• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Overhead Canoe Storage

I have exposed attic trusses- not sure I would have thought to hang the hardware above to get them even higher. thanks Lance.

I lag bolted 2x4" crosspieces between the upper webs of the joists and then used the included lag screws from the kit (1/4" or 5/16") to attach the upper sheave of the pulley system to the crosspieces. The basement "ceiling" is about 8'2" and I'm 6'4" tall. The hoist gives me a few inches of space to walk under the canoes. I started hanging the kayaks and canoes next to the farthest wall of the basement from the entry doors and where my woodworking machines are so that they would be more nearly out of the way.

We're the second owners of the house and so didn't get any choice in height but I do wish the previous owners (they were also the builders) had gone up one or two more courses of block in the basement. When we had our Upstate New York farm we had nearly 11,000 square feet of tall steel shop and storage buildings and the kayaks and canoes were all hanging along a wall and I never had to think about them. I don't miss the work around the farm (or the taxes....) but I sure miss those buildings.

Best regards to all.

Lance

I put this together several years ago. I think the canoe weighs about 80#. I'm sure there's better lifts out there, but it worked for me.

Attachments

• photo15517.jpg
    photo15517.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 2
Back