• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

New Adventurer in Utah

G

howdy all, new guy here in Utah. Recently purchased an 80s Viking Explorer that came with an outrigger. It was a stellar deal and it was is great shape. The versatility of the boat really drew me in. I was looking for some kind of water craft I could fly fish and camp from on bodies of water in and around utah and this just seemed too cool and perfect! Its 16ft, 89lbs, capacity of 1000lbs!!! People apparently fish from them, shoot rapids, and even cross the atlantic! I have always been a sailor and the canoe has the mount for a sail and a flat transom for a rudder/motor. Needless to say i am super excited to try her out! I am trying to plan where to camp for a short lake powell fishing trip next week actually...

I have been around water my whole life.. Grew up in northern NY, lived on the St lawrence River where i spent 19 years sailing, fishing, boating, water sporting, and all in all enjoying my youth! Its been hard for me living out here and not having instant access to water but I am coping! So if any one has some great weekend trip suggestions for me, speak up!

Hello Meegs13 and welcome from Ontario, Canada and from the wonderful world of canoe paddling.

Cheers,
- Martin

Welcome Meegs13, your outrigger boat sounds neat. I'm looking forward to hearing of some Utah adventures.
Take care
Brad

Here are some pics for you guys! I will get some better in water ones this weekend! and hopefully land some fish while i am at it. She is pretty heavy duty!

viking.JPG

viking2.jpg

Very cool. I hope you put it under sail this weekend Meegs13, and land a big one.

some water pics!!! I cannot believe3 how stable she is! I need to get a sail kit asap. This has really got me thinking of maybe doing a mississippi trip, and if i survive and enjoy it maybe around the gulf coast to the keys....

viking4.JPG

viking3.JPG

Meegs, you’ve got your priorities arse backwards. Since when did survival come before enjoyment? Just kidding. That boat looks dory-like. I love it. I’ve never sailed, but would love to see it plying some calm waters.
Take care.

Back