• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

New paddling partner

Reaction score
Got us a new puppy today, hoping to turn her into a tripper. She's an Irish Terrier and her name is Clíodhna, she's gonna be a lot of work for a while, but she's sweet.

Cliodhna%2B%283%2Bof%2B3%29.jpg

I couldn't see the pix in the wannigan/grub box thread earlier today but can now, but I didn't do anything to fix it, fixed itself I guess.

Same here, can see some picture in the wannigan/grub box, but not all of them and can't see the dog....

I can see the pup and I read and saw all the wannigan pics earlier today... but there is work being done off and on and that might have been the reason.

Hey Red, looks like a sweet pup good luck with the training, looking forward to reading about her exploits. In my mind she's the lucky one who will have an interesting outdoor life, enjoy!

She's a sweetie alright. I like the name. Although still a little princess, she'll soon grow up to be a queen.
Congratulations Red.

Nice dog Red. Terriers are fierce, even the small ones and take to the outdoors. I can't imagine paddling without a dog or two.

Last summer I took my Border Collie Ruby Begonia on her first canoe trip for a week. She was 7 months old at the time. It took a couple of day trips to get her used to canoes. It helped a lot to call her, tell her to "get in the truck" which was a familiar command, and then give her several biscuits while in the boat. After about a half an hour, being in a canoe was her favorite place.

That's a great looking dog, Red. Looks like a nice breed and a great size for a canoe dog. I'm sure you'll have many enjoyable paddles together.

Alan

No Title

"get in the truck" .

That's what we say, too.
Your dog is lovely. Be careful, red... when our pup, Shiloh, was 2 she seemed to be asleep while we were paddling, and all of a sudden she leapt up and tipped us over. That will be the first and last time........ Yours looks just right- how big will she be? We put a towel on the bottom of the boat so she won't slip around.

Attachments

• photo1937.jpg
    photo1937.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
That is a gorgeous dog - congrats!
Thank you very much.

Ok, can see the pics now! She looks like a feisty one!
Feisty indeed!

She's a sweetie alright. I like the name. Although still a little princess, she'll soon grow up to be a queen.
Congratulations Red.
Thanks, she'll be treated like a queen for sure.

Enjoy your new paddling companion. Looks like a winner!

Until next time...be well.

snapper
Only had her 24 hours and she's already a great joy.

Nice dog Red. Terriers are fierce, even the small ones and take to the outdoors. I can't imagine paddling without a dog or two.

Last summer I took my Border Collie Ruby Begonia on her first canoe trip for a week. She was 7 months old at the time. It took a couple of day trips to get her used to canoes. It helped a lot to call her, tell her to "get in the truck" which was a familiar command, and then give her several biscuits while in the boat. After about a half an hour, being in a canoe was her favorite place.
Thank you. The lake just opened 100% yesterday so hopefully she'll be up for a short ride real soon. We have some friends who take their dog paddling and she does really well, just have to save room for them to get comfortable.

It took months to earn this dog's trust. His owner (and internationally-known breeder judge) swore he'd never get into a boat. Turned out he enjoyed canoe rides.
That's a good idea, might have to give it a "dry run" on land before we head down to the lake for sea trials.

That's a great looking dog, Red. Looks like a nice breed and a great size for a canoe dog. I'm sure you'll have many enjoyable paddles together.

Alan
Thanks, there were a lot of factors that went into choosing a breed, something that was "canoe friendly" was high on the list. I just hope she'll enjoy it.

That's what we say, too.
Your dog is lovely. Be careful, red... when our pup, Shiloh, was 2 she seemed to be asleep while we were paddling, and all of a sudden she leapt up and tipped us over. That will be the first and last time........ Yours looks just right- how big will she be? We put a towel on the bottom of the boat so she won't slip around.
She'll be around knee high and 25-30 pounds. Large enough to be a sturdy dog, and small enough not to need her own boat.

I like Philtrum"s post. Never say never. There is a lot involved sometimes in earning an animal's trust. Hard to get and easy to lose. Animals make humans more honest. Training mules is difficult because of this issue. They are smart and have long memories, but working with them has made working with dogs and humans a lot easier for me.

I have never had a dog come close to capsizing a canoe. I have had unruly kids do it by jumping off the gunwales when entering the water. Some of my dogs like to point fish, especially salmon. They enjoy watching waterfowl and other river birds. Hunting dogs can get pretty wild in a canoe. Some of them need to run along shore for awhile to take the edge off.

I just got a puppy in January and I have great hopes that she will be a good canoe companion. I have taken a dog on one canoe trip (one of my kids dogs) and everything went well. I'm not sure if there are any tricks to training a new pup. Red if you have any tips along the way, please pass them on.

I just got a puppy in January and I have great hopes that she will be a good canoe companion. I have taken a dog on one canoe trip (one of my kids dogs) and everything went well. I'm not sure if there are any tricks to training a new pup. Red if you have any tips along the way, please pass them on.
This is my first dog, so at the moment I've got no tips, but if I stumble onto something that works I'll pass it on. Good luck with your new partner as well.

Canoe dogs need to learn to be comfortable in boats and be good with verbal commands. Get them tired and they tend to shape up. My dogs over the years have enjoyed sleeping in canoes while underway, with intense periods of observing when they are awake. Turn them loose at every opportunity, in the morning, at lunch, at all stops and especially in the evening. Improve their swimming ability. We award our dogs with three swimming level designations. First they are Muskrats, then Beavers and the best are called Otters. I have one Otter and two Beavers. For cold water and rapids especially, always put your dog in a life vest. There is a handle on the back of most of them which makes them much easier to retrieve. I have had dogs swim class III rapids with no problems after they have gotten their Otter merit badge. A life vest really helps in aerated water.

Back