• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Not a recipe for most tastes, but...

Reaction score
No one else would probably want to do this, but just for the record, here is the dinner I am having most nights of a two week trip. This is a bland dinner. But I wanted something that is easy, easy, easy and does not use much fuel, and that doesn't cost so much.

Packed into a pint ziplock, it consists of one packet of chicken ramen noodles, a flavor packet from a second package of ramen noodles (minus the noodles), 1/2 cup of textured vegetable protein and 1 tablespoon of moringa powder. Boil 2 cups of water. Toss in the ramen noodles and TVP and simmer for three minutes, toss in flavor packets and moringa. Eat.

Total packing weight is 4 ounces per dinner. 24 grams of protein. 31 grams of carbs. And about 400 calories. You can increase the calories by adding olive oil or some other fat. Total cost for one meal is under $2. (You can buy way more moringa powder on amazon.com than you will ever need for $10. )

Mountain House Chicken Fried Rice (just as an example because it is on hand) packing weight for one serving is about four ounces (1/2 of the two serving pack). Protein is 14 grams. Carbs 45. Calories 360. Cost $5 per serving depending on where you buy it.

1 TBS of moringa powder added to the dish adds: 1.3 grams protein, 3 grams carbs, 73 mg potassium, vitamin A (15%), calcium (6%) and iron (8%), more or less depending on your source. I am using moringa powder instead of vegetables because all the dried and freeze-dried vegetables taste terrible to me. I also happen to grow moringa. It is a tropical plant, but it grows so fast, it can be grown summers in the north as an annual.

Photos show the pint ziplock with the entire dinner in it.; to the left is the moringa powder. Other photo shows growing moringa leaves.

Erica

Attachments

• photo10116.jpg
    photo10116.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo10117.jpg
    photo10117.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 0
Sounds good and cheap, I've filed these away for next year.

While you are in Canada keep an eye out for Chaga (on Birch Trees). It has just about all the same properties as your Moringa except you can pull a 10 pound conk off a tree for free.

One of my favorite lunches is Top Ramen's Hot & Spicy Beef, cooked like the package says, then adding 4-5 slices of Karfts sharp chedder singles or a equal amount of Velveeta cheese melted into it. Makes a very spicy/cheesy soup that I enjoy, not just on the trail, but at home too. One thing I really like about it is that I can cook it. It is even better on a cold nasty day. For protein I munch down a couple of Landjaeger (Hunter) sausages. Hot black coffee or tea brewed over the lunch fire finishes the meal.

If it's too bland you can add a little dash of this and a little splash of that. I was thinking of chilli flakes, soy sauce and maybe fish sauce to "Asian it up". A sprinkle of finely chopped green onion for some subtle green zing. (one should keep well on a trip). But I like bland too. It's good to see there's scrambled egg in the chicken rice (I think). I was going to suggest adding that too.
I hear ya on the freeze dried pea bb's and other unrecognizable veg bits in there. Never heard of moringa, thanks for that. We also slip in TVP to up our protein for some of our meals. That stuff needs flavour added in any form. Powdered spices are easy to carry in the kitchen kit and add a punch of flavour but I'm not always in the mood for that. Simple is good. We dehydrate our own chicken and love Basmati rice, but I'm not sure if our route is any cheaper than an off the shelf package.
Good luck with the trip planning, and the trip itself of course. Sounds like you've easily got it covered. I'd be glad to eat at your fire.

I'm a fan of Ramen noodles. I usually add a couple eggs, which I leave whole until they poach, and then I bust the yokes when the broth is almost gone, for some real rich last few bites. I also add a slice or two of cheese to make it creamy.

I also throw a couple packs of Ramen in the food pack for emergency food since they are so light.

Sweeper...good idea to look out for Chaga. I had sort of put them to the back of my mind because birches don't grow where I live. (I miss them!). I will review information before I go.

You all who like ramen noodles with cheese, that is what Brad likes too, just for eating here at home.

Regarding eggs, I am carrying something called "egg crystals" that I try adding to the ramen dinner, and possibly scramble for an alternative breakfast to the granola. Lowangle al, I like the idea of how you cook the eggs in the noodle broth. I may try that with fresh eggs. I'm not carrying any fresh food on this trip.

I almost didn't post this because I thought no one would be interested, but I am glad to get the comments and ideas.

Erica

for easy carbs this is my hands down favorite, especially the brown, but there's at least a half dz different blends, long grain, wild, jasmine, red beans, etc etc.

https://www.unclebens.com/rice-products/ready-rice/whole-grain-brown

Squeeze the package into a 650ml cup, add a couple tbsp of water and a splash of olive or coconut oil and heat it up for a few minutes. ezpz.

Jazz it up by dumping some canned veggies in too. If you want to get fancy cook up some meat in a fry pan and stir in the rice. Either way it makes a very hearty meal.

Very durable packaging and long shelf life. About $2 a package.

I did a quick look up on chaga. It is a parasitic fungus on birch. It is primarily used as a medicinal, not as food. Moringa is an extremely nutritious plant used in a variety of ways as a vegetable. I will still keep an eye out for chaga. Heaven knows I saw plenty of it "up north."

Instant brown rice is another very easy base for a meal. Also couscous. Maybe I will try those next year.

I haven't harvested any chaga but from what I've read I think you have to get it before the sap starts running.

As for the ramen soup, I'm surprised more people don't take it tripping. You can also make it as just noodles for a side dish. I think you just drain off the water and add a half packet of seasoning. This leaves a half packet to add to and increase the volume your next soup meal.

lol, ramen noodles are very sensible and practical for camping, but for me its more psychological. Ramen reminds me of leaner times in my formative years. I've worked very hard for decades to move up the food chain a bit. Its like drinking Early Times vs 10yr old Russell's Reserve.

I am using moringa powder instead of vegetables because all the dried and freeze-dried vegetables taste terrible to me.

Is that for store bought or stuff that you've dried? I've ate many many pounds of dehydrated vegetables that I've done myself and honestly can't tell much, if any, difference. I just buy bags of frozen mixed veggies at the store (peas, carrots, corn, and green beans) and dump them in the dehydrator. I do about 8 pounds at a time.

My go-to meal when tripping is two handfuls of quinoa, two handfuls of dried vegetables, and 3/4 handful of dehydrated red or black beans. Dump it all in the pot with water, bring to a hard boil, pull off the fire and wrap pot with insulated covers, and let it sit for 15-20 minutes while I do camp chores or relax. Add a healthy dose of olive oil and some salt just before eating.

I might try switching to lentils because they cook so fast out of the bag. Would be nice to skip cooking and dehydrating red and black beans before the trip.

Never heard of Moringa powder. Will have to look into that. Thanks for sharing.

Alan

Alan, I have not tried to dehydrate my own vegetables. So what I have tried is purchased already dried and/or freeze-dried. I will try the mixed vegetable dehydration next year. Sounds like a possibility. How long does it take to rehydrate and cook? I like the idea of your go-to meal, but how much does it weigh and how much protein? I would would be tempted to add some TVP to up the protein. Not necessary for everyone, but I am leveraging an older, worn out body that does way better with high protein. Weight doesn't matter much for stronger people I know, but I am to the point I am shaving ounces.Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for all the input. All very interesting perspectives.

Erica

I can't remember weight exactly off the top of my head but including the oil it was under 6oz. per meal. Once cooked it made a pretty large meal. I don't remember protein content off the top of my head but this is what I ate for dinner pretty much every day on 30-40 day solo trips where I was working hard. Oatmeal, bannock (with oil), almonds, and peanut M&Ms made up the bulk of the remaining food.

It would take 5-7 minutes to bring it to a boil and then I'd let it sit for 15-20 minutes to rehydrate (wrapped in pot cozy) while I finished setting up camp or relaxed. It was still hot enough after that time to burn my mouth if I wasn't careful.

Ok, just did a quick protein check and I come up with about 13.5 ounces of protein if I remembered my weights correctly. There's also a good amount of fat, which is something I was really looking for on those trips.

EDIT* Those protein numbers are off. They should be higher. I just realized I was looking at protein numbers for cooked quinoa and beans but I was using the dry weights. So probably triple the protein content of those two items. I'd guess 20+ grams would be more accurate.

I just did a quick calorie check too and came up with about 620. Again there was some difficulty/confusion trying to convert try to cooked but I think this is about right.

Alan

Last edited:
Erica, thanks for posting. After kamut, moringa is yet another ingredient I never heard of that I will seek to utilize.

But ramen? Given that, for health reasons, I avoid saturated fats, I avoid ramen. I was shocked to read the protein value or your dish, since ramen is fairly low in protein. I guess the TVP really does pack the protein. TVP is another ingredient I never knew about. I couldn't find ground soy bean for the granola recipe, noticed TVP in the bulk section, and substituted the TVP. I tweaked a couple other ingredients, too, to reduce the sat fat. Sorry for digressing to the other thread.

If you don't have one already, you really need a dehydrater. Among the things you can dehydrate are your own noodle dishes. Cook it up at home, adding TVP, veggies, or whatever ingredients you like, than pile it into the dehydrator. I hear some use parchment, but I just line the tray with foil, lightly oil, and then spread the noodle dish onto the trays in a layer about half an inch deep. Dehydrate per instructions and then scrape it off into zip lock bags. The only downside is that the noodles can be hard and sharp so that they sometimes puncture the bag.

In the weeks prior to your trip, you can just bulk up some of the recipes you normally cook for dinner, then dehydrate the leftovers. The only thing you might need to change from a "normal" recipe is to slice veggies to a smaller size that will quickly rehydrate. I store my dehydrated meals in the refrigerator (I don't think it is really necessary) and have used meals 18-months later, so you can do this well prior to your trip, at your leisure. It's trip prep with very little extra effort.

Thanks again for posting and introducing me to new ingredients.

Thanks for the tips, Chip.

I do have a dehydrator and will be taking home grown and dried pineapple and mango slices. But I have not had much success dehydrating regular meals (stews, spaghetti). They seem to take too long to cook and never really get fully hydrated. I am probably doing something wrong. Because I am looking for convenience and quick cooking (3 minutes or less), the ramen noodles work well. The other starch that requires little cooking is couscous. But ramen comes with its own flavor packet which does not have MSG in it. All the broth cubes I have found have MSG in them. I have nothing against MSG, except that once I had a reaction to it and don't really want a repeat in the back country.

The ground soybeans are available from amazon.com. I have no idea how TVP would work in granola. Let us know!

The data on saturated fat is mixed and recommendations have changed over the years and also it depends on personal health issues. Coconut is a saturated fat too. For my health, reducing carbs and increasing protein is more important that reducing sat fats, so that is what I go with. It is all up to the individual to "cut and paste" as it were in these recipes.

Swapped to doing my own dehydrated meals many years ago, I find most of the prepackaged meals (i.e. Mountainhouse) are good as a backup, but the high sodium really takes it's toll after a few days (at least for me).

If you are looking for fast or trying to rush hydrating the meal, it will almost always disappoint. As Alan pointed out, the easiest way to handle the time required to hydrate is just building it into the camp routine. Pouring the meal into a cook pot and adding water , then going off to do chores (or whatever) works well, you can't over hydrate .... after 20 minutes minimum, just boil the meal, let sit in a "Tea Cozy" or equivalent for 15 minutes or so and you have a meal with ingredients you know ....

I found starting the meal about 45 minutes before I intend to eat is a good window, the actual time to prepare the meal is minimal, maybe 5 minutes, the rest of the time it is just sitting there.

There are a few things to learn, but basically there aren't too many things you can't prepare this way, sometimes you do need to get creative with substitutes ....

Brian

Ramen.. quick and tasty..with rehydrated mixed vegetables and shrimp.. ( available dehydrated at Asian markets. I have had no luck doing my own). Or canned is acceptable if you can carry cans.

I also like tortellini with smoked clams. Those can be done at home or available in a tin

Back