• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Morsan tent, ideas wanted

Reaction score
I just posted this on the Hot tent gathering and at first I was hoping that this tent could be converted into a small hot tent. Please look at the pics and the captions and offer some ideas. It was advertised as a 4 man tent but I was hoping those old tents were really made for 4 men, plus gear and some room, not! Looks like a good 1 man tent with a small stove, unless bunk beds are used. Oh well, cost $15. Interesting piece of equipment. Plus small world, the seller knew 2 people who I knew from teaching. Thanks for advise. David

https://picasaweb.google.com/109787809032966769551/MorsanCanvasTent

Look good, actually look like the ancestor of the Arctic oven tent from Alaska tent and tarps. I would add tie out mid wall to connect to the poles, make a fly and you would be set for cheep!! That said, I would inspect the fabric for mildew and look to see that it is still sound/solid.

used a similar style woods holiday tent a few years ago for a couple of seasons beside the lake -- punched a hole in the wall and screwed two roof-vents to it, one inside, one outside sandwich style with the canvas squished in-between and cut back far enough that it didn't burn...i used a sheet of tin round the back between the stove and the tent...

Canotrouge, I found some stains, not to sure if it's mildew. Suggestions for cleaning? Any sort of liquid to use on the canvas?

tump-lion - Thanks for suggestions. Guess I need to find a small stove first. Need to search for that.

I also picked up an old "never used" huge 2 burner Coleman white gas stove. Even had a cartoon direction in the box. Must be from the 80's I think.

I'm not sure about cleaning it, maybe you don't have to, for the price you paid, I would totally experiment with it and see where it brings you!!

A bleach and water solution (not too strong) sprayed onto any suspect mildew spots will take care of them.
It sounds like an excellent deal coldfeet. Where can you get a tent for $15?! And a canvas one too! If you're not using it during bug season there's no need to worry about zippers, they can be replaced with sewn on fabric ties, or loops and toggles. The Velcro sounds good too. I wonder if that exterior support frame provides a handy place from which to support stove pipe? Lots of possibilities with this tent!

Odyssey;n37534 If you're not using it during bug season there's no need to worry about zippers said:
Odyssey, that's exactly what I didn't think of, thank you! I have quite a few tents now and this one will be for fall and winter so no bugs. I just took it down this morning because rain is predicted today and letting it dry out in my house. The plastic tarp is pretty heavy and bulky. So easy to cut off but I'm going to wait until I really know what I'm doing. Maybe a partial cut out for the stove area like I see in some tents. Keep the ideas coming, meanwhile my wife spotted the Coleman stove I picked up yesterday. Will post that on the other section I'm guessing on traditional gear since it's an oldie (I think.)

Googled some small stoves yesterday, interesting. Wonder what to do with my -40f NF bag? Maybe a trip up north to you one day, thanks again.

I wonder if you could convert the back window/screen into a stove jack spot. I like the stove pipe going out the side rather than the top, keeps the cinders off the tent and you don't need a tarp with a stove jack too.
I like the idea of the stove in the center of the back wall going thru the wall (window on your tent) for 2 sleepers, one on each side of the stove. There are many floor plans to consider, especially if you plan to camp in deep snow. If you plan on more than two, like 3 or 4 people sleeping inside, I guess the stove should be in a corner.
Others with more experience might have better ideas, which is good. I'm just throwing out some of my own thoughts. I'm not a winter camper pro by any means
For that tent I would go with a small stove and 4" pipe. I like to nest my pipe in the stove, so plan on a small but deep stove, like 12"x12" x 18" deep the biggest. Even 10"x10" x 16" is good. 16" stove pipe makes for a good combined stove pipe going out the wall.
A big stove requires less constant attention but the bulk limits it's mobility. A small stove will heat that tent nicely, but plan on sleeping with the stove cold, for saftey and to conserve firewood imho.

I remember those poles your tent has as being pretty lightweight but very strong. I think I still have the poles used to hold the flap up at the front door.

Robin, glad you mentioned that idea of already using the window, thought of that also. Those poles are pretty strong and it's an interesting 4 corner attachment at the top.. Think Campmor bought out Morsan in the 70's or 80's from what I read. When things quiet down I'd like to talk to you or even drive up your way to show you the tent and ask for some suggestions. Also tried a few tarps earlier on it but since it's got that pyramid style top and rectangular blue tarp and my Kelty Noah tarp don't really fit well. Thinking about finding a cheap coleman dome tent on craigs list and maybe using that as a cover.

Sweeper - another good idea, thanks. I found tie backs on the front to tie the side door panels open, just not to sure about closing them from the inside.

My wife has started asking questions and Sunday is not a good day for me to "Fiddle About." In the words of Pete Townsend as Uncle Ernie. I have no idea how that flashback just happened. Thanks and Best health to all. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Should I ask here about opinions for the wood stove here, or post a new topic? I googled it and watched videos, so many. Can I get a good one, not to heavy and fits Robin's dimensions for $100-$150?

I used to have a Woods tent like that. It was perfect for fall trips.

Memaquay, you mentioned that you had some similar tents for sale? Maybe.

That's an old "tourist" tent. made to go up easy by one person for a quick overnight stop, and yes, that's a four man. looks like the canvas may have stretched a bit with time though, as the corners are usually a little tighter than that (but not by much). I know of a few people using them with stoves that were vented out the window, but it gets pretty cramped in there. They had no fly.

Also tried a few tarps earlier on it but since it's got that pyramid style top and rectangular blue tarp and my Kelty Noah tarp don't really fit well. Thinking about finding a cheap coleman dome tent on craigs list and maybe using that as a cover.

My brother had a Morsan fly for his Morsan tent, I used a blue plastic tarp when needed, yea it didn't look right. I think a nylon tent fly will work.

I thought my tent had loops at the corners, with a hook on it 1/2 way down the side poles to keep the tent stretched out tight. I need to look for some old pictures.

Probably will be tough finding a used stove this time of year. Post in Wintertreekking.com classifieds, looking for a stove, also ADK Forum. I look out for one too.

Robin; sounds like a Woods six man- they had an open eye bolt on the poles and a webbing loop on the body. The bolts were adjustable.
My Dad was a scout leader we probably had a dozen of these in our shed. One of our sponsors was a very large outfitter and gave us tents and gear to "field test" every spring. So I got very familiar with all types of camping stuff young.

Last edited:
Nice idea with the zipper tump-lion, thanks.

So, do I cut the floor out and leaves edges to fold out? Is that what they call "sod?" Or do I wait and cut out the area for a future stove? (still looking)
Seems like most tents that I've read about don't have floors. I'm guessing that melted snow from boots would drip all over and puddles would form. Thanks signed impatient.

So, do I cut the floor out and leaves edges to fold out? Is that what they call "sod?" Or do I wait and cut out the area for a future stove? (still looking)
Seems like most tents that I've read about don't have floors. I'm guessing that melted snow from boots would drip all over and puddles would form. Thanks signed impatient.
Floor or no floor that is the question..... I had both type tents, plus and minuses on both, but I would say more pluses on with no floor side!! My Arctic Oven had a floor, if you are a bit careful, it is really not a problem, but you do have to be more careful with boots and wood and fire. but really try it out with it and see how you like it. You would certainly loose a bit of weight w/o floor, you will also be able to have a raised sleeping platform, and a cold pit, so you can sit with your legs down just like sitting on a bench.... I like no floor!! But floor is nice in the shoulder seasons!!

OK I finally have to admit and ask, what is the definition of "shoulder season?" I thought that meant non boating and hiking or sled pulling. But that idea doesn't work if you want a light tent with a heavy floor. I did google it but some forums made fun of the term on other sites and I'm still in the dark. Thanks

When I have winter camped, we used a bell tent style with inner liner, single pole in the middle. There was no floor, just sod flaps so what we did was to bring matting.....coco matt, heavy woven mats like a door mat....that we put on the ground to insulate from the cold a bit. It was also easy to take out and clean if you had to. Sort of like the idea of using a floor of spruce boughs in the old days.

This works good if you are truck camping and can haul tons of stuff with you, not so good if you are canoeing. We did not use a stove, just heated with a coleman lantern.

Back