• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Noob question....

G

Hello first time post here, I'm thinking about getting a 16' 5" field and stream canoe, would i be able to control that size canoe by myself. Although I am a rookie at this, it's not my first time. Thanks for the help.

I'm not familiar with a "Field and Stream" canoe. If we're talking about a real sure enough canoe; pointy at both ends and no more than 36" wide, I can't see why you couldn't handle it. You might want to look at some of the trip reports here and note the canoes; that will give you some idea of where most of the folks found here are coming from.
My advice for what's it's worth (not much) GET A NEW, TOP QUALITY LIFE VEST, WEAR IT! Yeah, I know you don't even have a canoe yet; I'm trying to stress how important it is to wear one while canoeing especially while you're learning. 'Most everyone regards it as a downer to drown while learning.

There may be canoeing classes where you are; many here think they are a good way to start. I learn best from books, so I got some basic books from Amazon that showed the strokes and general info on solo paddling. Read the reviews and buy them used.

You might want to hold off on any purchase until you get a little more exprerience, maybe near you there is someone who rents canoes?

Best Wishes, Rob

Thanks for the reply rob... Ill definitely look into a lot of those things, and take some measurements...

A 25 watt light bulb Idea!!!

A 25 watt light bulb Idea!!!

Robin, it sure seems that your efforts at keeping the site going are attracting even more interested people as well! I'm wondering if, considering that many of these folks are new to the sport of canoeing if a carefully written generic introduction to canoeing couldn't be written and used as a reference to help these new people along? I'm not suggesting a how-to-do-it introduction but rather a where-to-go-to-find-what-i-need kind of thing. If we had such a thing it could be stored under the techniques section and referenced when someone showed up like Firemaninacanoe here. He sounds like a nice guy who clearly could use a little help.
Maybe if you and all the members here who actually know something were to provide your best advice to someone just starting canoeing it could become a valuable "patchwork quilt" of information compiled from a wonderful spectrum of experience.

Does that make any sense?

Rob

It would be good to know what your intended usage is. I glanced at the Field and stream canoes. Very heavy and wide. Looks like it would be good for fishing and hunting if you didn't have to paddle too far. I don't know about loading and unloading by your self. Dave

I checked and found a Field and Stream 16' 6" canoe at Dick's for $500. I didn't get the specs, but it looks pretty wide/heavy. Have you considered a used canoe? I would look in Craigslist and see what's available. You could buy a pretty nice used canoe for $500, lots of folks have. Or, a pretty dirty canoe similar to a Dicks canoe for $150 and clean it up. :)

Those canoes from the big box stores really leave alot to be desired, too wide, too heavy and I really think the hulls are designed for stacking together when shipped rather than performance.

The field and Steam one at dicks is the one I'm looking at. I would be using this for fishing by my self or for day tips with my wife... The specs on this canoe is 16'5" long x 42" wide weighing in at 99lbs... All though these padded seats, build in cooler, rod/cup holders seam nice... I'm thinking this will be to big for my self to handle... I weigh 155 and standing at 5'5"... Its just all the other shorter ones have hard plastic seats that do not look comfortable at all

A 42 inch wide canoe will handle like a barge..because that is what it is. Alone ..it could be a very big handful unless you motorize it. Most tandem canoes come in at less than 36 inches wide.

Dont get misled by the cup holders (you can buy them for three bucks!) and the comfy padding and built in cooler. The cooler itself guarantees difficulty in loading as you have no way to carry this beast solo.

Look on paddling.net or craigslist for used boats. There are plenty of lighter decent craft that can fit a 500 dollar budget.

"The specs on this canoe is 16'5" long x 42" wide weighing in at 99lbs..."

Yellowcanoe is right on, you need a lighter, narrower canoe. Most people find a canoe 1/2 that weight hard to load and at 42" wide, it will be really sluggish and no fun even for fishing.

I agree with the others, Firemaninacanoe. I would maybe start by renting and/or trying canoes out at a local canoe shop. If new is too pricey, you can look for a good used canoe. I bought my used Nova Craft Pal looking on this site:

http://www.paddleswap.com

Also, keep asking questions on canoetripping. I've been canoeing since the 1950s and still learn so much from the folks here.

So I decided on a smaller canoe, an old town saranac 146... Lighter weight, length and width. Upon loading the canoe into my truck bed I noticed a dent in the bottom of the canoe. I asked if they (dicks sporting goods) had another one in the back. They said they did but it had a similar dent. They called another store to see what they had. The lodge manager over there said sometimes heat will put a small dent in the boat but with time in the water it should come out.... I ended up returning it due to an aggravated impulsive wife, after management said I had 99 days to use it and if it still didn't come out to bring it back... Anyways, has anyone heard of this?

Well, congratulations on returning it. With this one I did look it up on the Old Town site. First off you ought not need to repair something new, that's just silly. Second, in my opinion, the thing is a pig: 14' 6" and it weighs 79 pounds??? That center entertainment console looks to be bolted in and I can't imagine how you could roll it up on your shoulders to carry it.
Fireman, you really need to look at real canoes. They are light nimble craft that let you explore and paddle where more clunky water craft are excluded by their brute awkwardness and impossible-to-carry mass.
Look at the photos in the trip reports here; those are canoes. As far as molded seats go, most of us find they are not necessary and some fraction kneel with just the butt resting on a cross thwart, makes for a more stable canoe. Notice when you look at the pictures just about all have a center carrying yoke of some sort. Although carrying our canoes may not be our most favorite thing to do it does allow us to reach otherwise inaccessible places and there is a winnowing out process that results in a better quality of people you meet the further in you go.

There are some deceptively simple seeming tools that evolved during mankind's long history. The ones that come to my mind are the potters wheel, the longbow, and the canoe. When you look at one of them, at first you might think "Shoot, there's nothing to that" . But it's not true. Each requires considerable practice to acquire proficiency. I'm not saying you won't have fun learning but you will need to practice. Our canoes really aren't much in terms of complexity but they will allow a freedom that extends way beyond what their simple seeming looks would promise.

These tubs you've been looking at are painful to contemplate once you've been in a real canoe.

Best Wishes, Rob

oldie moldy said:

"There are some deceptively simple seeming tools that evolved during mankind's long history. The ones that come to my mind are the potters wheel, the longbow, and the canoe. When you look at one of them, at first you might think "Shoot, there's nothing to that" . But it's not true. Each requires considerable practice to acquire proficiency. I'm not saying you won't have fun learning but you will need to practice. Our canoes really aren't much in terms of complexity but they will allow a freedom that extends way beyond what their simple seeming looks would promise."

If I ever figure out how to change the front page introduction, parts of this reply will be in the new one, with OM's permission. Ever so true, an honest reply that will either cause the OP to take up golf or be posting fishing TR's in a canoe that gives him and his wife good times.... I hope the latter.

To be honest, after wasting another 10 minutes of my life deleting the ever increasing "new members who are spammers" this morning, Oldie's post was just what I needed. Thanks Rob, perfect timing.

Fireman, the boats you get at Dicks are stacked in a truck..and if something heavy dents one, it dents them all..I love that fib "time in the water will make it come out". Uh Uh..it won't. They are just trying to make a sale by blustering their way through.

Weight puts dents in boats. If its hot the dent might be bigger, but it's not heat. Now I hope you run from Dicks!

Molded seats are a PITA to fix..they are slippery. Of course they can be useable.. but are you taking a fancy to built in coolers? Buy one separately and put in the canoe. You need the yoke and a 25 lb boat diet more than a cooler.

I love the term "center entertainment console"..

The OT Penobscots are a decent canoe..and even better in Royalex than poly..weight savings.

Cup holder of course.. but its not built in.. http://www.amazon.com/Can-Panion-Drink-Holders-Orange/dp/B001QK80J6

Well Rob, you made my morning.. Your post was better than the Sun paper!

Robin I'm glad I made the cut, oldie those are some very wide words and no it will not turn me to golf. Although I do play I'm not good lol. I do see what you guys are saying and I'm realizing fancy isn't better. I don't need things like built in cooler or dry storage... I would like a comfortable seat but I realizing that's something I can fabricate myself. Please don't think anything you guys are saying is scaring me. I'm new and am willing to take in all info

Also think Grumman.. These poor craft are often maligned but are actually pretty well made and if not the latest fastest design, make beginners feel welcome. They can get too hot and too cold..but most likely you will be wearing clothing so you won't get frostbite and burnt. They are noisy.
But they are usually cheap and last a very long time. I admit to prior to becoming a canoe snoot, we tripped for 20 years in a 15 foot Grumman in Quetico and Algonquin. And three years ago I sold it.

The folks at WCHA were very kind when it mingled at Assembly with their Chestnuts etc. The buyer became enamored of wooden boats too.

If you wish to paddle a tandem boat solo do not buy a boat with molded in seats. It is usually best to sit in the bow seat backwards. Cant do this with molded seats. Also molded in ice box can cause it to be very hard to turn over a canoe that has been turned over in the water.

Do not know were you live. Check with canoe builders in your area you may be able to buy a second. If you live around Nashville try the two companies that bought out the Mohawk brand. Try Craigslist.org for used. I second the Grumman, Alumacraft or other aluminum canoes if you are going into rocky flat water.

Sorry for my ignorance, to paddle a 2 seated solo you sit in the front seat and paddle the boat backwards?

Back