• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Morsan tent, ideas wanted

Shoulder seasons:

Quite simply put....spring and fall when the weather can turn colder and often snow, as opposed to summer which rocks for canoeing and winter which generally sucks for canoeing....unless you happen to be at the Quebec winter carnival...lol.

All my winter tents have had no floor. If there's snow I flip the sodcloth out and bury them, if no snow I flip them in and over lay a tarp over them. In both cases I put down a poly tarp that runs up the walls a couple of inches, but stops about 3' from the door so I can walk in and sit down with my boots on or stoke the stove without worrying about ashes or embers. if it's wet, snowy or muddy, I'll add a piece of waterproof canvas between the cots that I can pick up and shake out if it gets snow or mud on it.
On bare ground I use 10" spikes to anchor. In deep snow I use sticks for deadmen with cotton (light sashcord) leads that I can cut and leave if necessary- the animals will make short work of the leads in the spring, Or if I need to dig up deadmen (parks or sensitive areas) I'll use small nylon bags made from old tent flies, fill them with snow and bury them

Shoulder season up here is mid october to mid november and mid april to mid may.... After canoeing but before skiing... After skiing but before canoeing... I mean there is lots to do, but not these!!

Morsan, that sure brought up some memories! Morsan use to be located in Paramus, NJ. They were in the building that is now Campmor's store on Route 17. One of my first tents was a canvas Morsan tent. Thanks for the memories!

Was looking at this, so many differenttypes. Tough to find any used stoves this time of year and in the city area. Opinions? http://kni-co.com/trekker.shtml
They do have a larger one but it seems like I'm always going larger when not needed. I know, you can never have a large enough stove. Maybe the Packer model that is the next size up. thanks

So I finally caved in and bought a stove from Kni-co. After talking to them and realizing that I'm not getting younger or richer I purchased the Trekker model. Also picked up the stove jack and pipe angle. Idea is to probably use the center screen for the stove jack. Also have to figure out about cutting a hole in the top for a vent. Need to read and look online for ideas. Thanks for ideas.

This morning I cut off all of the zippers and most of the floor tarp. I tried my best to keep some edges attached for sod cloth. Not exactly perfect but it will do. Setting it up today after shoveling out an area and hope the stove comes in tomorrow. Will then figure out about the stove jack. Thinking of using velcro to attach so I can reuse it for different tent in the future. Will keep you updated. Hope to use it in 2 weeks when camping in Brookyln!

Stove cam in today! I fired it up for app an hour under part of the roof overhang while it was snowing out and then after it cooled down I took it into the Morsan and fired it up again. Pipe was sticking out of the triangle window in middle of the wall. The door flaps blocked some air flow so it got a little smoky for a minute, then it got better. Wife was home for lunch when UPS delivered it, that was a problem. I sat in the house putting it together with a big smile on my face. So happy, what can I say? Took some pics with my phone, need to figure out how to download it. Also have to have the stove jack sewed in and some other touch up ideas. Best to all.

Hello folks, just came back inside from relaxing inside my Hillary canvas tent that I bought a few months ago, probably 1985 ish. Added a Kni-co small stove and had the stove jack sewn in last night by a friend. whoo hooo! Bring on winter! The tent is a bit bigger and can sleep 2 comfortably on cots. Will work on the Morsan and add a stove jack to that for solo tripping. Who knows, maybe I will sneak into Central Park on night and fire it up! Will try for pics soon..Best to all.

Sounds like you might become a winter camping convert!

That set up is perfect for this time of year up in the ADKs...today snow showers, and typical overnight temps around 20-30F the next week or so...

I might just have to pack my Kni-Co for this weekends basecamp outing. (I have a 1974 Hillary, never thought about converting it to wintertime usage...too many tents/projects in the meantime)

Hello folks, I was given another canvas tent today from a dear friend, guess what? Another Morsan! Looks to be a tiny bit larger than my first one but this has working zippers AND a CANVAS FLOOR? Weird. Why would it have a canvas floor? ideas? Thanks Same color as the one in the pictures that Robin posted from our CT gathering last week.

Back