• Happy Birthday, Liberace (1919-87)! 🤵🏻🎹🕎

Photo of the day

Beautiful shot Karin. I love doors and doorways, among other subjects; don't have any with canoes in them.

No Title

Today with my 8 years old.

Attachments

• photo4736.jpg
    photo4736.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4737.jpg
    photo4737.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 0
ADK park, the last weekend in April this year. A stunning sunset that just kept getting better.. It rather made up for our disappointment at not seeing the (prediction) irruption of Northern Lights that night. An enchilada baking in the camp oven brought us back for a late dinner. DSCF9391.JPG

No Title

Spent last week at my family's camp in Vermont. Its a hard place to take bad pictures of, but I keep trying.

Attachments

• photo4836.jpg
    photo4836.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 2
No Title

Donnell Pond Maine. About 25 free camping sites. Its a lake actually. Circumnavigation is 10 miles. There is another lake on the other side of the mountain(Tunk) with free camping too but a very light boat would help with the 600 foot ascent. Cottages confined to one inlet. Its too rocky for much boat traffic It has a launch ramp and is a good potential stop over for anyone going Down East on Rt 1. Its off route 1 on a couple of local roads about 15 miles east of Ellsworth

Attachments

• photo4838.jpg
    photo4838.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo4839.jpg
    photo4839.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
That's a mean looking turtle. Earlier this summer I was driving to work along a winding backroad and came up to a crowd of cars, with people standing around in a large circle looking down at something. I thought "oh oh". A farmer waved me past the incident scene. It seems someone had called a Conservation officer to help them persuade a snapping turtle across the road. It was really big and they were really nervous. All you can really do is help it off the road in the direction it's headed, and then let it be. I don't know how it all worked out; I had things to do and places to go of my own. Attitudes have changed towards snapping turtles around here. They're actually a species of special concern (dwindling numbers), and have been trapped extensively over the years. Habitat loss is a big issue. I've never come across a snapper while tripping but know that they're out there. As a kid I used to swim in creeks, streams and ponds without a worry. I'm not so worry-free anymore.

Most of the more used campsites in Nopoming PP have resident snappers that have established routines of cleaning up pickerel carcasses. This was one of two that frequented our site on McGregor Lake on the Bird River. This was of prehistoric dimensions and just look at the algae on it's back. Massive thing that makes one move to another location to swim.

Funny thing is, last summer when Christy was giving me a pickerel cleaning tutorial on the beautiful shore of Gripp Lake I was wearing my bathing trunks. I'd intended to go for a dip, but when she slung the head and guts into the lake, explaining that a snapper somewhere will take care of that I suddenly lost my swimming mojo.

We have resident snappers in our lake and sometimes they amble down the road.. Some two feet long end of carapace to end of carapace. Not surprisingly they are in the lake.. We have five pound largemouth.bass which in New Brunswick are invasive.
But everyone swims
Rileys Bait

Last edited:
I've heard, but can't verify, that snapping turtles are only aggressive on land and not in the water. Reason being that, unlike most turtles, they can't tuck completely into their shell for protection. So on land they're vulnerable so they have to be aggressive to stave off predators. In the water they can simply swim away.

I helped snapping turtles cross the road twice. The first time was a smallish one and I grabbed it on either side of the shell at the widest point figuring I was safe. About half way across the road it snapped its neck out quick as a rattler and just about got my finger. I dropped it and carried it by the tail the rest of the way.

The next time the turtle was bigger and I used my paddle to help it along and flip it up over the curb. It pissed something stinky all over the paddle which interested Sadie very much when I got back in the car. Whatever it was she must have given it a little lick. When she was done inspecting the paddle she jumped back into the front seat and I looked over to see her mouth covered with foam and drool running out all over the place. Apparently that's another one of their defense mechanisms.

Now when I see a snapper crossing the road I usually just wave and say, "good luck".

Alan

Not sure why people feel the need to help a snapping turtle.
The big on in our neighborhood has a record of traveling long distances per day

Back