• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Nothing Fancy

Nealy done now, here's how it looked last night. Short thwarts, seat cleats, seat frames, gunnels all done, some with first few coats of linseed oil finish. Just center/carry thwart and seat webbing left to go...He'll do the last coat of resin on the decks and sand and varnish the hull after the first trip. He says he's really enjoyed the build, especially making all the decisions about materials, trim designs, finishes...And he already knows the hull performance, so he's (and GF is too) anxious to get on the water with it!!

View attachment 5l4LHMDnUqBXy6SgXbwzjoHz1f99uuKkJEPtFywcudEZLSzDweW5hfhk1bRCTI1Hzb7xDtBIVIFHcrM3lV3bZhAjeaG7-UJLpM03

View attachment 2jugdQIb1qGg-wD5KGUNz-uLCUyymZAi23C2xwJ6lg_AozksJLCbEBb4ny3LmjVWPdC3Z6DI4oaBrurmBhposiLPyNLPfhDr4Uzb

Curious here, are the gunwales one piece with a slot mitered (?) to fit over the lip of the hull? Also wondering the dimensions of them, in the pics they look pretty beefy, nothing wrong with that as I tend to mill new gunwales for my hulls a bit on the beefy side.

Gunnels are one piece mahogany, 1-1/16 wide x 1-1/8 height. Slotted leaving 1/4" above sheer line, epoxied in place.
Yes, they're beefy, that's what he wanted. He likes a thicker gunnel, especially while carrying, says he likes to be able to comfortably grip them.
All done weight is 45 lbs, a bit on the heavy side for sure, that hull has been as light as 37 lbs in previous builds.
He wanted a very sturdy boat...layer and a half of 6 oz inside and out, with 7/32" strips. He can walk in the hull when most of it is unsupported, probably could have paddled it without gunnels or thwarts!!

Looks great in the water, well done all the way around.

I really like the length of the bow deck plate, hard to tell in the pic if the back is the same. Beautiful build!

Thanks, guys...he's pretty happy with it but for the weight. Probably will make different thwarts at a later date. He's particularly satisfied with the seats, very comfortable.

And yes, both decks are about 24" long

View attachment o0k24DYh82J-4-Aj_YrT1nuyutMzRj5prD8REwCotPUB0sdZU5v5cBdhkGp1lYRQpEcPCPxkkxz3PHX6wxRPMZ3oJiAXvUgo4TAd

That is pretty nice with the large tanks and well defined cockpit. Unique. And at 45 lbs not a hog at all. Even I could lug that around all day. Good job and looks great on the water.

Christy

I've been looking hard at webbing for seats, and like it ! They are comfortable !

Also nice job ! Great to see it put to use !

Jim

Back