• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Photo of the day

There are some awesome fire pits in WCPP, I posted one earlier in this thread, will see what else I have...

Last edited:
A couple more from WCPP from the Manitoba side.

Last rapid/falls before entering the park. This is about 300m long and really cannot show how much it drops or the canyon it runs through.

A storm brewing on Crystal Lake

A few fire ring pictures

From Killarney Park May 2006
A5G1G23.jpg

From Temagami May 2007
kQCrpz7.jpg

Another from that same trip
bNfITbb.jpg

One of my favourites from WCPP 2012
Fire burning under the cap rock in the rain
MFKw7Q9.jpg

Here's another from a second trip into WCPP 2012
59R8a8h.jpg

And couple from the family trip 2013
QWP7d1C.jpg

RgoxxFv.jpg

I'm itching to get out there again

Memequay, when we going to see the completed igloo?

This one is on a beautiful island campsite on lake just north of the Moon River in Ontario.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red, Igloo is close to completion , just a top row left, but due to angle and the lousy sugar snow, each block needs about 20 minutes to be secure. Hope to finish tomorrow.

Spent the afternoon ice fishing today. Can't say enough on how nice it is to be where I am: winter or summer, but the pictures here are making yearn for a paddle.

In case you are wondering Clem, that's Murkey Creek on highway 584 as you head toward Nakina. There is a boat launch at the bridge, and that rapid is about a kilometre downstream. There is a very short portage river left right before the rapid, or you can shoot it if you hang tight on the left. Why should you know this? Because the fishing right below the rapid is phenomenal in the spring. You can proceed from there down through Arm Lake, Poilu Lake and eventually into Burrows Lake. All good fishing!

Holy Toledo! Memequay just gave away a secret fishing sweet spot!
Those fire pits look inviting. Red makes a nice looking bannock. Clem hauls in a side of beef for the first nights meal. I like the look of that. I'm thinking that sandy fire pit with sea shells calls for a margarita. We miss having a wood burning fireplace. We don't have one in this house. I have an electric faux fireplace instead. It puffs out heat for chilly evenings, but there's nothing like a bit of smoke and flame from a real fire. I have one of those clay pot things next to the patio, but it's somewhere under a snow bank right now. I wonder what Memequay will equip his igloo with? Here's a local igloo looking psychedelic :http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2014/01/16/igloo-building-a-cool-family-project
I can't wait for the first campfire.

No real wilderness or secret fishing spots here. Does urban paddling count for a photo of the day?

Island%20Paddle%20048_rs.jpg

That's a superb view Murat. I've been commuting to Toronto downtown for work this week. With one eye on the angry tail lights in front of me, I've kept another eye on the frozen waterfront out to the islands and thought "I wonder what it would be like to paddle there?" The timing of this photo of yours has made my commute entirely worth it. Thanks.

I have fond memories of Toronto, in October '72 my wife and I had a great time there, along with Niagara Falls and Ottawa. We where newly married, nice memories. Nice picture of a city I like, Thanks

Brad: I feel your pain with commuting in our city...too much anger on the roads.

If you're interested to see pics about what a day trip to the islands looks like, I had written a brief trip report on my site here. Pretty interesting place to explore by canoe...you can get into some totally isolated channels with wonderful bird life and serenity, and then be surrounded by a carnival of noise the next.

Sweeper, decks were just plain cherry...nothing remarkable. Ended up decorating them with a wood burning pattern (my other hobby). Did this during the winter when the filler on the canvas was curing. Kind of went nuts with an abstract design on the carrying yoke and seats too but was smart enough to take them off the boat and do the work indoors...

DSCN9827_rs.jpg

DSCN9840_rs.jpg

Back