• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

NRS 3D End Bag Issue and Repair?

G

I have a set of NRS 3D end floatation bags purchased a few years ago but rarely used. They have been stored in a climate controlled gear room with tents, tarps and PFDs for several years. I got them out to install and discovered that the inflation tubes have mysteriously degraded in storage; they are brittle and fall apart when touched.

PC180178 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I have 15 year old Mohawk bags, some that live in boats stored outside, and never seen anything like that. I will email NRS and see how they respond.

Meanwhile the bags themselves are in pristine condition. Does anyone know of a source for just inflation tubes and valves?

Or just the twist end valves, the tube has an interior diameter of one half inch and I probably have Tygon tubing that size.

You can buy replacement Roberts valves that go on the end of the filler stems. Unfortunately, I have never found a source for replacement of the entire filler valve. I know that Nantahala Outdoor Center, which maintained a sizable fleet of whitewater canoes back in the day, had an individual that outfitted and maintained all the boats. Whenever bags were torn or punctured beyond repair, he would cut out the filler valves along with a surrounding flange of bag material. Those could be used to repair bags with damaged valves. Many moons ago, I asked that individual if he knew of a source for the entire valves and the answer was "no". Nowadays, if I ever have to retire a bag, I cut out the valves.

If the little elbow that the filler tube attaches to is still intact, you may be able to buy the correct size of Tygon clear vinyl tubing at a hardware store to glue onto the elbow, and then glue a new Roberts valve on the end of the tube. NRS does sell replacement Roberts valves:

http://www.nrs.com/product/3875/nrs-float-bag-valve

Failing that or a positive response from NRS, if the bags are expensive, you could consider finding a pair of the smallest, cheapest new or used flotation bags that have filler valves, cut them out, and use them to repair your bags.

Last edited:
You can buy replacement Roberts valves that go on the end of the filler stems. Unfortunately, I have never found a source for replacement of the entire filler valve.

Failing that or a positive response from NRS, if the bags are expensive, you could consider finding a pair of the smallest, cheapest new or used flotation bags that have filler valves, cut them out, and use them to repair your bags.

Pete, thanks, now I know what the valves are called. I also know where to get the valves complete with filler tube.

The bags were these

https://www.nrs.com/product/42092/nrs-canoe-3-d-end-float

I could not have asked for more from NRS Customer Service. I sent an e-mail describing the problem and received a response an hour later instructing me to send the bags back to NRS for replacement.

Since the bags are still sound and only the filler tube and Roberts valve needed replacement that seemed postage unnecessary on both ends. I called NRS Customer Service and suggested that if they simply sent me a couple tubes and valves I could Gflex them on myself.

NRS agreed to that procative resolution, and a few hours later I received another email letting me know the parts had been shipped.

I do not know if NRS commonly sells the tubes and valves, but they might be a source for replacement float bag parts. A few years ago I needed just the lever and screw piece to repair an old Quick and Easy Bracket, and got just those wee replacement parts from NRS.

I have a Pakcanoe 150 that uses the same valves and tubes to inflate the sponsons. I had the exact same problem with the inflation tubes disintegrating. Pakcanoe's only solution for me was to replace the sponsons. It cost me $150. Arghh. I wish I would have contacted NRS.

Float bag valve and tube repair.

Piece of cake. NRS sent me four float bag inflation tubes with Roberts valves already attached. I asked if NRS would send extra in case I screwed up. They sent two extra.

PC260232 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The part that worried me was getting the old glued on tubes off the bags. I do not trust myself with a razor blade slicing old tube remains that close to the float bag, hence the block of wood underneath. Not to worry, the old tubing sliced easily and peeled off cleanly.

PC260235 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The tubing NRS provided is twice the length of the tubing that was originally on the bags, so I cut three of them in half. Three because I found one the Roberts valves that fell off the crumbly original tubing. And there must be another one around here somewhere.

PC260236 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

A little Gflex around the inside of the tubing and tubing slid onto the bag stems. Seriously, seriously easy, as in a few minutes start to finish.

PC270237 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

FWIW the interior diameter of the tubing is seven sixteenths inch. I should have taken the old Roberts valve to the hardware store with me this morning to see if I could find tubing that size.

I mentioned using Gflex when I spoke with NRS Customer Service and they did not recoil in horror. I doubt the tubing is every coming off the bag stems now, so I really hope this replacement tubing has better longevity.

BTW, I had not noticed this on the NRS site before, but Bill Parks, who started NRS in 1972 sold the company in 2014. To its employees. NRS is now 100 percent employee owned.

https://www.nrs.com/

Back