• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

My version of a wannigan / chuck box

Reaction score
Last winter I saw murratv's thread on his wannigan and it inspired me to try one out. Must say, this one was a test run so to speak as I didn't know how it would fit into my camping style. Now that I've had it out on a few trips, I am a believer. I searched for pics of wannigan and also patrol boxes and tried to come up with something relatively simple, and somewhere in between the two. This is what I came up with.

Attachments

• photo3045.jpg
    photo3045.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo3046.jpg
    photo3046.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo3047.jpg
    photo3047.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 2
No Title

The bottom sits on top of the box frame allowing an extra space underneath for the legs. The attachment point for the straps is a small piece of white oak. I used the table saw to create a grove for the strap to pass through then glue and screw. It holds up well so far the heaviest I have had it was 5 8lbs and the pack straps held.

Attachments

• photo3048.jpg
    photo3048.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo3049.jpg
    photo3049.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo3050.jpg
    photo3050.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo3050.jpg
    photo3050.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 2
No Title

I cut 5 legs for this box. The 5th leg I didn't cut the top to fit the leg support block, instead I marked the rough shape of those cheap $10 Coleman propane burner and rounded it out so the burner will sit on top of the leg on one side and the table top on the other. I'll call it the stove support. So far no real problems with the wood and heat. Everything from pancakes for 8 people to fried fish and salt potatoes. Plenty of heat and extended cooking times. I tied the stove support around the box in the same fashion as the table top, using a truckers hutch to really crank it down.

Attachments

• photo3051.jpg
    photo3051.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 3
  • photo3052.jpg
    photo3052.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 3
No Title

With some practice in packing methods, I was able to go from the canoe to cooking in under 10 minutes

This winter I am going to make a lighter version, possibly from cedar strip and glass. 20 lbs is heavy on portage, and that's empty. I will back happy if I can get it down to 8-10 lbs. Even if I have to make it a little smaller.

Jason

Attachments

• photo3053.jpg
    photo3053.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo3054.jpg
    photo3054.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 4
  • photo3055.jpg
    photo3055.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 4
Thanks, we'll see how #2 works out! But we used to carry one of those fold out kitchens that you see at cabelas, this takes the place of that, mostly anyways, and they both are around 20lbs. At least with the box, the whole kitchen is included, not a separate bag plus the folding kitchen!

Looking great! I like the idea of the legs! I'm not sure how you could make it lighter, but let us know and show us MKII when it is built!!

Cheers

That is a neat Wannigan-Chuckbox cross over. Gotta be the most organized kitchen I've ever seen on a canoe trip. Like your method of using the 5th leg and lid as a support for your stoves to get that double burner thing happening. Well done. Let us know if you radically change the design for your version 2.0

Back