• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

New tent!

Reaction score
I was able to try out my new Kodiak two man tent this weekend on Forked lake. Very impressed. It is extremely well made and comfortable. We had a hard, consitent rain Sunday morning from 3am to 11am. Staying hunkered down in this tent was a breeze. This is also small enough to fit in my Dukuth Monarh 4 pack making it a great option for canoe camping. My last canvas tent was a 40 year old Coleman. The Kodiak is a vast improvement.

Attachments

• 20200801_135551.jpg
    20200801_135551.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200801_204242.jpg
    20200801_204242.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 25
Nice tent, I watched a video about it and liked what I saw, looks like you could bring a cot if you are solo and the price is very good, lots of ventilation too.

I used a twin air mattress and my girlfriend still had enough room. I was also able to find it on sale!

I have a canvas Baker tent set up in the back yard. It is light and airy and nice to see the mountains with the full moon. Lately it has been noisy with all the quail, 3 neighborhood donkeys going off, the horses next door squealing and banging on their feeders. The coyote choir fires up every night and my dog barks and them. Last night a Great Horned owl. Mostly I sleep in the trailer because the bed is really comfortable and it is much quieter.

Yes. I have our sleeping bags and tent in a large Watershed dry bag liner with purge valve. I am able to compress this to an impressive level. The poles fit diagonally, at an angle, in the number 4. I also have a few ultralight chairs and the ground tarp stuffed in there. And of course plenty of room in the side pockets. Still manageable weight wise. It is truly impressive how much gear you can fit in the Duluth packs!

Attachments

• 20200802_134954.jpg
    20200802_134954.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 7
Nothing like sleeping in a canvas tent!! I found a used campfire/baker tent a few years back and it is my favorite tent! But a bit heavy and bulky for some trips!

Attachments

• BD3B1A5E-51B9-4D74-9260-193769EF2AAF.jpeg
    BD3B1A5E-51B9-4D74-9260-193769EF2AAF.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 5
  • photo16516.jpg
    photo16516.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 5
That's a nice tent Sdrew, but since you can't have too many tents I think you'd like one of those campfire tents too. The poles are short and it packs down to a small duffle that fits easily in a Duluth pack, mine weighs a little over 25 lbs when I only take the three main poles and it very versatile in different situations. Best of all though is that when you're at your campsite you'll be admiring it almost as much as one of your W/C canoes.

I was looking at these the other day. I'm starting to go down the traditional gear rabbit hole. When the ice broke back in March I had composite boats ,paddles and nylon tents. What a difference a few months makes.

This all started last winter when I swapped out all of my Goretex and goosedown gear with wool. Weatherwool and Filson are now my go to cold weather gear.

I thought you might be interested in one. Make sure you check out Ric Driediger at Churchill Canoe Guides, he made Bill Masons tents and his are much lighter than the ones offered by Duluth Pack or Frost River.

I am also a traditional gear fan but I haven't been on a trip with a W/C boat yet. I'm hoping to change that this fall.

Those are impressive tents for sure! I also stumbled across Frost Rivers' version. I did not know they made tents as well. Worth a look.

I thought you might be interested in one. Make sure you check out Ric Driediger at Churchill Canoe Guides, he made Bill Masons tents and his are much lighter than the ones offered by Duluth Pack or Frost River.

I am also a traditional gear fan but I haven't been on a trip with a W/C boat yet. I'm hoping to change that this fall.

Mine is from CRCO but an older model so not made of the newer fancier Swiss fabric, it is a fantastic tent for sure!!

one day I will have a wood canvas canoe too!! Just waiting to find the right ay the right price!!

CC Filson since 1892. I wear em. My Dad wore em and my grandfather wore em.
Working in SE Alaska with 150 inches of rain it was the only thing that allowed any comfort at all.

Last edited:
I’ve owned lots of Filson and I really don’t think it is as good as it use to be. And the service is far from being what it use to be also!!

Check out Weatherwool.It's Impressive gear. I purchased their Anorak last November and wore it everyday until the weather broke in April.

Their stuff looks pretty nice but I'm all stocked up on wool. I do have an army surplus cotton anorak that I bought for skiing but is a great cold weather shell for paddling that I wear over my PFD.

I was just looking at the Kodiak tents. The 2 man 6 x 8.5 is compact and would be best for canoe trips. I am tempted by the 8 x 9 for truck camping. Last fall we were in an unusual heavy downpour in the Sierras that lasted for 15 hours. The old Cabela's large dome tent has poor door design. Plenty of water got in the tent. I was glad to be sleeping on a cot. Time for a step up.

Back