• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

New canoerw/questions!

I can’t seem to post photo directly to this site, but here are a couple more.

On Photobucket site, you should click on the small picture you want to share, it will become larger with the thumbnails for that alblum below it.

Look to the right, where it says "links to share this photo",

the bottom one has "img"

click on that, it turns yellow and reads "copied"

come back to Canoetripping and hit past in your message where you want it.

Hope this helps, you have some great pictures to share.

Oh memories of the muddy but beautiful Green..(should be named Brown).

What Robin described is how I handled your pics Mike. I would love to be your secretary in the future..but at minus three degrees the boats are loaded to go.

On Photobucket site, you should click on the small picture you want to share, it will become larger with the thumbnails for that alblum below it.

Look to the right, where it says "links to share this photo",

the bottom one has "img"

click on that, it turns yellow and reads "copied"

come back to Canoetripping and hit past in your message where you want it.

Hope this helps, you have some great pictures to share.

Robin, I’m certain those are the exact steps I’ve been following. It works to post photos directly on CCR (usually, with occasional “sizing” error messages), but not for Canoe Tripping. I think the error must be something askew on my computer, but here goes.

To bring this back to the OP’s Penobscot question (and ping Kim’s memories) this is the best shot of the empty Penobscot I can find:

I would love to be your secretary in the future..but at minus three degrees the boats are loaded to go.

It was 0F here this morning, with a foot of fresh snow. I’m having a hard time wrapping my own mind around packing for a Florida trip, even with an unscheduled and hopefully between snow storms departure.

I think the last two Maryland winters with scant snow or cold spoiled me. I hope I can get the truck up the driveway when the time comes.

What the….

OK, I guess doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result ISN’T the definition of insanity.

Jason, that Penobscot is set up for my personal solo preferences. The seat is very stiffly truss hung – I used ¼” machine screws and heavy duty DIY wood trusses. In addition it has four thwarts, and may be the stiffest aluminum gunwaled Penobscot ever. That’s likely overkill, but the thwarts are positioned I specific locations to accommodate or capture gear.

With a three seater having all of the seats on truss hangers will help. As will (repositioned) thwarts where space is available.

A thwart behind the center seat will be the most advantageous, that being the widest and floppiest span of the hull, especially with the yoke removed.

A thwart behind the bow seat will help as well. If you intend to solo the Penobscot from the bow seat paddled backwards you may want to install that thwart with wing nuts (and lock washers, and maybe thread protectors, so the wing nuts can’t jiggle free).

Before you move the bow seat backwards do some measurements and make sure you have sufficient space remaining for a center seat passenger. Paddler size/weight matters, especially in a three person canoe, not just in potential spacing of seats and thwarts, but in handling and even safety.

Like Charlie said, the Penobscot is a pretty good tandem, and I find it an excellent fat boy solo gear hauler, but three adult sized people in a Penobscot is a load.

If your daughter is small/young it will work fine for some years, and it’ll eventually be time to add an appropriate solo boat to the now family fleet.

As you get into changing drops or moving seats please post. There are lots of little trick and tips for altering brightwork; I prefer thwarts positioned at least 3 or 4 inches behind the back of the seat frame if possible….using existing machine screw holes in the gunwales for relocated seats or thwarts is good, but if not you can plug them for better aesthetics with a pop rivet… a strap yoke (DIY’ed or purchased from Mohawk) is fine for short carries with a 3-seater boat…

Lesse if I can find one more Penobscot photo, just to press my posting luck.

Test load in the Penobscot for a trip:

[/URL]

And that time it didn't work

And that time it didn't work

Maybe it is insanity.

Once more, with gusto
[/URL]

Mike when you just left click on the IMG link in the little box on the right hand box on photobucket, control V will get the image directly pasted on here. Its kind of counter intuitive just left clicking .. on Photbucket a little overlay in yellow "copied" will show up.

Damnit Man! is that red strap installed as a seat belt?:D

Strap yoke. It works fine for short carries, rolls up out of the way when not needed and is always available. The outfitted Penobscot is not a light boat, so I replaced the Fastex buckles with two 2" SS d-rings.

I have seen Mike's Penobscot fully outfitted with the covers and all and it's quite impressive. Lots of thinking going into his work. I've borrowed or stolen a number of Mike's ideas for my Penobscot.

I've put this picture up here before. It's me in a green Penobscot on Lake Eklutna in Alaska. I had no gear and was sitting backwards in the bow seat. I was having a hard time controlling the canoe in the fairly light winds sweeping down the lake valley because the canoe wanted to lee cock with the center of gravity that far aft.

It would have been much easier to control the canoe from a centralized seat, where the center of gravity would have been much closer to the canoe's center of lateral resistance ("pivot point") and from where I could have executed bow control strokes.

Also, the seats were too high for comfortable and stable kneeling. I had to perch right on the sharp front edge or even come off the seat altogether into an Indian kneel.

Lake+Eklutna2%252C+Alaska.jpg

Last edited:
Jason, here's another version of the Penobscot. I picked this up as a basket-case. It had been trashed pretty good and the rails had been bent drastically. I managed to straighten them out, but decided in their weakened state the boat could use a little stiffening. I replaced all the seats and added a thwart behind the center seat. Also added a removable yoke (Wenonah hardware, but a set of simple door hinges will also work) ahead of the center seat. The boat is very stiff.

Ignore the boat in the foreground...

I find it solos pretty well from the center seat. Makes a pretty versatile boat, set up this way.

Steve, I took away your Nova Craft Prospector since I need it more than you do.

Did you lace those seats yourself with cord?

BUSH1126.jpg

Show off!

Yeah - I laced the seats with dacron cord. It's called a Belgian chair weave, I am told.

Show off!

Yeah - I laced the seats with dacron cord. It's called a Belgian chair weave, I am told.

Well, for calling me names, I've now returned your Penobscot to it's original condition.

BUSH1047.jpg

I'm not doing anything, much less showing off. These pictures are in your photo album right next to the one you first posted. Nice repair job.

Steve you better quit while you still have one canoe left. I seen this kind of thing before on TV. Glenn's some kinda wizard or something, don't piss him off.

Well, for calling me names, I've now returned your Penobscot to it's original condition.

BUSH1047.jpg

I'm not doing anything, much less showing off. These pictures are in your photo album right next to the one you first posted. Nice repair job.

Thanks. Funny thing is - I've been looking for both of those photos, and I can't find 'em.

edit: BTW - those thwarts......Galvanized pipe.

Last edited:
Oh - as long as we're on the subject of my other photos...

Here's a close-up of the removable thwart hardware...

Back