• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Ordering parts or gear? USPS Caution

Amazon Prime is now a joke. I haven't received anything in two days in many months. And it's not just a USPS problem because Amazon often takes a lot more than two days even to begin the shipment. I don't know why I keep paying for this non-service from the world's richest man. Well, I do know: I'm addicted to UK police and mystery shows that play on Amazon Prime and its affiliate channels.

Must be a regional problem, Prime here is overnight for any in stock items, I've occasionally had stuff delivered the same day. My wife orders books from the UK all the time, but they generally take 3 weeks because they're not coming from one of Amazon's warehouses.

Must be a regional problem, Prime here is overnight for any in stock items, I've occasionally had stuff delivered the same day. My wife orders books from the UK all the time, but they generally take 3 weeks because they're not coming from one of Amazon's warehouses.

Nowhere near a fulfillment center and we have Prime. Sometimes it is two days and sometimes more. We don't have big box stores either. Costco is an all day eight hour round trip drive. So when I see areas of big box stores it is very jarring for me.

Looking at locations of Amazon Fulfillment centers they are concentrated in KY and AZ.. Nearest one to me is over 200 miles away.

I must not know what a big box store is. Two weeks ago, I drove through your backyard in Windham, ME and went right past a Walmart Supercenter, a Lowes and a Home Depot. Those don't count?

One of the lovely things about living in the Lakes area is that distances are way different by water and by land. I live 3 miles from the launch you used by water. We used to have delivery errors by Fed Ex as they used outdated GPS data. We had to give them directions from near that launch to our house. They were chagrined ( they have to keep to a schedule) to arrive at our house some 18 minutes later and that was at 40 mph.

Last edited:
Adding to the litany of delays I have an Amazon book that left Pennsylvania last Tuesday then spent two days at the Greensboro USPS facility 45 minutes from here. It appears to have been at our local PO just five miles away since I got an email Saturday AM stating that it was out for delivery but it is still a no-show. All the USPS site says now is "arriving late".

And from what I see a Veterans Administration prescription refill mailed in Greensboro has gone AWOL for over a week. Come to think of it, I should log into the VA site to see if it was returned to them or if they know anything.

And I'm still waiting for router and sander bearings that should have been here Saturday.

Did you note that our Postmaster General told a Congressional hearing today that the USPS didn't need the removed sorters but then stated that if they gave the USPS $1,000,000,000 that he'd have one of the removed high speed envelope sorters re-installed?

Best regards to all,

Lance

Nowhere near a fulfillment center and we have Prime. Sometimes it is two days and sometimes more. We don't have big box stores either. Costco is an all day eight hour round trip drive. So when I see areas of big box stores it is very jarring for me.

Looking at locations of Amazon Fulfillment centers they are concentrated in KY and AZ.. Nearest one to me is over 200 miles away.

so, yeah, that would be a regional problem. Up here in Canada, Amazon seems to be opening a centre in every major town or city, we have 3 in a town of 120,000.
a driver told me their plan is to eventually be within an hour of almost anywhere. Even people from Iqaluit are ordering using Prime
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-amazon-prime

"Adding to the litany of delays I have an Amazon book that left Pennsylvania last Tuesday then spent two days at the Greensboro USPS facility 45 minutes from here. It appears to have been at our local PO just five miles away since I got an email Saturday AM stating that it was out for delivery but it is still a no-show. All the USPS site says now is "arriving late". Lance

Goodness gracious Lance give the PO peeps time to finish the book would ya?!

"

Goodness gracious Lance give the PO peeps time to finish the book would ya?!

Well, the book that left Pennsylvania last Tuesday got here this Tuesday. And I was mistaken, it was a "free shipping" book and not an Amazon Prime shipment. And the bottom bearing for my 3-1/4 HP plunge router arrived but the top bearing is somewhere out there still. As tool parts trickle in it's a version of parts bingo. Every few parts I yell "Bingo!!" and assembly another tool. :rolleyes:

Best regards to all,

Lance

A good deal of our international news each night is flooded with American politics and all unseemly things related. The news journos are more like carnival barkers promising the bizarre and ungodly. Exciting stuff, if I were interested in that kind of thing, but I am not, so I miss out on all that entertainment. BTW we apparently have our very own political bearded ladies and spider babies up here so it's not just an American thing. Nobody likes a crapshow. All this to say I have no idea what this USPS thing is all about. But I wish you all a brighter light at the shorter end of your tunnel.
We don't seem to be suffering postal political wrangling but we sure do have front porch thievery going on. Nothing's been nicked from our front door but we play it safe anyway. Everything is shipped to my wife's place of work. An industrial office up a long flight of stairs. No dropping things off there without a human signature. And more often than not there's a life-sized rottie snoozing at the top of those stairs. Under all that meat and muscle he's really a stupid kitten, but still it's best if you don't piss him off. Take the parcel to the front desk and do not pass GO. My wife will inspect said parcel, watch as you snap a delivery selfie and then off you go...step over...the dog...quietly. Now you may pass GO.
We do have delivery delays I can tell you but it's mostly due to Covid complications. Hopefully we'll all be back no a new normal soon, without the freak-show.

So far we have been getting reasonably quick and reliable deliveries via USPS here in Tallahassee. Some friends and family in Maryland have said that service has been terrible lately, both very slow and unreliable.

Fed Ex is not immune from delays. The latest here is a howler.

I got a text from Fed Ex in the afternoon that my address is incorrect for delivery. It is a physical address and for 21 years UPS and even USPS ( who delivers mostly to our steel cluster boxes) knows where it is.

I called Fed Ex right away and gave them detailed instructions.

My husband returned home from an errand while I was on the phone with Fed Ex. He told me after that Fed Ex had been here yesterday morning and the driver found us but could not locate the package in his truck ( a Patio Umbrella its a six foot long skinny box so not indistinct). Just wasn't there!

This am Fed Ex arrived. The back of the van looked like Hoarders gone amok... what a mess. But I got my umbrella.

It isn’t every package. I ordered a bottle of 303, Amazon shipped via USPS, and it arrived 2 days later.

Still no canoe seat though, 37 days and counting, no tracking since August 10[SUP]th[/SUP]. At this point I don’t expect I’ll ever see it, but will keep you posted.

I quit ordering from Amazon Prime. I place an order and the order sets for 3 weeks to a month before they ship it. I order the same thing from eBay and I get the order in less than a week. Ordering something from China now take less shipping time than Amazon Prime.

Back