• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Photo of the day

The below pic was taken a couple of weeks ago from our campsite on Red Rock Lake in the BWCA. The moon was just coming over the hillside on the far side of the lake and at about 2 o’clock you can see another glow that was bright enough to throw a reflection on the lake as well. My buddy thought it was Mars, but I’m thinking more like Saturn…🤷‍♂️
6BCAEF8B-7AAB-47A2-A86B-4FFB68ECBD72.jpeg

The underwater pic is a spring off the west bank of the Wacissa River, nearly across the river from Big Blue Spring. See the westerly tangent on my GPS track:

001E2134-9888-45E3-8819-2D8926C36C97.png

There are numerous spring-fed rivers and streams in Florida:

Rainbow springs & river
Silver springs & river
Ginnie Springs is off the Santa Fe which is tannic, but close to the Ichetucknee which is clear.
Econfina Creek is variably tannic with many springs on it.
Merritts Mill Pond is dammed and captures the flow from Jackson Blue, and the spillway follows a run to the Chipola, itself a gorgeous river.
Wacissa River and numerous springs
Upper St. Marks is clear, but the lower portion is very tidally influenced so no longer clear. Same with the Aucilla.
And of course, Wakulla Spring and the upper portion of the river. It too mixes with the St. Marks and flows out into the Gulf.

There are more of course, that list is just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I've been pretty pleased with them, having used them on a couple of long trips.

The underwater pic is a spring off the west bank of the Wacissa River, nearly across the river from Big Blue Spring. See the westerly tangent on my GPS track:

View attachment 132765

There are numerous spring-fed rivers and streams in Florida:

Rainbow springs & river
Silver springs & river
Ginnie Springs is off the Santa Fe which is tannic, but close to the Ichetucknee which is clear.
Econfina Creek is variably tannic with many springs on it.
Merritts Mill Pond is dammed and captures the flow from Jackson Blue, and the spillway follows a run to the Chipola, itself a gorgeous river.
Wacissa River and numerous springs
Upper St. Marks is clear, but the lower portion is very tidally influenced so no longer clear. Same with the Aucilla.
And of course, Wakulla Spring and the upper portion of the river. It too mixes with the St. Marks and flows out into the Gulf.

There are more of course, that list is just off the top of my head.
Looking at your gps track I can see you like to hit all of the little nooks and crannies along the way. My wife and I were just talking about paddling in those Florida springs.

Looking at your gps track I can see you like to hit all of the little nooks and crannies along the way. My wife and I were just talking about paddling in those Florida springs.

Definitely. This is a big reason for ordering a Phoenix, to more easily poke around in the twisty stuff. I enjoy threading the needle through the tufts of grass and rocks in the shallows and margins, and exploring off the beaten path.

While doing that on the way downstream, I saw a Barred Owl make a kill, hop up onto a cypress knee with it, and begin snacking. I assume one can control focus on an iPhone, but I don’t know how to force focus on something behind interlaced vegetation so my pics of the event don’t show the owl well. But this is the kind of intimate encounter you can experience poking along quietly in the shade and shallows.

Here is a pic of the owl after it flew up onto a branch and I could try for a better shot. Still not great:

7CB0910C-A5CE-4BD0-B934-0A1ECAFA6C93.jpeg

Last edited:
Back