• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

New Solo Canoe from Clipper Canoes

Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum.

I'd like to introduce the Caribou S, a new solo canoe by Clipper Canoes. I designed the canoe and I would be happy to answer questions about the boat.

The Caribou S started life as the Peach, here in Calgary Alberta. It's a solo canoe that is made for the larger paddler. It's an all-round solo wilderness tripper that slightly favours the river. It's a very steady, sturdy load-carrier with full ends; it paddles easily with good speed. The Caribou S is a delight to paddle empty in swift home waters or at a quiet wilderness campsite.

You can view the Caribous S solo canoe on the Clipper Canoes website. My name is Lloyd.

http://www.clippercanoes.com/caribou-s/

If you go to the site link it gives full specs and pricing info. Basically a $2200 boat. Not bad. You could always just email Lloyd and ask him...lol

Is this the same "Peach" design that Jim Dodd has been building for the past century?

Curious as to why the Ultralight version is only 2 pounds lighter than the Kevlar. Not much weight savings there, mind you it is only $150 more for that.

My bad, head is in a fog still.

I think we all feel that way after the knife drawing. Kind of like waking up from a hangover and groaning as, bit by bit, we remember what went on during the party and thinking, "oh God, did I really do that?"

Alan

This is my first post on this forum.

I'd like to introduce the Caribou S, a new solo canoe by Clipper Canoes. I designed the canoe and I would be happy to answer questions about the boat.

It's a solo canoe that is made for the larger paddler. It's an all-round solo wilderness tripper that slightly favours the river. It's a very steady, sturdy load-carrier with full ends; it paddles easily with good speed.

You can view the Caribous S solo canoe on the Clipper Canoes website.

http://www.clippercanoes.com/caribou-s/

Lloyd, I like the specs. We (I) need more big boy solos on the market.

The specs are very similar to the Wenonah Wilderness but a bit deeper in the stems (20” vs 17/19) with a bit more rocker (2” vs 1.25), both of which should be improvements for a solo wilderness tripper.

We don’t see many Clippers here on the east coast, but every one I have come across has been a high quality build. And I do appreciate the factory options available from Clipper; seats, spray skirts and lash systems.

I’m curious about the foam thigh pad option. Any chance you have a photo of that option.

Say hi to Marlin for me.

Waterline weights include the weight of the canoe. The following numbers were measured on a 40 lb Caribou S; to determine the payload at a given waterline, deduct 40 lbs.

Max payload is always a difficult subject, and it depends upon conditions. It's fun to load up a canoe when you're close to shore on a sunny day, but tripping on cold moving water in the fall is a different story. I'm comfortable at the 4" waterline on this boat, and that yields a large payload (my weight at 180 lbs plus 135 lbs of gear). My standard kit for a week-long trip, though, is 75 lbs.

3" WL 245 lbs; 4" WL 355 lbs; 5" WL 475 lbs. Weight to immerse beyond 4" WL is 120 lbs per inch to the max width which is the 6" WL.

Yes, the Caribou S has similarities to the Wenonah Wilderness in overall scope, but the Caribou S is symmetrical, has more rocker, more tumblehome, is an inch wider, and has fuller ends.

The thigh pads offered by Clipper are for sitting with knees locked to (or under) the gunwales, a comfortable and stable position. They may be used with or without a foot rest. Personally I don't use them because I don't paddle that way. I use a full-size neoprene-covered foam kneeling pad (32" x 52"). My seat is fairly high and sloped an inch in front. I can move freely between having both feet under the seat with knees wide (down and dirty) for max stability; one foot forward on the foot rest and the other under the seat; or both feet forward on the foot rest in sit-and-switch. I like to move around a lot in the boat to stretch muscles, rest my lower back, and keep limbs from falling asleep.

Last edited:
Yes Robin, that is what it means...a US distributor should pick these up.

Yes Robin, that is what it means...a US distributor should pick these up.

I recall that there are a couple of Clipper Dealers in eastern Canada, but none in the eastern US. Are there any Clipper dealers in the US?

http://www.clippercanoes.com/find-a-dealer/

I’ve seen a total of three Clippers on the east coast, a Mariner, a Sea-1 and a Prospector 14, the latter two being boats I had shipped here. The 3000 mile shipping from Abbotsford to the east coast in probably why.

If I ever find myself in British Columbia with empty rack space I’d be tempted.

So why can't someone on the east coast build a $1500 46lb kevlar canoe? If I was looking, and I might be looking somewhere down the road, I would pay $1500 for that hull without trim and I'd set it up with my own cherry gunnels with a seat and thwart where I want it. Nice canoe and pleasantly affordable.

Just 3000 miles away.

So why can't someone on the east coast build a $1500 46lb kevlar canoe? If I was looking, and I might be looking somewhere down the road, I would pay $1500 for that hull without trim and I'd set it up with my own cherry gunnels with a seat and thwart where I want it.

Good question.

If a new Hemlock Eaglet is $2800 or a Placid RapidFire 3K how much of that cost is contained in the materials and labor for gunwales, seat, thwarts, deck plates and etc?

On the other hand how much profit would be left if selling a naked hull, even if a manufacturer was willing to let go naked hulls for DIY outfitting. Would a boutique manufacturer even want a bunch of DIY outfitted boats floating around sporting their build badge?

Getting a floppy naked composite hull home for DIY outfitting could be an issue too.

Back