• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Old Gear Still Using

My 15’ Chum and 16’ Cruiser are both close to 70 years old, my beavertail paddles came from old canoe camps, no telling how old they are, maybe 30-40 years old. They are all my regular tripping boats & paddles.
I have an old Woods Pack ( thanks Chip) that was put up for sale by the daughter of an old canoe outfitter on Albany River in northern Ontario, It could be from the 50’s. I use the old Woods Pack Memaquay gave me when his HS Outters Club replaced their packs
My Duluth Packs from the early 80’s.
I still use a tarp I bought from Campmore in the 80’s.
I still use my 4 man Ureka Timberline and my solo North Face Pebble, both from Campmore before 2000.
My ss cooking pot and aluminum Boy Scout bowls where bought in the 80’s, along with an aluminum coffee percolator that I don’t use anymore.
I have no idea how old my cold handle frying pan is but I use it every trip.

^^^ It's that 40 year old tarp that most surprises me.
Here it is in LaVerendrye, Quebec sticking out of my #3 Duluth Pack, sometime in the early 80’s. That paddle didn’t last, cracked, I went to beavertails around then too. I traded that Duluth “kitchen pack” for a smaller Duluth Pack to a guy out west shortly after also.
I carried too much back then!
Here it is covering my little North Face Pebble cause the fly is not very waterproof anymore, too cheap to replace it. This was 2 years ago in North Maine Woods. You can see I sewed canoe canvas to the corners for tie points, and duct tape helps with the small rips.
early laverendrye self with pink hat.jpg

IMG_2732.PNG

Last edited:
My early ‘80’s Campmor tarp was thrown out last summer. No tears, no leaks just that horrible overwhelming stink. Even even set up for days, you didn’t want to be under it. I now have a CCS.
Still use my Duluth packs from 1970, down mummy bag, Svea stove, and many more.
Jim

I still have Campmor 10x10 bought before I'd ever heard of CCS. Doesn't smell and won't die. Can't justify a CCS tarp because of it.

I am giddy with excitement because a I bought a Coleman gas stove yesterday for $25. It is from 1959 and feels like the case is bigger and heavier than the more modern stoves. There is something about filling the red tank, messing with the pump and the familiar hiss of the stove. I love the blue flame and dependability. Some parts may be NLA, no longer available, but people love these stoves. There are used parts around, and some old Coleman parts dealers. They work better than propane in the cold. They just feel right.

Just bought this from a nice guy. He is selling an American Trader canoe/row boat and I saw the pack basket in the picture. I was able to buy the basket.
he bought it up in the ADK near Speculator many years ago. It will go in the Chum on trips and keep the tradition going.

Attachments

• 06E83D08-4EA9-4ABA-A694-B73787804584.jpeg
    06E83D08-4EA9-4ABA-A694-B73787804584.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 7
  • BA8B49C1-FD25-4263-A5D7-E8A221EABE8F.jpeg
    BA8B49C1-FD25-4263-A5D7-E8A221EABE8F.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 7
Back