• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Okefenokee swamp

Reaction score
Dave and I decided to get one more paddling camping trip in this fall. I somehow managed to get a permit for three nights in the Okefenokee Swamp National Wildlife Refuge with only a week's notice (permits are reservable up to two months before a trip date, and I have heard tales of people putting the permit phone number on speed dial to get through to the refuge office). Camping was on platforms over water/land/swamp, so we took Dave's solo Wilderness canoe and my Kruger Seawind for ease of loading and unloading.

The eleven hour drive down I-95 was uneventful and it was a short drive from there to our campground for the night before the trip. we stayed at Traders Hill Campground. $10/tent per night. Nice laid back campground, clean restroom and shower (yes, just one).

The next morning, Sunday, we drove about five miles to the Okefenokee Swamp Recreation Area visitor center and checked in with our permit. The center is nicely maintained, has a nice beach to launch from, and seems pretty secure for multi day parking. Gator number one was waiting for us just off the beach.

We launched, and paddled west out through the main cross swamp canal. We passed two groups of people coming in from weekend trips. Our first camping platform was about a ten mile paddle. Each platform is elevated about 2 feet above the water and is about twenty by forty feet, with half of the platform covered with a tin roof like a picnic pavilion. A small walkway leads to a port a pot with a pit toilet underneath. This site was partially on land, so we beached our boats to unload. There was a fire ring on the land. There are very few sites where fires are allowed. After setting up our tents and tying them down to posts and other appurtenances on the platform, we relaunched for some more paddling. While paddling in the main canal was an easy 3.5 mph pace, once we left the canal and got into some of the less traveled trails the lilies and other aquatic vegetation slowed our pace to less than three miles per hour. Plus, we were gawking at the scenery and birds, such as White Ibis and Wood Storks. We did about 16 miles that day. That night the low was between 50-60 degrees, and we had no mosquitoes. However, Fluffy, the resident alligator at the platform did show up begging for a handout. Poor Fluffy went hungry that night.

Next morning we relaunched under the watchful eyes of Fluffy and headed back through the canal and then north into the trails to Cedar Hammock platform, about a 10 mile paddle. The location of this platform had puzzled us before the trip, and it did not show up on any maps. We found out at the visitor center that a fire about ten years ago had burned the platform and the surrounding area, and a day use platform had been repurposed at a new location on the trail but not renamed on the map. This platform, consisting of the plastic dock blocks we often see at marinas and kayak launches, was literally floating in an open area of the swamp's prairie. A 360 degree view of the swamp, and a nice sunset. Anchoring to the platform was a bit of a challenge, as we only had the pavilion posts to use, and the platform pieces tended to form an uneven sleeping surface. Both of us were glad we would not be experiencing a thunderstorm while camping on this site. While the swamp was surprisingly quiet during the day, at night the noises were constant. Alligators groaned and bellowed, owls hooted, frogs croaked, and lots of unknown things splashed. And there were the expected mosquitoes once the wind died down. The morning brought a wet fog and we were careful not to slip slide off the platform into the realm of the gators.

Our third day of paddling took us south about 10 miles to Monkey Lake, where the platform was located in the center of a cedar hammock. The paddle took us across the widest section of prairies we had seen to date. Our largest alligators were seen along this route, with one in the 8-9 foot range (sorry, no desire struck us to get exact close up measurements). There were very few mosquitoes at this site which surprised us. That night we were closely serenaded by several Barred Owls, with at least one about ten feet from the tents.

Our last day of paddling took us out seven miles to the north. We came across two Sandhill Cranes in the prairie. The binoculars revealed that these were wild birds, with no identification bands. Very nice to see. We just beat the rain back to the vehicle and managed to keep ahead of it for the drive back to Maryland.

Overall, a very nice exploratory trip. It would be worthwhile to go back and do more camping and paddling in other parts of the swamp. Permits are $15/person per night, and I am not sure of the maximum number of people allowed per site, but I wouldn't want to have more than four tents on a platform. It looked like the pavilions would support a hammock, but you would be in the way of cooking and using the platform in the rain.

Attachments

• photo3338.jpg
    photo3338.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3339.jpg
    photo3339.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3340.jpg
    photo3340.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3341.jpg
    photo3341.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3342.jpg
    photo3342.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3343.jpg
    photo3343.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3344.jpg
    photo3344.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3345.jpg
    photo3345.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the TR and an encouragement for me to swop sides of Okefenokee. So far I have always launched from Stephen Foster SP. I'll make notes on the campground you used.

Oke chickees seem to be bigger than Glades chickees where if you hammock with more than one you will go in the drink( you have to go diagonal. There are only four corner posts) I too hate the chickee dance even though these are relatively huge ( its 12x12 in the Glades).

Did you do as I do? I take a five by five foot packcloth square so that it is a kitchen. Saves errant silverware from sliding between planks. I too have no desire to root around in gator territory.

We have a Chickee snubbing system. Its easy on canoes with two thwarts. I have to put some attachments on my Monarch. If I tie to lines from the side just in back and in front of me ( canoes have those handy things called thwarts) and tie them high and snug, I can stand in the boat and unload while being steady

Dont feel bad for Fluffy. Gators can go a year between meals.

Do you know if the route across the swamp east/west is open? A friend found it overgrown and blocked by vegetation at one time, making it impassable, but I do not know if that situation persists.

The boards on the platforms were generally very tight together for the ones we visited, but I have seen your method of the cloth used before.

I have a clip line that goes from one of the Kruger's padeyes around the platform post and back to clip into a second padeye. Worked for me in the Everglades where the chickees are much higher than in the Oke.

I respect predators that are able to argue with me about which of us is the top of the food chain :)

I was a little concerned about popping a padeye.. I have quite a few of them.. I have not chickee camped with the Monarch in the Eveglades..the last few trips have been beach/ground. This time we're going back to Flamingo for a loop to Canepatch and work back.

across the Okefenokee. I have not done it. but there may be a way. the first trip listed
http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Okefenokee/visitor_activities/wilderness_canoeing.html

Anyone else having problems with the photos? I am (they're very small), and I'd love to see them.

Gdwelker - Thanks for your trip report. I did a lot of your route about a month ago with my wife and some friends. I can tell you that the east/west route is open but not on every trail. When I was there we also stayed at Canal Run. Once our tents were up we continued down to the end of the original canal to where the stream continues down to Billy's Island. This area was definitely open but there's a lot of twisting and turning along the way. It's also my understanding that the most northerly route across the swamp is open; Big Water to Maul Hammock and out to Steven Foster SP. At this point in time the eastern approach to Floyd's Island is still blocked off due to downed trees but the refuge staff is scheduled to reopen that side of the island this coming winter; it's still approachable from the other side based on all the information I received. At this point I've been fortunate enough to cross the entire swamp from east to west via the northern route and also through Floyd's Island. The next time I'd like to do it via Canal Run. Hopefully the conditions will cooperate.

BTW...did you enjoy being on Cedar Hammock? I've only stopped there for lunch and have always wondered what it might be like to camp on those floating dock sections. All I can think of is someone getting sea sick from all the rocking if a bad storm comes through during the night. I definitely think a hammock would be the best option while there.

One last thing; based on what the refuge headquarters has stated to me in the past, they figure that groups up to 20 people can fit on the platforms. I have no idea where they get that number because I've never been with a group larger than 10 and even with that, some places are incredibly crowded. I guess a group of 20 would have to be very comfortable with each other :)

That's all for now. Thanks for your report and photos. They bring back great memories. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Wow! Loved the pictures but paddling with gators, eek! I like those floating docks, very cool. Not familiar with "chickees" have to look it up. Thanks for posting.

No Title

Okefenokee Chickee
http://www.wildlifesouth.com/Locatio...kefenokee.html

Everglades Chickee
http://evergladesdiary.com/dir_south.html#watsonriver

we froze on this one.Note the size differences.

Floyds Island is 10 miles from Stephen Foster and is navigable from the west. Speaking of gators there is a narrow channel approaching Floyds Island . Its about about four feet wide. There is a 12 foot gator that likes to hang out literally on the end of a log.
I did not stop to take his portrait.. my canoe was 24 inches wide. Two feet isn't much of a margin of comfort as they can move fast

Pet me!

Attachments

• photo3347.jpg
    photo3347.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3348.jpg
    photo3348.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 1
Dave and Greg,
Your TR and photos really have me thinking about a swampy trip!!
I noticed that those pitcher plants look quite a bit different from the ones we have hear in the NE, and those big spotted newts (you keep calling them gators?) look waaay different too!! ;);)

Stripperguy,
There are 3 types of pitcher plants in the swamp and the one we saw was the the hooded pitcher plant, Sarracenia minor. I think the Adirondack pitcher plant is called the northern pitcher plant (sarracenia purpurea). They look very different. The large lizards don't seem to bother anyone but are very intimidating. They avoid rather than confront. If they are ashore and want to feel safe they head for the water. Most of the ones we saw swimming just sank to the bottom. I inadvertently paddled over one in 3 feet of water. I only know this because I spooked it and there was a great splash and disturbance right under my seat. That got my heart pumping! Certainly a different kind of tripping from up north. The area calls for short bladed paddles. I was using my 51" Bending Branches Sunburst which has a 17" blade. Still dug bottom on occasion with it. Leave the beavertails and ottertails at home.
Regards,
Dave.

Last edited:
Large lizards are still wild animals. I have bumped the bottom on more than one, where there was no room for them to submerge. My husband spooked one and it jumped.. just as my bow approached. The darn thing hit its jaw on the stem of my boat and submerged fast...I was grateful not to submerge too.
And once I came around a corner and spooked one in a narrow place on a point again and it charged me. Stood on all fours and ran. For a few feet they are very fast.

the moral is be careful of rounding points where you cannot see what's around the corner. I like taking photos of those large lizards so a superzoom DSLR camera is handy.

and that log with the fat gator on it sticking over a narrow waterway still spooks me though the gator was only doing what it does best.. seeking 82 degrees body temperature.

Off to plan for a canoe trip in the Everglades.. Getting more and more off the main routes as I get to know that area better. I ought to explore more of the Okefenokee but I really like it best when the cypress are out in leaf.

They are not out in March but were the cypress in leaf during your trip?

My personal view is it's the alligators that make paddling there part of the attraction; as well as the many types of birds we'll never see here in the northeast or southern Canada. I've been fortunate enough to not have any major run-ins with the gators over the years but that's always a possibility. I do know that a fair number of bow partners over the years have had a bit of a start when we round a corner and there's a big one on the bank. Out near the Round Top shelter there is a good sized gator which always seems to hiss at you when you go by. A bit unsettling but so far that's all it's done to anyone I've been with. Nonetheless, that hiss definitely gets your mind thinking about other things that could happen :eek:

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back