• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Paddle transport cart

I’m still at 11 inch when the cart is folded.

Attachments

• BD446B95-8E39-4763-8190-FC715A88A741.jpeg
    BD446B95-8E39-4763-8190-FC715A88A741.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 3
...is there any reason the canoe could not be upside down as it would be on a car top carrier?
I've thought about doing that and we'd just lash the paddles inside the canoe and carry our gear in day packs. But the canoe does make a nice tub when it's right side up.

This looks like a good time to mention a previous thought i see mentioned above. Other than the huge tub used to haul the gear while portaging, is there any reason the canoe could not be upside down as it would be on a car top carrier? It would be much easier to tie down. It would be quite easy to make bunks to contain the canoe.
Clearance. Depends a bit on model but with those recurved stems hanging down you are going to lose a lot of clearance and hook stuff.

Yes, the crossbars to hold the canoe would have to be raised up off the cart to get adequate stem clearance.

I've found the best way to keep the cart in place is to have a separate strap (or rope) on each corner, going to the yoke and the thwart.

If the strap merely goes over the hull in a loop, even double stranded, it doesn't prevent the cart from sliding. It has a similar profile to a watch, and the canoe is the wrist.

I like to set the cart about two feet behind the portage yoke, then use a doubled strap to loosely secure each front corner to the portage yoke. (One strap doubled on each corner to the yoke.). Then I use a separate rope to secure each rear corner of the cart to a thwart, carry handle, or seat hanger. Finally I go back to the front straps and tighten them. But not tight enough to break something.

After many experiments, I remove my painters, tie to the grab handles at each end of the boat and tie with a trucker's hitch to the four corners of the cart. Five or six miles fully loaded on a logging road like this and very little shifting.2022-05-23 11.35.21.jpg

After many experiments, I remove my painters, tie to the grab handles at each end of the boat and tie with a trucker's hitch to the four corners of the cart. Five or six miles fully loaded on a logging road like this and very little shifting.View attachment 134548
Basically what I tried to describe, but with cam straps. Worked well for me.

Back