• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Nothing Fancy

Reaction score
Oh what fun they'll have scraping glue ! I hope you plan on helping !

A little tape on the bottom of that stapler, would not only make it easier to pull the staples, but they wouldn't have to sand as deep to remove the scares !

Still it will float, and bring a joy to the heart, when paddled !

The Family that Strips together, Stays together ! :D

Jim

Last edited:
Oh what fun they'll have scraping glue ! I hope you plan on helping !

A little tape on the bottom of that stapler, would not only made it easier to pull the staples, but they wouldn't have to sand as deep to remove the scares !

Still it will float, and bring a joy to the heart, when paddled !

The Family that Strips together, Stays together ! :D

Jim

He's been helping build and glass since he was six years old...it took them (Josh and GF) a bit to home in on the right amount of glue.
Plenty of wood to work with, so the "scares" shouldn't be a problem. This is his first time calling ALL the shots, I'm just an adjunct advisor!

They will enjoy the build ! I have found with my own sons, they learn better by making mistakes, than me telling them how to do stuff !!!

Again they will remember well the experience, with fond memories !

Good on you !

Jim

they learn better by making mistakes, than me telling them how to do stuff !!!

Good on you !

Jim

Ain't that the truth! Looking back i wish I would've learned from what my father told me..instead of making the mistakes, sure would have saved a lot of time!

it will turn out though, no doubt.

thanks for the pics!

Jason

The second link worked .... nice to see a video. They are making great progress.

Gloves may be a good hint for rest of glassing though, epoxy can be nasty through the skin.

Brian

That is a very nice looking hull. Awfully narrow for the bow paddler though.

The second link worked .... nice to see a video. They are making great progress.

Gloves may be a good hint for rest of glassing though, epoxy can be nasty through the skin.

Brian

Glad to hear that the video link is working, the give and take between those two is fun for me to witness.
Josh and I have been glassing since he was 6 years old. Nowadays, we hardly get any resin on us...all a matter of keeping clean tools clean and not rushing.
They, Josh and GF, have to move along quickly. My house is sold, and MDB and I need to get out by late January. So they need to get the hull completed enough to transport it out of the boat shop by then!! He plans to finish it in his basement. Even gonna move my bandsaw, big belt/disk sander and dust collector to the basement too, so they can make/fit the decks and bulkheads. The discussion at our weekly family dinner tonight raised the possibility of him storing the hull in my 48 ft trailer (bought just for the move) until he cleans out his basement. That's OK with us, as long as we have enough room to fit all of our worldly possessions in that trailer.

That is a very nice looking hull. Awfully narrow for the bow paddler though.

It is a skinny hull...that's the 17 footer that I designed back in 1984, it's been built 5 times now. Everyone that paddles that hull ( as long as they have some experience) comments on what a great combination it is WRT speed, seaworthiness, maneuverability, and tracking. I usually have a bow deck that's 24" long, and the bow seat is set back to allow for some leg room. But the bow station is not good for six footers. Luckily, GF is like 5'1" and very slender. She'll tuck right in there.
Josh wants this build to be strong, so he chose to use 1-1/2 layers of 6 oz inside and out. Probably gonna end up around 45 lbs, as long as he doesn't use any hardwood for the trim.

17 ft. Stripper, with a 1 1/2 layer of 6 oz glass inside and out, at 45# ? That's pretty light !

I love how a seal coat transforms the looks of a hull ! Your son's looks great !

Jim

They are moving right along with that build, I guess motivation is a powerful tool.

If you make that 45# mark, I will be asking a lot of questions on how to get that light on a 17 footer ... even being careful, my last 17' came in at 51#s

Brian

Thanks, Jim.
We glassed it tonight, the two of us and MDB helped too! When we were just about done with the wet out, Josh's GF came by after her equestrian thingie. She did the stem strips like she had been doing it all her life! Funny how his viewpoint keeps changing. He started out at just needing a tandem, to building quickly (a necessity), to "it's nothing fancy" to "I think it's one of the prettiest ones yet".
As for the weight, it's a guess, really. My original build with 1-1/2 layers of 4 oz was 37 lbs, SYP trim. I built one as a raffled donation (and tax deduction) with the same laminate schedule and all mahogany trim, it weighed 39 lbs. My nephew built the hull a few years ago with 6 oz single layer in and out with robust mahogany trim, it was 42 lbs. We'll see how this one ends up.

A covering coat on Wednesday...skiing tomorrow with a winter storm warning!!
I'll have some more photos and some linked videos tomorrow night too.

I'll get some photos later today...
Off the forms yesterday with excess wood and glass at the sheer line.

28.5 lbs!

It doesn't need much sanding inside, but could use some extra sanding to cut down on the weight.

Is that a little strip of dynel up towards the ends?

Yup, both ends have some Dynel in the high wear areas.My son says he can't wait to start scratching up the bottom of the hull!

As promised, here a few photos from minutes ago. The photos make it look a little chunky...as they say, the camera adds 10 lbs!!
Seriously, the hull is a bit sprung out at the gunnels, it'll have a slightly narrower sheer line and a tad more rocker once properly supported.

And a benchmark from my last time building this hull (1-1/2 layers in and out 4 oz cloth)

30 lbs off the forms
31 lbs after sanding and glassing (wet out only, NO additional resin)
34 lbs with decks and bulkheads glassed in
40 lbs fully trimmed out and finished

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

And a benchmark from my last time building this hull (1-1/2 layers in and out 4 oz

4 oz cloth makes sense, in your layup. Having 16 oz, total for the bottom should be plenty.
I wonder if there is a chart, that estimates the amount of resin used, between a single layer of 4 and 6 oz cloth ?

Jim

I'm not seeing any pictures from your last post SG, just gibberish. I thought I'd be using 4oz in and out on my next build to save weight. What wood species and dimensions are you using for trim on your 40 lb. boat described above? Any flexing in the center? What about 1-1/2 layers of 4 oz on the outside and single layer 4 oz inside? Not enough glass? Probably enough for a solo but maybe not for a 35" wide tandem.

Mark

Back