• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

Oh Canada!....

Winter of our discontent, chapter 2. Flurries looking all blowy and cute, big fat flakes drifting past my picture window, pretty as a picture. Think I'll keep these snow flakes, if Mother Nature will let me.
(Re) accumulation this weekend projected to be only about 2". Oh well, might as well start again hoarding snow. It was a nice white Christmas this year. How was yours where you live? Even a light brush of white against the green is pretty on the landscape.
Mother powdering her lovely January face, as the days grow longer and the slumbering days of winter come to a listless end.

Its as slick as an Elvis pompadour.. All this ice is driving us nuts.. It snows it rains and it freezes.. Repeat. Use of axe on roof.. well hubby is well versed.. The little Gerber hatchet does the job but it still takes hours.
We measured.. six inches solid ice on the driveway. Grateful that the town has a sand pile for us to load our buckets at.

Its all white and its about a foot thick in the woods. sometimes more and its going nowhere soon.

Last edited:
December snowfall records changed to longest consecutive hours of above freezing temps in January, 67 hours. Most rain in January as well so far. Snow pack went from light and fluffy to compressed and saturated. More snow coming though so it will help with the coming floods of Spring.

Groundhog day is Thursday,, so it is all coming to an end soon, although Brad hasn't actually had Winter yet by the sound of it.

By Manitoban standards, no, Brad hasn't had winter yet. In fact, by Manitoban standards Brad will likely never have winter. But Brad isn't complaining about not having a Manitoban winter, just not having much of an Ontarian one either. I read this morning that 40 years ago today we here had a major blizzard. Hmm. I was working in the steel-mills at that time. I vaguely remember getting snowed in at work; streets shut down, city stood stock still under snow banks. I loved it. I spent the entire 2-3 work shifts shovelling. Had to clear paths and equipment. Multi-story structures too, gangways and scaffolding. I was voluntold to ascend an icy stairway several stories up to clear a valve on the top of an expensive SS vessel the size of a freight car (aren't they all expensive??) The ice build up on the stairs was massive, due to steam bleeding off overnight from purging this big tank. I had to use the hand rails on either side for my hands and feet, and slide over the ice encrusted stairs. The guys called up to me "Don't fall. The paperwork will be a @*&%$$$ nightmare!" Very funny. I made it up finally. The view, despite being largely industrial, was breathtaking. An Armageddon scene of steel cloaked in snow as far as the eye could see, flames still escaping the coke ovens, steam tendrils by the hundreds climbing the sky. I waited till the 4" valve gave a steady blast, dawdling a little bit before I gingerly climbed back down. No sense hurrying back to my snow shovel.

Gahhhh! I have officially lost track of how long we've had snow on the ground now. We did have a warm spell (low 40f's) for a couple days last week, so it has settled some, but we're back to staying well below freezing. It might start warming a few degrees above by Wednesday. I'm walking on about a foot of ice when I go to the woodpile. Roads have been getting narrow as people run out of place to park, due to the piled up snow. The local municipalities have shown that they haven't a clue about sensible snow removal - and didn't bother to ask the cities that do. I hope they've learned something by now, so we can be a little more organized the next time.

I'm going out to see if I can find some soft water. Even 100 yards of it will do. The skiing has been great, but I'm ready to be in a boat again. It will be easy to load the canoe, because the Tundra sits in a deep depression in the snowpack.

Found open water - good. Surrounded by ice covered banks - bad. Get out the skis again.

Another warming trend moving in here, plus' again next week. Maybe the puppet ground hog of Winnipeg Spring forecasting was wrong. Yes, a puppet, when the ground hog passed on they replaced it with a puppet.

Actually this deserves to be in an Uh-Oh Canada thread but never mind.

Something that should lighten up cabin fever in the Great White North is the crucial Trudeau/Trump meeting in several days... something tells me that there's a lot riding on this meeting. Like, with the rumor that Sarah Palin might be made the next ambassador to Canada... just a rumor right now, but if things don't go all that well between Donald and Justin, we might get Ambassador Palin to deal with. Probably lots of alternative facts as well.

Already there are some "please bomb us instead" requests... read here.

http://politicaldig.com/horrified-ca...or-ambassador/

Consider it Donald Trump's revenge.

Last month, Canadians held huge demonstrations to oppose his temporary ban on refugees and his travel restrictions on some Muslim visa holders.

Now, rumours are flying that Trump might appoint former Alaska governor Sarah Palin as the next U.S. ambassador to Canada.

http://www.straight.com/news/867306/rumours-fly-sarah-palin-may-become-next-us-ambassador-canada

Last edited:
I'm not overly concerned with politics. The weather on the other hand, I have entirely no control over. That's both a good and bad thing. My d-i-l phoned this morning to ask how expensive are car batteries? I asked her to first sit down. Later she added that they'd need to have their driveway snowbanks pushed back. At about 6 feet tall, it's impossible to see around them to pull out safely into the street. It shouldn't cost more than say $50 to hire a front end loader, right Dad? I asked her if she was still sitting down. Looking out at my own drive I saw springlike conditions, the warming breeze sending little ripples across puddles. My crocus are peeking out, fresh and green ready for an early start. It's February for crying out loud. I don't remember voting for an early end to snow and cold?

Well, the bulk of our snow just melted away in about two days. So, we got flooding. Fortunately, I'm on high ground. The sun actually came out this weekend, but I couldn't do anything about that because I caught a nasty cold. :( But my bees were flying in the afternoon sun, so I'm in a good mood. :D

Flooding is a relative term. We have a few people here who are having some difficulty with it. Nothing like what is happening or may happen in Oroville. California. Very tense situation there now, as their drought conditions seem to have lead to some complacency and unpreparedness. I'm going to stop complaining now, as I pray for a good outcome with their dam.

Brad, really. You have flowers popping out and I was snowshoeing in three foot deep drifts. I think that retirement will entail spending my winters in Port Colborne. I will call the local pizza place here and have them deliver a za to karin every friday night...lol. I will have to plan this out a bit.

The water will probably be an issue here this year. Oh boy do we have lots of snow. Hopefully no fires this year? I forecast some nasty sagamesuk though....probably clouds of the little buggers.

Christy

I think the April Easter bonnet will be worn with snowshoes.

Glenburn Maine not far from me 50 inches.. yesterday.. And another 24 to come tomorrow.. Not cm.. inches.

at my house the snow is four feet deep. Another 1.5 foot tomorrow.

Its a great time to be a skier.

Wow! We went from great skiing to avalanche danger to "let's go paddle" in about a week. Weather here makes your head spin sometimes.

Homeward winds are blowing. A few days ago avoiding the crowds of commuters I chose a secondary road, and slowed down in every manner. Suddenly a pair of swans glided overhead scarcely twenty feet above me, looking like large white paper kites sailing quartered into the wind, aiming for a distant wetland on the edge of the horizon. They might’ve returned from their hiatus spent in warmer climes, stopping over on a long migration north to nesting grounds. I quickly lowered the windows hoping to catch the distinctive air whistling through wing feathers announcing their arrival, but whatever sounds they might’ve made were snatched away by the breeze; I only heard the rattle of dry reeds in the ditches.
Yesterday morning on a different road in the same state of mind I passed a kestrel sitting on a telephone wire. Tiny black eyes scanned the grasses below, and with feathers fluffed out against the brisk wind it sat perfectly still, waiting for it’s next victim. Though I had the windows down I heard no calls. It’s plumage blended in with the rusty browns of earth and field, grass and scrub, and all quickly receded into the background of another workday commute.
Today with another dollar made and workday behind me, I took a busier road through tangled traffic heading north. Whored out pimped up pickups and suvs hassled each other for bragging rights to every exit, while I docilely chose the slow lane behind a sensibly driven semi, waiting for the wasteland of strip malls and box stores to peter out. I chuckled at the angry chromed and polished crowd zigzagging around puddles lest they splash their black velvet tires and bright shiny rims with dirty water. Machismo indeed. But soon enough I had the paved path all to myself, nary a four-wheeled creature in sight. Five miles down the road I saw the gothic semblance of two crows holding court over a road kill, their brethren circling overhead. I slowed and dropped my windows to listen to the raucous calls; their black feathers like starless midnight skies, pushed askew by the late winter wind. Shades of charcoal and soot showed underneath, giving them a funereal appearance. I once had the privilege of having a pair of crows perch on my arm feeding them, while a biologist recorded various signs of health. They're remarkably intelligent, and I felt somewhat intimidated by their haughty glare and bold demeanor. Being human offered me no guarantee of superiority in that aviary.
With only a few miles to go a sudden winter squall blew in, scattering confetti flakes of snow, reminding me that spring is not quite here yet. With all the windows down I let the cool March air wash over me, and like a bird on a wire, fluffed up my woolen scarf and pushed out my canvas coat, hoping the changing winds might at last deliver me home.

Last edited:
So, tomorrow is 2 weeks until the first day of Spring. It is +4.4C outside at the moment...

March, in like a lion. Major Winter Storm forecast for tomorrow into Tuesday. Likely share it with NW Ontario as well, I like sharing.

Week of -30c at night just passed and one comping up!
winter is not over until it's over up here and even then it might not be quite over... Usually it is safe to leave your down jacket home in July!!

Back