• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

New Old Guy

G

Hi All, I'm also a straggler from solotripping. I'm an old guy who's been solo canoeing since the 60's. I like extended trips of a week or more and I try to take 6 or 7 trips a year. I also try to keep up with the latest gear and techniques. Glad to see there is a forum for people like us to share.

Welcome HogSnapper, hummm...old guy whos been solo canoeing since the 60's....lots of them types here I would guess. 6-7 trips a year sounds like someone else likes to paddle in retirement.

oldcanoeinggeezers.net..!!

Like some other snowbird geezers, I am enroute to FL. People ask what condo I am staying in..I just stare at them and say I am camping and paddling a solo canoe. So far I have been asked twice enroute where I am going kayaking...(so much for what the masses know of what we do). I don't even try to point out its a canoe.

lol, I know what you mean. Once the gray hair kicks in, everything changes in the way people talk to you. At least we get cheap eggs at Denny's.

By the way, I love canoeing Florida. The Peace River has always been a special place for me, but so is the Santa Fe, Suwanee, Withlacoochee, Watermelon Creek, Ichetucknee, St John's.... so many great memories - well except for the Withlacoochee where I almost died of hypothermia. Florida has some awesome canoeing.

Hi and welcome Hog Snapper! Another survivor from solo tripping heard from!! Although just how long this site will provide a refuge for any of us still remains an open question. But still and all, what in life is certain?
So Florida? Hmmm....I always had canoes in my head mixed up with fur trappers paddling to the nearest HBC trading post. Some where in there was Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald singing away. But then I bumped into Yellow Canoe reporting about tripping in Florida, very interesting but not for me. Got to carry your own water for the trip, and me trying to pare down ounces of gear so I look a little less like the Barnum and Baily Circus coming to town. If that wasn't enough you know they got these snakes? Somebody let them loose and they're eating up everything! If I had to canoe there I guess I'd get a sturdy seat belt for my canoe and hope together we presented a package too large to swallow. I hope I get all my important research questions answered before Y.C. gets eaten.
You talk about the changes once the hair becomes grey/white: I was in the bank the other day and a cute little teller was chatting with me in a most engaging manner. I began to feel maybe I wasn't quite so old as I had thought. In the course of our conversation she reached out and gave my hand a squeeze and said "You remind me so much of my grandfather." Ah well... other days and better times gone by.
Best Wishes, Rob

Rob, I had to laugh. I have noticed young women seem to feel more comfortable around me as well. Took me a while to figure it out. We older guys seem safe to be around. Dave

I new I was old when the young lady at McDonald's gave me the "elderly discount" for a coffee, and this was quiet a few years ago!

Hi and welcome Hog Snapper! Another survivor from solo tripping heard from!! Although just how long this site will provide a refuge for any of us still remains an open question. But still and all, what in life is certain?
So Florida? Hmmm....I always had canoes in my head mixed up with fur trappers paddling to the nearest HBC trading post. Some where in there was Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald singing away. But then I bumped into Yellow Canoe reporting about tripping in Florida, very interesting but not for me. Got to carry your own water for the trip, and me trying to pare down ounces of gear so I look a little less like the Barnum and Baily Circus coming to town. If that wasn't enough you know they got these snakes? Somebody let them loose and they're eating up everything! If I had to canoe there I guess I'd get a sturdy seat belt for my canoe and hope together we presented a package too large to swallow. I hope I get all my important research questions answered before Y.C. gets eaten.
You talk about the changes once the hair becomes grey/white: I was in the bank the other day and a cute little teller was chatting with me in a most engaging manner. I began to feel maybe I wasn't quite so old as I had thought. In the course of our conversation she reached out and gave my hand a squeeze and said "You remind me so much of my grandfather." Ah well... other days and better times gone by.
Best Wishes, Rob

I am unpalatable. I have tried at least six times in the Everglades.:)

Back