably going to have to have the canoe a little further forward though, because I have a 6'6" bed, not the 8' bed like you do, so the front of the 5er is a little closer to the cab.
It does effect visibility, but I don't think anymore than carrying it on top of any vehicle. I notice it most on curvy mountain roads. I sometimes have to move around to see the road.

Spring creek manufacturing makes a lot of unique canoe accessories including racks and a real nice goalpost for a receiver which I have. They have also done a lot of custom racks for trucks . You might give them a call and see what options are available for your application.

Mike

Spring Creek Manufacturing

Last edited:
Go to etrailer.com and input you truck information and they will have several front receivers, the also offer roof rack and goal post for you truck. That is the best way to carry a canoe while towing your 5th wheel trailer.

Go to etrailer.com and input you truck information and they will have several front receivers, the also offer roof rack and goal post for you truck. That is the best way to carry a canoe while towing your 5th wheel trailer.
I agree, a front reciever and rack system on your roof are the best way to haul your canoe.

If you go with just a front goalpost you may run into problems if you slid it too far forward. The ends of most canoes turn up and it may not sit right on your roof Without a rack.

The straps through the doors method can get you wet if it rains too. I drove 6 hours in the rain last month and it did drip. I just tied a rag on it.

A front receiver is best if you have a fifth wheel. Not meaning to be unduly harsh but the Captains set up scares me. So much unsupported bow leads to more movement ( just curious, do you have any movement when you grab the bow and tug to the side? there should be no movement. A rack would guarantee no movement especially with loadstops. We found that even with a canoe loaded with even overhang on both ends there was too much movement when transporting in high crosswind areas like the Great Plains. We reloaded the boat to have more rear overhang and the bow wobble stopped. Of course this won't work with a fifth wheel. But the front rack would solve this.
We have a trailer and yes we have during the learning curve , dented it by turning sharply with boats.

No rack and relying on straps that do not hug the hull and pool noodles is a practice that might work locally but is worth rethinking for long distance hauls.
Getting the shear to adapt to you truck and RV is always a bit of a headscratcher.

A front receiver is best if you have a fifth wheel. Not meaning to be unduly harsh but the Captains set up scares me. So much unsupported bow leads to more movement ( just curious, do you have any movement when you grab the bow and tug to the side? there should be no movement. A rack would guarantee no movement especially with loadstops. We found that even with a canoe loaded with even overhang on both ends there was too much movement when transporting in high crosswind areas like the Great Plains. We reloaded the boat to have more rear overhang and the bow wobble stopped. Of course this won't work with a fifth wheel. But the front rack would solve this.
We have a trailer and yes we have during the learning curve , dented it by turning sharply with boats.

No rack and relying on straps that do not hug the hull and pool noodles is a practice that might work locally but is worth rethinking for long distance hauls.
Getting the shear to adapt to you truck and RV is always a bit of a headscratcher.
You are not unduly harsh, just concerned. I have hauled canoes this way for a lot of miles.

The last trip in June was 540ish miles round trip. 70 mph interstate, mountain passes, and twisty mountain roads with 0 problems. Heck it rained hard on the 6+ hour return trip.

It is not the best way to haul a canoe with a 5th wheel, but is very inexpensive and has worked for me.

Back