• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Neat places close to home

Reaction score
In old age I might go lake hopping later this month close to home.. Here are a couple of jewels I need to investigate. I have been to Donnell Pond once and hiked to the top of Schoodic Peak. You see the views of Acadia NP with no crowds and primitive camping

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parksearch/PropertyGuides/Maps/FullSize/donnellpondmap.pdf

That is after the Allagash Lake trip through Johnson Stream.. Anyone been there?

I have been to Tunk Lake and across the road is Spring River Lake where there is a nice beach where I took my Grandson to swim.

At Tunk, I had just bought a couple of canoes in Nova Scotia and stopped at Tunk to try them out, both leaked so it was just a quick paddle. Nice area, looks like some nice camping spots too.

On Labor Day weekend last year one of my sons and my grandson and I camped on Donnell pond. The site was nice - according to Yellowcanoe's map it is named "Under the Mountain". It was secluded, while there was activity at the other campsite, since it was Labor Day.

Yesterday I finally got out on a local river (the Presumpscot) which is near my home in Windham, Me. I was really tired after just a few miles, and I woke up today quite sore.

I was looking at Allagash Lake too, a lady I buy merchandise from, suggested it. Robin's comments on Tunk Lake sound interesting too! I'm going to canoe nearby most of the summer this year. I hope to go to Quetico in early September. Maybe I'll be in some sort of physical shape by then.

For Bob Mills and others too.. check out if there are local Meetups in your area. There are in this area of Maine..Next week the local paddling club is venturing on a river I have not been to on the west side of Sebago.

I have been interested in Allagash Lake for some time. The last two mornings were at Maine Canoe Symposium. I am a big fan of early rising and sitting by the woodstove in the dining lodge. There is a cast of regular early birds there. I got to pick Gil Gilpatricks brain for Allagash Lake info and Geoff Burke of Chocorua Boatworks related Tunk Lake stories.

Sometimes you get the best info fast by face to face conversation over coffee.

We have to unsore you Bob. But today is canoe unload and scrub day..

Back