• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

MSR Fuel Canisters

For me, I have space and weight allocation for 1 canister, so I transfer to the fill weight before a trip and that works out for me, because I know just what fuel I have.

If you only have room for one canister on a trip why not just bring a newly purchased full container? Whatever partially used canister(s) you leave behind could simply be used in another setting until the canister is depleted.

It strikes me as an inefficient use of time to perform gas transfers. Safety issues also become involved in these transfers.

What is the benefit you reap from gas transfers versus using a newly purchased full canister?

Wasn't suggesting refilling propane, just that you can connect and use a propane 1 lb with a camp stove, using the appropriate adapter (during the canister shortage, I used this option and it works well).

BV not sure of the actual properties of mixing hydrocarbon liquids, but most of the "butane" (i.e. MSR) canisters also contain propane, just for that reason, it extends the usable temp range, as the propane will continue to boil off at lower temps. This will upset the component ratios and eventually during extended cold weather use of gas burning, eventually you get very little output even though the tank still has liquid. That would be the butane component that can't boil off at lower temps.

Since I camp in lower temps as well, I have a dual mode burner which allows me to invert the canister and burn the liquid fuel which gets around the temp limitations usually associated with mixed gas canisters.
Just wanted to make it clear some have tried it and it didn't end well.
Propane blends are a con! As you mention, the propane burns off first so that when you really need it, when the cannister is getting low and cooling itself through evaporation, there is no propane left. The fact they do use isobutane is a good thing though. Using a remote stove with inverted canister like you do is probably the best option though with a stove on top of the canister you do get some thermal feedback, more so with bigger pots, which helps keep the canister a bit warmer. You can enhance this with a "Mulder strip" a heat sink up into the flame and held to the canister with a silicone band. You can also stand the canister in a tray of water if you have some spare that's not frozen. Not cranking the stove to the max will also help reduce the rate of cooling

If you only have room for one canister on a trip why not just bring a newly purchased full container? Whatever partially used canister(s) you leave behind could simply be used in another setting until the canister is depleted.
Essentially, we are thinking the same thing, take a full cylinder, differing somewhat on how to get there. When I buy new cylinders they get dated and weighed, which is recorded on the bottom. When I get back from a trip, they are reweighed, so I know what is left.Once I have a few partials, I will transfer to make a full canister. Although you may have other uses for these canisters, not everyone does, so mine just collect on the shelf (they need to be empty to be disposed of).
It strikes me as an inefficient use of time to perform gas transfers. Safety issues also become involved in these transfers.
Obviously the transfers happen every few trips as partials collect, but considering that time that partials are used, it takes me about 15 minutes in an open area to top up a canister. How long does it take to go to a store and purchase the canister? How much much does that transport cost? I would suggest that topping up a cylinder from partials is a far more efficient use of time and resources versus going out to purchase a new canister. Plus you save the expense of a new canister, every few trips and draining those partials makes them ready for safe disposal.

On the topic of risks, Scouterglz rightly pointed out that propane transfers are more dangerous, the gas is just a different beast entirely .... not like a butane lighter lots of people carry in their pocket. Personally, I think the risk of climbing into the car to go get the new canister is riskier than topping one up.
What is the benefit you reap from gas transfers versus using a newly purchased full canister?
This might be the time to take a step back and realize that the camping landscape is a pretty varied scene. Lots of folks don't even use a small camping stove, some use fire, some have small twig stoves and Kelty Kettles .... I have even heard of people taking canvas tents and actually heating them with a wood stove (oh my).
The point I am trying to make, is that we are sharing ideas ... they don't always work for how everyone else does stuff. If the transfer stuff doesn't work in your case, it's all good .... if it looks useful, follow it up. The safety concerns raised for propane are valid IMO, however the smaller canisters of butane are a completely different situation and with a bit of common sense are pretty safe to handle (IMO) ... again, take a look, if you like it, go for it ... if handling gas isn't in your wheelhouse, just skip it .... it is just experience being shared.

Brian

The point I am trying to make, is that we are sharing ideas ... they don't always work for how everyone else does stuff. If the transfer stuff doesn't work in your case, it's all good .... if it looks useful, follow it up. The safety concerns raised for propane are valid IMO, however the smaller canisters of butane are a completely different situation and with a bit of common sense are pretty safe to handle (IMO) ... again, take a look, if you like it, go for it ... if handling gas isn't in your wheelhouse, just skip it .... it is just experience being shared.

Brian
Thanks for sharing the techniques. Your practice of weighing new canisters and marking that info on the canister is something i will adopt. When weighed upon return it should be easy to estimate what % of the fuel remains In the canister.

An 8 oz. isobutane canister will last my wife and I about six days. Here is how I cook when getting that usage out of a canister. I am using a MSR pocket rocket 2 stove and a GSI pinnacle dualist 2 pot (1800mL). I am only boiling water to cook. Trips are in the fall or spring in the northern US or Canada. I do not use a windscreen but protect my stove from wind as best I can. For the two of us, we usually boil 4-5 cups of water for breakfasts and 5-6 cups of water for suppers. No simmering or frying is required. Lunches are not cooked. My pot is large enough so that only one boil per meal is required.

So am I the only person that uses the float technique to estimate how much fuel remains in a cannister? Not as exact as weighing, but close enough and it doesn't require any additional gear (and you can do it in the field).

I use the wild guess technique for my solo trips, and am sometimes wildly wrong. I just always take an extra that is new and full.

Back