• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Photo of the day

Here is Charles Morris, older brother and business partner of Bert Morris, trailering a B.N. Morris canoe in the age before Elon Musk, Henry Ford, Gottlieb Daimler, Karl Benz, or anyone, was selling auto-mobiles. I need one of those trailers for my new-to-me Morris canoe.

On edit: Correction! Going back to the FB source of the photo, the great grandchildren of Charles Morris, the man in the buggy is actually Bert Morris.

Charles Morris Trailering Canoe in 1890s.jpg

Last edited:
I like that even with major design changes and drastic materials evolution the canoe remains much as it always was. In a world where the only constant is chance it’s an anchor, as capable, useful, recognizable, and accessible as always.

Sandy Point Campsite, Chesuncook Lake, northern Maine, July 26, 4:00 am: crescent moon and the morning star. Sun comes up way early in northern Maine in July and it gets light even earlier. Taken with an older point and shoot digital camera, out the door of my tent when I was half asleep. 20220726 b.JPG

Sandy Point Campsite, Chesuncook Lake, northern Maine, July 26, 4:00 am: crescent moon and the morning star. Sun comes up way early in northern Maine in July and it gets light even earlier. Taken with an older point and shoot digital camera, out the door of my tent when I was half asleep. View attachment 132091
Just checked the charts -- the morning star on that date was Venus, which rose at 3:17 am and the moon rose at 2:42 am and was 4% illuminated.

Here are a couple from yesterday on the east fork of the Moose River in the kenai national wildlife preserve. View attachment 132465View attachment 132466View attachment 132467

Al, where do you put in for the East Fork of the Moose? I put into the Moose where it goes under the Sterling Highway at the Izaak Walton boat launch. I suppose if I had gone further upstream I would have met the East Fork. Maybe I did. Hard to tell as I had no map or GPS.

Rented a canoe from Alaska Canoe & Campgrounds in Sterling:

I put in at Watson lake, just a few miles east of sterling. I’ve never floated to the main branch i don’t think it navigable the whole way. It would be easy to miss from the main branch. I remember it coming over a small beaver dam on river left.

I like to paddle to a small lake about three miles back. There is a campsite back there and I usually get some trout.

The river is small with a low volume and once it leaves the meadows and enters the trees it gets steeper and too rocky and shallow to float.
A1653BE3-5116-4725-80BB-A61D8C1DB163.jpeg

Back