• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Noob question....

The Coleman canoe is a piece of dung, get over it. You don't seem to like the answers you're getting.

What's a poor guy to do.. ? It's natural..go to Dick's and see what they have..Ask about it here..then try somewhere else..to WalMart where they have Coleman's. Not his fault that there is no decent paddling store around! Canoe buying should not be so hard, but with so much info on hand and so little opportunity to get a decent canoe in one's area its gotta be discouraging.

Well, maybe we're all looking at this through the wrong end of the telescope; I know most of my life I've learned the hard way, come to think on it why should we want to deprive Fireman all the enjoyment of the full spectrum of experience.
He assures us he's not a paddling virgin and has done a good amount of canoeing in his life, but still not sure he'd recognize drag, tracking or better maneuverability.
In life it's not often that the solution presents it's self so neatly, so symmetrically,...........dash back to Dick's and grab up one of those dandy "Field and Stream" canoes/lawn planters before they are all gone! And let the education begin.

I suspect before fall he'll have a better grasp of drag, tracking and maneuverability. And don't you know, what ever he buys next will be an improvement.

Ah youth, it's a shame they waste it on the young.

Rob

Note to self:

When trolling online canoeing communities just mention thoughts of buying a Coleman or Pelican. :rolleyes:

What's a poor guy to do.. ? ...with so much info on hand and so little opportunity to get a decent canoe in one's area its gotta be discouraging.

That's a fact. We shouldn't be hard on Fireman (I now apologize for the group, Fireman). I think he's just trying to get a grasp on this without feeling like he's being pushed by "elites" to spend more or wait longer than he needs to. It's funny - sometimes I see a glut of good used canoes with some very good prices, and then it can sometimes dry up for months while all I see is Coleman and other bleh. Makes it hard on a fella who just wants to get out and paddle ASAP. I still have to resist the urge to jump on a deal I don't need - due to, I believe, the long waits I sometimes went through to find that "better" canoe. (Something like my folks, who went through the depression, hoarding bits&pieces? :p ) It still drives me crazy when I see someone telling about the BG Northstar or Merlin II they just found on CL for a song.

Hey Fireman - at least you aren't having to find a deal on a used solo canoe...yet!

The object is to get on the water safely and in a craft that can handle the crap that sometimes an outing hands you. Seaworthiness and seakindness does not always correlate with a high price tag.

Part of "getting on the water" means having a boat that you can maneuver on and off the car without a crane or the possibility of getting a hernia. Canoes that come with center yokes allow easier carrying and loading. The rest..well what can you do if you don't have a partner...drag and huff and puff.

I'll go back to preaching Grummans..if you can find one lying around seemingly ignored go find the owner. Flat bottomed, OK in waves, (there are better but they work surprisingly well). Shouldn't run above $500.

I am truly sorry for being rude in post #41. It's just that knowledgeable people have gave you many many reasons to stay away from your first two choices. They offered alternative choices for you to seek out. They speak out of much experience. You did ask our opinion. Peace ,,, Dave

It is kind of like going on to a bike forum and asking if you should buy a Huffy... I believe they sell those at Walmart as well.

Moral of the story, don't buy anything from Walmart. ;)

Hey Fireman - at least you aren't having to find a deal on a used solo canoe...yet!

I was looking for a used solo before I got my brand new Argosy, looked for almost a year and found nothing within the area I was willing to drive. Now I look on craigslist for my area and there are a few for sale for what I would think are good prices.

I did not know much about canoes and there are no canoe shops around to even try anything, I just had to figure what I wanted to do with it, narrowed the list, read lots of reviews and bit the bullet. Personally I am completely happy with the purchase I made, price included. I cant say I have seen anything "good" for the price you folks are saying, most are around $800-$1000. Grumman and other aluminum though do sell for anything from $250 and up.

I was given a Pelican and now can not even give it away. Might just end up at the local thrift shop. Used it a couple of times solo at the local river (dragging, huffing and puffing to get it to the river bank) wishing I had a faster, lighter canoe that I could handle better.

First off, I would think its pretty obvious I'm not a "troll" on this forum. I do appreciate everyone's input on the first 4 pages, and am still looking around for deals. Although its obvious that the attitude towards me and my interest have changed in this thread. So thanks for the input. Goes to show there are aholes on every community forum...

First off, I would think its pretty obvious I'm not a "troll" on this forum. I do appreciate everyone's input on the first 4 pages, and am still looking around for deals. Although its obvious that the attitude towards me and my interest have changed in this thread. So thanks for the input. Goes to show there are aholes on every community forum...

Sorry ..from what I read some apologies were due you and some were given. Maybe one missed.. So who are the multiple holes?

Sorry ..from what I read some apologies were due you and some were given. Maybe one missed.. So who are the multiple holes?
I'm not going to point fingers or name names... It's obvious to anyone who has been reading. The apologies given still seemed sarcastic. It's just sad that a simple canoeing community turned out like this just by trying to get info.

Fireman. I wasn't calling you a troll. I was actually picking on all these other guys for getting so worked about the Colemans.

My joke was, and apparently NO ONE got it, is if I wanted to go troll a canoeing forum I could get everyone all fired up by mentioning thoughts of buying a Coleman.

The comment about the Huffy is what it is... don't expect people who are passionate about canoes to be nice to one that is bottom of the barrel. That was my point.

My joke was, and apparently NO ONE got it, is if I wanted to go troll a canoeing forum I could get everyone all fired up by mentioning thoughts of buying a Coleman.

Oh, I got it alright. Guilty, as charged. ;)

Fireman - take a deep breath and relax. Internet forums are a risky medium for communication. Typing and sending is fast, but doesn't account for intended inflection or body-language and doesn't offer automatic explanations for group jargon. I don't think anyone here was trying to be critical of you - just trying to help in their own way. And poking some fun at ourselves in the process.

Turning your back on this group is throwing away access to a lot of valuable knowledge, gained from years of experience. Everyone here that I am familiar with (and most of us migrated here from other sites where we have interacted a long time) desires nothing less than to see newcomers excited and learning about the sport.

Hopefully no bad blood. I was just being a wise guy.

In fact if you asked me straight up I would recommend buying a David Yost designed boat. I'm not a canoe expert but I love his hulls.

Hopefully no bad blood. I was just being a wise guy.

In fact if you asked me straight up I would recommend buying a David Yost designed boat. I'm not a canoe expert but I love his hulls.

Some of us take this Internet fad stuff too seriously! It sure is one sided medium.. Now who is this DY guy whose initials are on seven of my boats? :)

Now who is this DY guy whose initials are on seven of my boats? :)

I don't know him personally but his designs have changed the way I think about paddling. It turned me from someone who canoed to get from point to point to someone who can't wait to get back in his boat. I actually dream about canoeing now. I never thought that possible a few years ago.

A good boat turns you from a casual user to an addict. The DY boat I own and the ones I've paddled all stood out as being addict boats.

I've not yet tried a John Winters boat but I would like to. I'm afraid if I did I might want to buy one.

DY probably will be at Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous starting tomorrow. Its about 4 hours from Rochester.

Firemaninacanoe, there's a lot of good advice in between the lines here from people, some of whom own a lot more canoes than me and I have 10. There's a lot of experience on this board and sometimes people can have a some pretty strong feelings about their canoes and kit. I know a lot of the members here come from a much more "intense" style of canoeing in multi-day, multi-week back country trips. To them (and me) the canoe is integral to the entire endeavor and not just a platform for other activities such as fishing. If you're primarily looking for a platform to fish from, and your budget is limited, I say get the Field and Stream. I've paddled the Colemans and Pelicans so I know why no one on this board is going to give you a glowing review of these types of boats. The Old Town Camper and similar boats mentioned are good fishing boats, versatile for solo and tandem paddling, and you can build a strong skill set without out growing the usefulness of such a canoe. So if you and your wife are looking for more than a place to sit and fish; if you think you're going to want to throw your canoe on the car and spend a nice evening paddling out to some small island for a looksee (in Florida that would likely be in January or February) consider the previous advice and go for a boat the is at least 16' x 34" wide and preferably 17' long and maybe up to 36" wide. That's a boat you can grow with and you can find one used in your budget. Maybe there's some people on this board that can help you out with transporting the boat and that would allow you to widen your search. I for one live in PA and there are plenty of boats with the dimensions I quoted for sale and well within your budget. Might be a budgetary stretch but there's a Wenonah 17' Kevlar nearby me for $600. If you can figure out how to get it, I'd go get it for you as it looks like an awesome deal. But no offense, I believe you live in Florida and there's no way I would drive down there. I'm doing everything I can short of divorcing my wife to move as far North of the Mason Dixon line as I can. Anyway, stick around Firemaninacanoe, you're welcome here whatever canoe you end up with, and wait until you ask about Paddles,;) Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, but my enter button doesn't work on this site.

Back