• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Physical Conditioning for Canoe Tripping

As a couple of you have said, paddling does not get my heart rate up much, as far as I can tell. I am normally the bow paddler when racing, C2, C4, or voyageur canoe. Even on long-day marathon canoe races (Adirondack 90 miler, Yukon River Quest, Yukon 1000 mile), whether paddling at normal race cadence (60-70 spm) for miles at a stretch, or sprinting (~80+ spm) to stay ahead of or to get past a competitor, I don't feel that I get particularly winded at any time. During the Y1K, with no other racers in sight, just to break the boredom, we would sprint hard for 2 full minutes on a side, then slow to a sustained relaxed race pace for 2-4 mins, then sprint again for 2 mins on the other side. Repeat. Although I set the cadence pace for the team from the bow, I don't ever feel out of breath while paddling. The same is true when I train solo, or on either of my paddling machines.

However, during portages, I often have a hard time keeping up with my younger fast on foot running team mates. Breathing sucks. Thankfully, after the Le Mans stye sprint run start, there are no portages to run on the Yukon race route.

With plenty of snow on the ground and thick ice still on the lake today (the first day of spring), it's time for me to go hop on my machine at camp now.

I am right in the middle of getting ready for my shakedown cruise next month. Chick and I walk, at a brisk pace, 3.7 miles per day unless it's more than the upper 80's or less than 15 degrees out. I begin wearing my pack with 25 lbs and walk an hour. Then I just keep adding distance and weight until I break out the actual canoe.

However, I am trying something new. It is based on 100 - I must do 100 things per day. For example, if I walk for 75 mins, then i need to add 25 more items, which I have been splitting up alternating between push-ups and sit-ups. Depending on when and where I am I can always put something together. On my 8 hour layover at JFK I just walked for the 100, then added other stuff when I got home. This has been working remarkedly well.

I just go to fitness center and do 5 miles on treadmill. Nice view though.

Attachments

• PXL_20230327_130143686_copy_1024x768.jpg
    PXL_20230327_130143686_copy_1024x768.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230324_122602396_copy_1024x768.jpg
    PXL_20230324_122602396_copy_1024x768.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 10
I am right in the middle of getting ready for my shakedown cruise next month. Chick and I walk, at a brisk pace, 3.7 miles per day unless it's more than the upper 80's or less than 15 degrees out. I begin wearing my pack with 25 lbs and walk an hour. Then I just keep adding distance and weight until I break out the actual canoe.

However, I am trying something new. It is based on 100 - I must do 100 things per day. For example, if I walk for 75 mins, then i need to add 25 more items, which I have been splitting up alternating between push-ups and sit-ups. Depending on when and where I am I can always put something together. On my 8 hour layover at JFK I just walked for the 100, then added other stuff when I got home. This has been working remarkedly well.
Seems like a very effective program you have created for yourself. Especially the self motivation to meet your personal limits that you set for yourself. Your mention of carrying weight (25lbs) in your pack coincides with a conversation that I had with one of my co-workers, however our conversation was discussing the use of a weighted vest. These vests are available in several weight options and hug close to the chest (like a PFD). I have been walking usually 2 miles or so a day with my wife and then I tack on another 2.5 miles during my break at work. Adding weight I believe is also what I need about now, however walking around with my Canoe Pack during break would appear quite odd to some so this is why the consideration of a weighted vest came into play. Also have been hitting the weights and continually working on better flexibility and mobility by learning new stretching techniques. Feeling pretty good. Time is short now before we all start hitting the water!

Last year I was hiking with packs weighted with bags of rice. Also was hiking up to a half mile per day with the canoe on my shoulders.

Last year I was hiking with packs weighted with bags of rice. Also was hiking up to a half mile per day with the canoe on my shoulders.
That's hard to beat Erica. The only thing I would add (for beginners, not necessarily you Erika) is to spend some extra time doing some repetitions lifting the packs and the canoe. I think this is where an injury is most likely to happen.

That's hard to beat Erica. The only thing I would add (for beginners, not necessarily you Erika) is to spend some extra time doing some repetitions lifting the packs and the canoe. I think this is where an injury is most likely to happen.
Actually, I was thinking I should add the repetitions of lifting up and down heavy packs. Haven't done that yet.

The other one I have to add is getting into and out of the canoe. That right broken ankle (now healed, but still with probably permanent nerve damage) and proprioception appear to be an ongoing issues.

I had shoulder surgery to repair a tendon in January 2022. It’s mended well and pain is gone. However, I do feel a twinge if I try pushups and other high impact exercise. I decided to abandon weights, chin ups, pushups which I have done for 50 years. I now use rubber bands. My strength is good and I have no pain, except for some arthritis and a spur that acts up randomly. I can take a 30# rubber band and get a full upper body workout anywhere. I built this device and it works, workouts are fast and effective. I’ve added stronger bands since this photo. Just takes a while to get the exercises down that target the various groups.

Attachments

• IMG_2646.jpeg
    IMG_2646.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'm a firm believer in strength training to recover from injury. There's nothing wrong with the bands, but I don't think I'd give up totally on the push ups. Just start slow, it may not take long at all to eliminate those Twinges.

Being physically beat down is so hard to manage, it goes straight to your head. It’ll ruin a good time real quick! And being real sick for a few days, no thanks! Not even your favorite low key movies will save you.

I definitely try to stay active. Snowboarding, snowshoeing but especially the two together. Early morning wake up, snowshoe up, snowboard down. Feels really good to be out before the town wakes up. Besides being active, I try to treat myself well. Deep breathing, cold water soaks, and mushrooms. Might not be for everybody and should probably be looked into, but I take reishi (in powder or foraged), lions mane, and a bunch of other herbs like nettle, mullein, hawthorn. That all helps activate my mind and body for the day, which in turn gives me more strength to go do more. Not always, I do have some blood diseases that make me want to sleep all day. But a lot of the days. However, this winter I somehow seemed to gain more gut than usual.

My wife and I are obsessed with being outside. Year round backpacking, trail running, sea kayaking on Lake Erie, maintaining an old house and garden work well for keeping us in shape.

I take inspiration from 3 people, however. My grandfather took his final overnight canoe trip with me when he was 85. We paddled a 17’ aluminum Grumman 30 miles down a river overnighting on an island. He helped with every bit of it. His motto was, “don’t stop moving, or you’ll stop moving.”

We frequently wilderness trip with a good friend who just turned 78 and my 75 year old father in law. Photos attest to their fitness. At this point, they just refuse to stop and make a point to undertake significant movement every day.IMG_3906.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9882.jpeg
    IMG_9882.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 11
I just keep in shape by continuing to work in my "retirement". Doing projects like this one, up & down ladders all day and toting heavy pressure treated lumber gives me all the workout I need for tripping. By comparison, the occasional portage or long day paddling is a "walk in the park".

tempImageq0mHPw.pngtempImageL5GFto.png

Last edited:
Back