• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Mohawk Odyssey 14 interior and exterior rash

Reaction score
Always looking for boats and this Mohawk popped up 30min from home. It has been well used but there is still plenty of life left in it. It has foot braces installed and a strap with plastic click buckle right where one thighs would be. That is strange to me. I figured for $500 why not. And it keeps my streak alive for never paying more than $500 for a boat. I need to raise the seat some because my feet felt trapped under the seat while sitting in it.

I have 4 spots in the interior that appear to be gouges from a barrel and then of course the stems need skid plates. I phoned Jim D and asked for guidance. Do I need a patch for the interior repairs or just Gflex? I forgot to ask Jim if I needed a patch. I am going to go with Jim D's polyester sweatshirt for skid plates. The bow needs some impact craters filled first before the skid plates. Should be a fun boat.20240420_114935.jpg20240420_114944.jpg20240420_115433.jpg20240420_115500.jpg20240420_115509.jpg

Because I have it on hand I would add a layer of 4oz s-glass on those interior scrapes. If I didn't have any scrap fabric I would just go with the Gflex.

On the exterior I'm not sure I've seen that combo of severe gouging on the centre line with the rest of the hull being almost scratch free.

Looks like it was dragged behind a vehicle or something, in order to get that one spot worn down with very little damage around it. There have been quite few discussions about skid plates on this site before, those of us who build strippers would generally just use left over glass and regular epoxy and then paint over it. Those interior marks are pretty mild, but the same treatment could be given.

The most I'd do with those interior areas would be to spray paint them....but I'd have to be pretty bored before I did. They would be a non-issue for me unless they're worse than they look.

Alan

The bow interior is more raised compared to the stern. Gouges vs scraps is how I see it. I am used to working with fiberglass/epoxy so I will do a couple of layers for skid plates. This boat will be dragged very little by me so the fiberglass will be fine. I do have some old (10years?) US composite resin (gallon jug) and hardener but being so old new product is warranted.

I have had 15 or so boats in my lifetime and this is the worst stem rash I have seen. How could they?

The strap with buckle in front of the seat is a portage strap. Rest on your shoulders to carry the boat, unclip and roll the strap when paddling. There may or may not be Velcro or some other tie for the purpose.

I didn't include a full pic of the boat that showed the strap just pictures of damage. I have never been on a trip where I needed to portage or carry for any distance so the strap was strange. My first thought when I saw that was "Why would anyone strap themselves into their boat?" My week trips were Project Aware cleanups with JIm D. They hauled all the boats and gear for us. I am looking to get into canoe tripping hence becoming a member of this site.

I didn't include a full pic of the boat that showed the strap just pictures of damage. I have never been on a trip where I needed to portage or carry for any distance so the strap was strange. My first thought when I saw that was "Why would anyone strap themselves into their boat?" My week trips were Project Aware cleanups with JIm D. They hauled all the boats and gear for us. I am looking to get into canoe tripping hence becoming a member of this site.

Okay, I forgot the OP's description of the strap, thinking @Woodpuppy's strap comment referred to a picture. It could be a carry-portage strap, or it could be a thigh strap to control heeling (tilting) the canoe for turns and balance control while kneeling in rapids. It would depend on where and how the strap is located and attached. Pictures would help.

If all that external abrasion and damage came while paddling, it could be from paddling in very rocky whitewater rivers, which would be consistent with a thigh strap. Are there such rivers in Iowa?

Even so, that's a lot of damage, strangely patterned. I personally wouldn't worry about the interior scrapes, but the outside damage has to be repaired and protected with some fabric and G/Flex. Most folks use Dynel or fiberglass. I never heard of using a sweatshirt; it would seem to be unnecessarily thick. Painting the outside after patching will make it look better, although it will add weight and eventually scrape off the bottom.

Back