• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Canoe Makeover

Reaction score
Back in 2021 I called an outfitter in the Adirondacks of New York wondering if they had any used Northstar "Northwind Solos". They said no but they had one brand new one in starlite layup with aluminum trim on order if I was interested. This was during "COVID" and finding a boat was difficult so I put a deposit on it.

Two years later I still cannot get use to the aluminum trim, so I took my boat to Dave Curtis at Hemlock Canoe Works in the western Finger Lakes of New York for a makeover.

Here she is my 2021 Northstar Northwind Solo complete makeover. I had slotted gunnels installed along with wood thwarts and carry handles and walnut decks. And lastly a brand new seat as I've mentioned in the video I did not find the Northstar seat all that comfortable. I'm extremely happy with how this turned out. Originally the boat as delivered with aluminum trim weighed in at 27#, in its current form it weighs in at 29#. Again I could not be happier!

"During the makeover I paddled a Hemlock SRT and really liked that boat and asked Dave if he would consider a trade towards the SRT and he had said yes. All the while I had already ordered a Swift Dragonfly. Long story short I backed out of the trade for the SRT because I missed the NW Solo."

Is the wood trim any heavier? I prefer wood over aluminum or plastic. The wood trim looks really nice on it. Warm looking.
Roy

I don't recall anyone doing this with virtually new and undamaged aluminum gunwales and thwarts. It looks terrific.

Aluminum has the benefits of lighter weight, no rotting and much less maintenance, which can be important for some paddlers (e.g., racers), or for some of the canoes of some paddlers, or for canoes in certain climates. In general, at least to me, the aesthetic look is between something that was crafted by a carpenter versus something assembled by a plumber.

A couple of questions, Joe. Did you buy that carbon blade paddle while at Hemlock? How thick is that kneeling pad and where did you get it or the foam to make it?

I don't recall anyone doing this with virtually new and undamaged aluminum gunwales and thwarts. It looks terrific.

Aluminum has the benefits of lighter weight, no rotting and much less maintenance, which can be important for some paddlers (e.g., racers), or for some of the canoes of some paddlers, or for canoes in certain climates. In general, at least to me, the aesthetic look is between something that was crafted by a carpenter versus something assembled by a plumber.

A couple of questions, Joe. Did you buy that carbon blade paddle while at Hemlock? How thick is that kneeling pad and where did you get it or the foam to make it?
Hi Glenn,

Personally I prefer wood over aluminum but that is just me. I had no choice when buying the boat so I took what I could get. That is a Foxworx 54" Roka that I purchased directly from Foxworx Paddles. That kneeling pad is 1" thick minicell foam from Hemlock Canoe. Dave Curtis cut me a piece back when I bought my Peregrine.

I have a FoxWorx Roka as well and it's my paddle of choice when I'm paddling shallow swift water, where I might hit the bottom occasionally. I got mine from Dave Curtis.

I like scuppered inner gunwales because water (and silt) drains out of the belly of the canoe better when you pick it up and tip it sideways. Don't even need to have those slots running the entire length; scuppers in the mid-section are all that's needed, which is how Dave used to set up his canoes. Not sure why canoe builders don't include them as the norm.

Last edited:
I have a FoxWorx Roka as well and it's my paddle of choice when I'm paddling shallow swift water, where I might hit the bottom occasionally. I got mine as part of a negotiated price for a blemished Kestrel I bought from Dave Curtis.

I like scuppered inner gunwales because water (and silt) drains out of the belly of the canoe better when you pick it up and tip it sideways. Don't even need to have those slots running the entire length; scuppers in the mid-section are all that's needed, which is how Dave used to set up his canoes. Not sure why canoe builders don't include them as the norm.
My Roka is my go to paddle, I even like it better than my ZRE.. I want to get a bent shaft Roka as well. The slotted gunnels arre my fav for which you mention plus it is easy to lash things to as well.

Glen, i haven’t any idea about the mat you’re asking about but “ergo kneel” makes all manner of them from tiny 4x6 inch knee pad types all the way up to 4ft. Wide rolls cut to length. It’s an industry standard, utilized by Turbine overhaul crews around the world.
I use the 18 in. by 36 by 1 in. pad (extreme standing mat) in canoes and in the garden. Never found anything better! Some funky graphics on most of the smaller stuff but the comfort makes that a non issue for me. Here’s a link, showing the range of products. Amazon carries the smaller stuff.

Last edited:
Back