• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

NFCT - I'm Home and Off Trail

G

What a great trip! Absolutely the toughest and most rewarding thing that I've ever done! Wow!

I paddled, carried and wheeled a Canoe Called Joe about 420 miles between Old Forge, NY and Rangeley, ME. I pulled off trail, as planned, late last weekend to be back in Indianapolis in time for school to start on Monday. I'm preparing for Meet the Teacher night in just a few hours. Classes begin Monday. It's hard to believe that a little more than a week ago I was suffering along the Carry Road to reach Lower Richardson Lake.

In addition to being ready for class on Monday, I'm moving a daughter to Bowling Green, KY for grad school. I will write a trip report....but not on the next few days. In the meantime I'll check in and would be glad to answer questions.

I'm not sure how or when, but I sure hope I get to paddle the next 300+ miles.

Can't wait to read a trip report! Maine will always be here. The Carry Road I thought was nice but maybe it was too hot?

It was hot and I spent the night before at Cedar Stump. The trail from Cedar Stump to the Carry Road was typical...rough...for about a quarter mile...triple carries. I've no complaints. It was a great challenge and I grew up reading Louise Dickinson Rich's books.

Congratulations on an awesome trip! My advice is to hold off starting until sometime next spring. If you get lucky, you may be one of the few that gets to enjoy the South Branch Dead River, which is a gem. If you get really lucky, you'll also not have too much flow to battle against going up Spencer and Little Spencer stream. And once you get past that, water levels won't matter so much. Looking forward to your trip report!

-Chuck Horbert

Congratulations. Geoff. I missed this post for some reason but have been checking your SPOT page and knew you had stopped. I was worried something had happened but I see you are OK. We looked for you on the CT River but you were still in VT headed south when we passed the Nulhegan. Glad you had a great trip.
Dave

Dave - Sorry I missed you. I was looking for you! Flying down the Connecticut was a joy after all that upstream work. I can't wait to get out again. Geoff

Back