• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

Oh Canada!....

No Title

The drive home tonight was interesting, 20 foot visibility and less. Wind 40-60, gusting to 80kmh from the NW.

Most of Manitoba's roads south and west of Winnipeg are closed. The red lines are closed roads and highways, been like that all day. Ontario on the right, Saskatchewan on the left, N Dakota to the south.

Attachments

• photo6327.jpg
    photo6327.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 0
It's getting windy in S Ont as well although still warm and pleasant.... seems there's an area of record cold arctic air due this weekend for the Great Lakes and NE - mid-Atlantic states. The Washington Post has a good animation of the cold air sweeping south, watch the purple cold patch.

Biting cold that set records in Canadian Arctic poised to invade eastern U.S. this weekend

[FONT=&quot]In recent days, some of the coldest March air in decades has gripped portions of Alaska and the Canadian Arctic. Fragments of that frigid air will come crashing into the eastern United States on Friday and into the weekend.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The air spilling into the Great Lakes, Northeast and Mid-Atlantic may not fall to record levels, but it could bring the coldest weather to parts of the region since January.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Its pedigree is impressive.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On Saturday, Mould Bay in the Canadian Arctic set an all-time record low of minus-66.5 degrees (minus-54.7 Celsius).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][chart][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Then on Monday, Fairbanks, Alaska, saw its temperature plummet to minus-38, the coldest temperature this late in the season since 1964, according to climatologist Brian Brettschneider.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Meteorologist Ryan Maue tweeted that temperatures in the Canadian Arctic’s lower atmosphere challenged the coldest levels observed in March since at least 1958.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][chart][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The extreme cold was because of the unusual strength of the polar vortex swirling over the region.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tentacles of that vortex will dislodge and slap the Great Lakes, Northeast and Mid-Atlantic with a stinging round of March cold between Friday and the weekend.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]...[/FONT]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e1c837462777

Last edited:
Agreed!
This is my 11th winter in Northern Alberta and quite frankly I enjoy -40 in Edmonton a lot more than i did -10 in Toronto! And I'm a Land Surveyor so spend lots of time outside...
Here the cold is just that: cold. No moisture or humidity in the air and the sun warms you up. You can dress for it. And the snow is light, dry and fluffy.
Southern Ontario, the dampness just seeps through anything you're wearing and the snow is heavy, gloppy stuff.

Much as i miss paddling, I love winter!

Bruce

East coast Canada where I am at, the winter is seldom more than -15 c. But most times it is damp. If it is dry -15 it a nice day. When it is damp, -5 will chill you to the bone.

Back