• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

PFD Pocket For Portage Pack

Reaction score
We had good luck with this PFD Pocket that we attached to the back of one of our portage packs. At the portage, we used it to put in our life jackets, map case, and small bow bag. It really helped to keep our hands free on the portages. However, it did tend to pull back on the person doing the carrying. It is made out of 420 denier nylon packcloth, has a single 1" webbing closure at the top, four triangular drain holes at the bottom corners and six quick release attachment points. It is wide open at the top for easy loading. When not in use it lays down, out of the way. Nothing fancy but it worked well. It is the pack on the right.

Attachments

• photo3078.jpg
    photo3078.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3084.jpg
    photo3084.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3085.jpg
    photo3085.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, nice idea for the misc. stuff that usually ends up in your hands on a portage. I usually wear my PDF though either when carrying the canoe or as extra padding when carrying a pack.

I hate tripping with folks who have lots of loose items in the canoe that they then carry across the portage in their hands so this looks quite a neat idea. Makes it less likely that things are left behind and lost.
​We just clip our PFDs under the pack straps though. One reason to choose packs with long closing flaps.

Back